Jill's Stuffed Flounder

jmcquown

Guest
By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
1/4 c. minced onion
1/4 c. minced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
dash Tabasco sauce
dash cayenne pepper
dash salt
4 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbs. lemon juice
6 oz. flaked crabmeat
2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
2-3 Tbs. melted butter
Sweet ground paprika for colour
1/2 c. milk
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with breadcrumbs,
mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco, cayenne,
lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a 13X9 inch
baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder fillets in the
dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center. Secure
overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all over with melted
butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around thefish (this keeps the
fish moist during baking).Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily
with a fork, brushing with melted butter about halfway through cooking.
Serves 2.

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
>> guys on
>> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

> Thank you! Only thing I don't have is the cooking spray.
> I'll be making this later this week.
>
> nancy

I added the cooking spray to the recipe way back when; just brush the pan
with oil! I was what? 21 years old? A newbie to cooking and Mom told me
cooking spray was great! LOL

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys
> on
> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

Thank you! Only thing I don't have is the cooking spray.
I'll be making this later this week.

nancy

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 08:44:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
>
> 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
> 1/4 c. minced onion
> 1/4 c. minced celery
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
> dash Tabasco sauce
> dash cayenne pepper
> dash salt
> 4 Tbs. butter
> 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
> 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
> 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
> 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
> Sweet ground paprika for colour
> 1/2 c. milk
> vegetable cooking spray
>
> Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
> until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with
> breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco,
> cayenne, lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a
> 13X9 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder
> fillets in the dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the
> fillets, mounding it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in
> half lengthwise. Wrap each of the two halves around the stuffing on top
> of the stuffed fillet, covering the sides but leaving the stuffing
> visible in the center. Secure overlapping ends with toothpicks if
> needed. Brush all over with melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour
> the milk around thefish (this keeps the fish moist during baking).Bake
> for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork, brushing with
> melted butter about halfway through cooking. Serves 2.

That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 02 Apr 2006 08:44:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> jmcquown?
>
>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
>> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
>>
>> 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
>> 1/4 c. minced onion
>> 1/4 c. minced celery
>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
>> dash Tabasco sauce
>> dash cayenne pepper
>> dash salt
>> 4 Tbs. butter
>> 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
>> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
>> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
>> 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
>> 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
>> 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
>> Sweet ground paprika for colour
>> 1/2 c. milk

> That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and then
some.

I tried this out at a friends house and she tried out a (not so great) wild
rice dish. Oh well, we had fun!

I really enjoy trying to duplicate recipes I've had in restaurants, although
I don't usually have a peek in the back door (so to speak).

That's how I came up with my butternut squash soup, among other things...
just tasted it in a restaurant and decided I had to truy to make it at home
:)

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

> The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
> duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and
> then
> some.

This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

nancy

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

>> The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
>> duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and
>> then some.

> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
> Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey very
much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas. I
always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that I mostly eat, not
the turkey.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

>> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
>> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
>> Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey very
> much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas. I
> always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that I mostly eat,
> not
> the turkey.

Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were on chat
last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I had flounder,
Jill
mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I have a
can
of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to be.
That's
why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think I'll
manage
without it.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
>> Young?

>>> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
>>> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the
>>> chicken. Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

>> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
>> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
>> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing
>> that I mostly eat, not
>> the turkey.

> Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were
> on chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I
> had flounder, Jill
> mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I
> have a can
> of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
> be. That's
> why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
> I'll manage
> without it.
>
> nancy

Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little brush of
olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I recreated this 25
years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all that! I was but a
fledgling cook.

Jill

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:24:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
>> Young?

>>> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
>>> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the
>>> chicken. Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

>> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
>> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
>> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that
>> I mostly eat, not the turkey.

> Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were on
> chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I had
> flounder, Jill
> mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I have
> a can
> of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
> be. That's
> why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think I'll
> manage
> without it.

Yes, I believe you can. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
>>> Young?

>>> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
>>> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
>>> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing
>>> that I mostly eat, not the turkey.

>> Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were
>> on chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I
>> had flounder, Jill
>> mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I
>> have a can
>> of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
>> be. That's
>> why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
>> I'll manage
>> without it.
>>
>> nancy

> Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little brush
> of olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I recreated
> this 25 years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all that! I was
> but a fledgling cook.
>
> Jill

....And non-stick sprays were touted as a miracle.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> jmcquown?
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

>>> I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
>>> I'll manage
>>> without it.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little
>> brush of olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I
>> recreated this 25 years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all
>> that! I was but a fledgling cook.
>>
>> Jill

> ...And non-stick sprays were touted as a miracle.

You betcha! PAM was a girls best friend in 1980! I've learned since then!
The stuffed flounder is still fantasic :) Oh, and you can use catfish or
tilapia for this, too.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

<SNIP>

Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.

Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
good!!!

Jude wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
>> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

> <SNIP>
>
> Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
> weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.
>
> Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
> spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
> oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
> good!!!

Do with it as you will! I simply re-created something I had when I worked
at Red Lobster. I can imagine some cheese in the stuffing, and feta would
be great! What the heck, try some herbed feta :) As to avoiding overbaked
dry fish, brush it with plenty of melted butter and add a little milk to the
baking dish. I forgot to mention that. A little milk to the baking dish
with fish keeps it moist.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> Jude wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
> >> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
> > weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.
> >
> > Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
> > spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
> > oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
> > good!!!

> Do with it as you will! I simply re-created something I had when I worked
> at Red Lobster. I can imagine some cheese in the stuffing, and feta would
> be great! What the heck, try some herbed feta :)

You should seriously consider it. I know you like fish, and when you go
greek style (I forgot to mention that I've also added capers and
kalamata olices to the stuffing), it's a whole different thing. Gives
you some variety, ya know.

>As to avoiding overbaked
> dry fish, brush it with plenty of melted butter and add a little milk to the
> baking dish. I forgot to mention that. A little milk to the baking dish
> with fish keeps it moist.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't make it, though, I had it at a place
called Gus & George's Steak Seafood & Spaghetti. Decent
hole-in-the-wall, but their crabcakes (same thing as the flounder
stuffing I'd guess) are better than their flounder. I generally brush
with butter or olive oil before baking fish, but the milk is a good
idea, I'll remember that one!

jmcquown wrote:
> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
>
> 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
> 1/4 c. minced onion
> 1/4 c. minced celery
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
> dash Tabasco sauce
> dash cayenne pepper
> dash salt
> 4 Tbs. butter
> 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
> 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
> 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
> 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
> Sweet ground paprika for colour
> 1/2 c. milk
> vegetable cooking spray
>
> Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
> until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with breadcrumbs,
> mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco, cayenne,
> lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a 13X9 inch
> baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder fillets in the
> dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
> it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
> each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
> covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center. Secure
> overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all over with melted
> butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around thefish (this keeps the
> fish moist during baking).Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily
> with a fork, brushing with melted butter about halfway through cooking.
> Serves 2.

It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
dots of butter and the paprika.

The crab stuffing is excellent. I'm just not sure about the wrapping
fish with fish with more fish. Using toothpicks resulted in fish
pieces popping apart. Maybe that's just the size of the pieces I got
or something.

Thanks for sharing your idea, Jill.

(Oh, and I served it with green beans and a wild rice mixture.)

Pat

On 4 Apr 2006 17:52:17 -0700, "Cryambers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
>> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

snipped bar technique
>> Place 2 flounder fillets in the
>> dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
>> it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
>> each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
>> covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center.

>It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
>the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
>up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
>stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
>dots of butter and the paprika.

I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.

Kathy in NZ

On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
NZ?

> On 4 Apr 2006 17:52:17 -0700, "Cryambers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:
>>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
>>> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981. snipped bar technique
>>> Place 2 flounder fillets in the
>>> dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets,
>>> mounding it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half
>>> lengthwise. Wrap each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of
>>> the stuffed fillet, covering the sides but leaving the stuffing
>>> visible in the center.

>>It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
>>the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
>>up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
>>stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
>>dots of butter and the paprika.

> I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
>
> Kathy in NZ

Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads of
various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate texture
compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to the process.
I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture of one such
recipe...

http://tinyurl.com/q73tb

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On 5 Apr 2006 12:09:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
>NZ?

>> I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
>>
>> Kathy in NZ
>>

>Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads of
>various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate texture
>compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to the process.
>I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture of one such
>recipe...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/q73tb
>
>--
>Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
>_____________________

Thanks for the link to the pic, Wayne. It's not how I imagined. I
imagined the fish was literally rolled around the stuffing.

Kathy in NZ

On Wed 05 Apr 2006 04:43:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
NZ?

> On 5 Apr 2006 12:09:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
>>NZ?

>>> I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
>>>
>>> Kathy in NZ
>>>

>>Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads
>>of various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate
>>texture compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to
>>the process. I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture
>>of one such recipe...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/q73tb
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> Thanks for the link to the pic, Wayne. It's not how I imagined. I
> imagined the fish was literally rolled around the stuffing.
>
> Kathy in NZ

My pleasure. As they say, a picture is worth...

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬