Jill's Stuffed Flounder

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
    the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
    1/4 c. minced onion
    1/4 c. minced celery
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
    dash Tabasco sauce
    dash cayenne pepper
    dash salt
    4 Tbs. butter
    1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    1 Tbs. lemon juice
    6 oz. flaked crabmeat
    2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
    2-3 Tbs. melted butter
    Sweet ground paprika for colour
    1/2 c. milk
    vegetable cooking spray

    Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
    until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with breadcrumbs,
    mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco, cayenne,
    lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a 13X9 inch
    baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder fillets in the
    dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
    it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
    each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
    covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center. Secure
    overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all over with melted
    butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around thefish (this keeps the
    fish moist during baking).Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily
    with a fork, brushing with melted butter about halfway through cooking.
    Serves 2.

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    >> guys on
    >> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    > Thank you! Only thing I don't have is the cooking spray.
    > I'll be making this later this week.
    >
    > nancy

    I added the cooking spray to the recipe way back when; just brush the pan
    with oil! I was what? 21 years old? A newbie to cooking and Mom told me
    cooking spray was great! LOL

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    > By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys
    > on
    > the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    Thank you! Only thing I don't have is the cooking spray.
    I'll be making this later this week.

    nancy

  4. On Sun 02 Apr 2006 08:44:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    > guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
    >
    > 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
    > 1/4 c. minced onion
    > 1/4 c. minced celery
    > 2 cloves garlic, minced
    > 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
    > dash Tabasco sauce
    > dash cayenne pepper
    > dash salt
    > 4 Tbs. butter
    > 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
    > 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    > 1 Tbs. lemon juice
    > 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
    > 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
    > 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
    > Sweet ground paprika for colour
    > 1/2 c. milk
    > vegetable cooking spray
    >
    > Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
    > until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with
    > breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco,
    > cayenne, lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a
    > 13X9 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder
    > fillets in the dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the
    > fillets, mounding it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in
    > half lengthwise. Wrap each of the two halves around the stuffing on top
    > of the stuffed fillet, covering the sides but leaving the stuffing
    > visible in the center. Secure overlapping ends with toothpicks if
    > needed. Brush all over with melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour
    > the milk around thefish (this keeps the fish moist during baking).Bake
    > for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork, brushing with
    > melted butter about halfway through cooking. Serves 2.

    That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sun 02 Apr 2006 08:44:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > jmcquown?
    >
    >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    >> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
    >>
    >> 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
    >> 1/4 c. minced onion
    >> 1/4 c. minced celery
    >> 2 cloves garlic, minced
    >> 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
    >> dash Tabasco sauce
    >> dash cayenne pepper
    >> dash salt
    >> 4 Tbs. butter
    >> 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
    >> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    >> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
    >> 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
    >> 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
    >> 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
    >> Sweet ground paprika for colour
    >> 1/2 c. milk

    > That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

    The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
    duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and then
    some.

    I tried this out at a friends house and she tried out a (not so great) wild
    rice dish. Oh well, we had fun!

    I really enjoy trying to duplicate recipes I've had in restaurants, although
    I don't usually have a peek in the back door (so to speak).

    That's how I came up with my butternut squash soup, among other things...
    just tasted it in a restaurant and decided I had to truy to make it at home
    :)

    Jill

  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    >> That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

    > The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
    > duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and
    > then
    > some.

    This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
    Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
    Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

    nancy

  7. On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    >>> That sounds so good, I could just eat the stuffing!

    >> The stuffing is the key! To hell with the fish! But, I was trying to
    >> duplicate what I saw being made when I was a waitress. I suceeded and
    >> then some.

    > This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
    > Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
    > Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

    I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey very
    much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas. I
    always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that I mostly eat, not
    the turkey.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    > Young?

    >> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
    >> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the chicken.
    >> Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

    > I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey very
    > much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas. I
    > always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that I mostly eat,
    > not
    > the turkey.

    Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were on chat
    last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I had flounder,
    Jill
    mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I have a
    can
    of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to be.
    That's
    why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think I'll
    manage
    without it.

    nancy

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >> Young?

    >>> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
    >>> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the
    >>> chicken. Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

    >> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
    >> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
    >> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing
    >> that I mostly eat, not
    >> the turkey.

    > Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were
    > on chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I
    > had flounder, Jill
    > mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I
    > have a can
    > of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
    > be. That's
    > why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
    > I'll manage
    > without it.
    >
    > nancy

    Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little brush of
    olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I recreated this 25
    years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all that! I was but a
    fledgling cook.

    Jill

  10. On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:24:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >> Young?

    >>> This restaurant I go to, they used to have a special called Key West
    >>> Chicken. I always got it when I saw it. Didn't get it for the
    >>> chicken. Bet this stuffing will be making me very happy.

    >> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
    >> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
    >> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing that
    >> I mostly eat, not the turkey.

    > Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were on
    > chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I had
    > flounder, Jill
    > mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I have
    > a can
    > of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
    > be. That's
    > why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think I'll
    > manage
    > without it.

    Yes, I believe you can. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  11. On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:05:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >>> Young?

    >>> I'm that way with turkey and dressing. I actually don't like turkey
    >>> very much, but we always have it at Thanksgiving and sometimes at
    >>> Christmas. I always make cornbread dressing and it's the dressing
    >>> that I mostly eat, not the turkey.

    >> Same here. Love that stuffing. At any rate, it was funny, we were
    >> on chat last night and the subject of eating fish came up. I said I
    >> had flounder, Jill
    >> mentioned stuffing it. Wait, I have shrimp in the freezer! Oh, I
    >> have a can
    >> of crab in the refrigerator! I have every ingredient, it is meant to
    >> be. That's
    >> why the joke, I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
    >> I'll manage
    >> without it.
    >>
    >> nancy

    > Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little brush
    > of olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I recreated
    > this 25 years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all that! I was
    > but a fledgling cook.
    >
    > Jill

    ....And non-stick sprays were touted as a miracle.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 03 Apr 2006 05:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > jmcquown?
    >
    >> Nancy Young wrote:
    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    >>> I have everything except the non-stick spray! Think
    >>> I'll manage
    >>> without it.
    >>>
    >>> nancy

    >> Of course you will manage without the non-stick spray! A little
    >> brush of olive or canola oil in the baking dish. Don't forget, I
    >> recreated this 25 years ago when I thought non-stick spray was all
    >> that! I was but a fledgling cook.
    >>
    >> Jill

    > ...And non-stick sprays were touted as a miracle.

    You betcha! PAM was a girls best friend in 1980! I've learned since then!
    The stuffed flounder is still fantasic :) Oh, and you can use catfish or
    tilapia for this, too.

    Jill

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
    > the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    <SNIP>

    Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
    weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.

    Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
    spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
    oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
    good!!!

  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    >> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
    > weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.
    >
    > Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
    > spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
    > oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
    > good!!!

    Do with it as you will! I simply re-created something I had when I worked
    at Red Lobster. I can imagine some cheese in the stuffing, and feta would
    be great! What the heck, try some herbed feta :) As to avoiding overbaked
    dry fish, brush it with plenty of melted butter and add a little milk to the
    baking dish. I forgot to mention that. A little milk to the baking dish
    with fish keeps it moist.

    Jill

  15. Jude

    Jude Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Jude wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    > >> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    > > <SNIP>
    > >
    > > Oh, I love stuffed flounder! Had some Friday night and the stuffing
    > > weas good but the fish iteself weas overbaked, dried out.
    > >
    > > Another idea - I stuff mine with a mixture of sauteed onion, mushroom,
    > > spinach, and feta cheese, plus some herbs (thyme, black pepper, and
    > > oregano). Aside from that cheese-with-fish argument, it's awfully
    > > good!!!

    > Do with it as you will! I simply re-created something I had when I worked
    > at Red Lobster. I can imagine some cheese in the stuffing, and feta would
    > be great! What the heck, try some herbed feta :)

    You should seriously consider it. I know you like fish, and when you go
    greek style (I forgot to mention that I've also added capers and
    kalamata olices to the stuffing), it's a whole different thing. Gives
    you some variety, ya know.

    >As to avoiding overbaked
    > dry fish, brush it with plenty of melted butter and add a little milk to the
    > baking dish. I forgot to mention that. A little milk to the baking dish
    > with fish keeps it moist.

    Thanks for the tip - I didn't make it, though, I had it at a place
    called Gus & George's Steak Seafood & Spaghetti. Decent
    hole-in-the-wall, but their crabcakes (same thing as the flounder
    stuffing I'd guess) are better than their flounder. I generally brush
    with butter or olive oil before baking fish, but the milk is a good
    idea, I'll remember that one!

  16. Cryambers

    Cryambers Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
    > the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.
    >
    > 4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
    > 1/4 c. minced onion
    > 1/4 c. minced celery
    > 2 cloves garlic, minced
    > 1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
    > dash Tabasco sauce
    > dash cayenne pepper
    > dash salt
    > 4 Tbs. butter
    > 1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
    > 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    > 1 Tbs. lemon juice
    > 6 oz. flaked crabmeat
    > 2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
    > 2-3 Tbs. melted butter
    > Sweet ground paprika for colour
    > 1/2 c. milk
    > vegetable cooking spray
    >
    > Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
    > until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with breadcrumbs,
    > mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco, cayenne,
    > lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing.Spray a 13X9 inch
    > baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder fillets in the
    > dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
    > it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
    > each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
    > covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center. Secure
    > overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all over with melted
    > butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around thefish (this keeps the
    > fish moist during baking).Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily
    > with a fork, brushing with melted butter about halfway through cooking.
    > Serves 2.

    It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
    the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
    up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
    stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
    dots of butter and the paprika.

    The crab stuffing is excellent. I'm just not sure about the wrapping
    fish with fish with more fish. Using toothpicks resulted in fish
    pieces popping apart. Maybe that's just the size of the pieces I got
    or something.

    Thanks for sharing your idea, Jill.

    (Oh, and I served it with green beans and a wild rice mixture.)

    Pat

  17. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 4 Apr 2006 17:52:17 -0700, "Cryambers" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >jmcquown wrote:
    >> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the guys on
    >> the line at Red Lobster back in 1981.

    snipped bar technique
    >> Place 2 flounder fillets in the
    >> dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
    >> it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
    >> each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
    >> covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center.

    >It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
    >the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
    >up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
    >stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
    >dots of butter and the paprika.

    I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.

    Kathy in NZ

  18. On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    NZ?

    > On 4 Apr 2006 17:52:17 -0700, "Cryambers" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>jmcquown wrote:
    >>> By request from Nancy. I figured out how to do this by watching the
    >>> guys on the line at Red Lobster back in 1981. snipped bar technique
    >>> Place 2 flounder fillets in the
    >>> dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets,
    >>> mounding it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half
    >>> lengthwise. Wrap each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of
    >>> the stuffed fillet, covering the sides but leaving the stuffing
    >>> visible in the center.

    >>It tasted great, but I had some trouble with the technique. Wrapping
    >>the fillets around the stuffing resulted in kind of a mess, and I ended
    >>up just topping a bunch of flounder fillets with the crab-shrimp
    >>stuffing, which was very good. I topped the fillets with that and some
    >>dots of butter and the paprika.

    > I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
    >
    > Kathy in NZ

    Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads of
    various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate texture
    compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to the process.
    I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture of one such
    recipe...

    http://tinyurl.com/q73tb

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  19. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 12:09:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    >NZ?

    >> I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
    >>
    >> Kathy in NZ
    >>

    >Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads of
    >various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate texture
    >compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to the process.
    >I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture of one such
    >recipe...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/q73tb
    >
    >--
    >Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    >_____________________

    Thanks for the link to the pic, Wayne. It's not how I imagined. I
    imagined the fish was literally rolled around the stuffing.

    Kathy in NZ

  20. On Wed 05 Apr 2006 04:43:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    NZ?

    > On 5 Apr 2006 12:09:31 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed 05 Apr 2006 12:15:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    >>NZ?

    >>> I also wondered about the technique. Flounder are very delicate.
    >>>
    >>> Kathy in NZ
    >>>

    >>Rolled stuffed flounder or even sole is not uncommon. There are scads
    >>of various recipes using this technique. Most fish has a delicate
    >>texture compared to meat. I assume handling with care is necessary to
    >>the process. I have to admit that I've not tried it. Here's a picture
    >>of one such recipe...
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/q73tb
    >>
    >>--
    >>Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

    > Thanks for the link to the pic, Wayne. It's not how I imagined. I
    > imagined the fish was literally rolled around the stuffing.
    >
    > Kathy in NZ

    My pleasure. As they say, a picture is worth...

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬