Jim vs Ed & riding a bent again after a long layoff

Jim McNamara

Guest
Hi,

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the readership, I will chance commenting on two topics that
have been bugging me ever since I failed to address them during my previous flame war with Ed Gin.
Call it unfinished business ... things left unsaid. For those of you that followed the various
threads, you will understand. For those of you that did not, ignore this unless you care to go
back and read all that stuff (not recommended). With that said, I'll try to be brief. Here is what
went unsaid.

The censor of the Monkey Island Forum, Ed Gin, implied that he didn't expect me to make any cycling
related post on BROL that would prove worthwhile. I rarely pay BROL a visit. Be that as it may
though, in the past, I informed Ed that I wasn't put on God's green earth to either live up to his
whimsical expectations, to dance to his music or to be judged by him. Ed is incapable of making an
objective, unprejudiced, unbiased evaluation of a post from someone he vehemently disdains, namely
me. How can a man who deleted the posts I made at Monkey Island (including innocuous, informational
ones) delude himself into believing that he is impartial and qualified to stand in judgment of me or
anything I do? What Ed thinks of me and whatever I've done in the past or whatever I will do in the
future, is of no consequence because Ed Gin is of no consequence. In the Ed vs. Jim, posts I was
forthcoming regarding how I feel about Ed. Deceitful hypocrite that he has proven himself to be, Ed
claims that he harbors no ill-will toward me and even pretends to wish me well. This is not
corroborated by his countless vitriolic posts. Ed's numerous virulent (including his sock-puppet
pseudo) posts attest to his genuine feelings in utter contradiction of his pretence of feigned
sincerity and tenderheartedness. Ed's asseverations, like Ed, are a sham. OK, I feel much, much
better now that I got that out of my system. Unfinished business ... now finished ... time to move
on. No flames please.

On the lighter side, now for some mandatory HPV content. I hadn't done a ride since October 31st.
Early in the season, when I got flat on my P38, I jumped on my upright and was still riding and
enjoying it some 4000 plus miles later. Well, yesterday I finally fixed the flat on my recumbent and
went out for a spin. I felt surprising comfortable on my P38, almost like I hadn't even been off it
for any length of time, except I was quickly reminded of just how differently the set of leg muscles
are that come into play when riding a recumbent. Yesterday's ride proved interesting. It was warm
enough at 61 degrees, but the wind was horrendous and it ushered in a cold front. When I felt the
wind pick up and the colder air start to roll in, I called the ride off after only 10 miles. By
then, the wind was around 40 mph and gusty. Later on it reached 60 mph. Anyone who rode yesterday in
the Midwest can attest to the challenge that the wind presented. It was not unique the to the "Windy
City". I am anxious to put in a few more miles on my P38 since I have little more than 700 miles on
it this year, but I prefer really not to ride in the cold, so it all depends on when winter arrives
to stay. Today might just reach 40 degrees F. with winds 25-37 and gusts approaching 40 mph. I think
I'll take a pass on today.

Jim McNamara

[email protected] (Jim McNamara) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> At the risk of incurring the wrath of the readership, I will chance commenting on two topics that
> have been bugging me ever since I failed to address them during my previous flame war with Ed Gin.
> Call it unfinished business ... things left unsaid. For those of you that followed the various
> threads, you will understand. For those of you that did not, ignore this unless you care to go
> back and read all that stuff (not recommended). With that said, I'll try to be brief. Here is what
> went unsaid.

People from Forest Glen are can be so verbose.

<====]==+ Ninja +==[====

that guy ed really bites the big one. i really wonder what he does for a living. if he got paid for
giving advice he should be fired. i would not want to work with him.

Jerry

[email protected] (Jim McNamara) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]
> On the lighter side, now for some mandatory HPV content. I hadn't done a ride since October 31st.
> Early in the season, when I got flat on my P38, I jumped on my upright and was still riding and
> enjoying it some 4000 plus miles later. Well, yesterday I finally fixed the flat on my recumbent
> and went out for a spin. I felt surprising comfortable on my P38, almost like I hadn't even been
> off it for any length of time, except I was quickly reminded of just how differently the set of
> leg muscles are that come into play when riding a recumbent. Yesterday's ride proved interesting.
> It was warm enough at 61 degrees, but the wind was horrendous and it ushered in a cold front. When
> I felt the wind pick up and the colder air start to roll in, I called the ride off after only 10
> miles. By then, the wind was around 40 mph and gusty. Later on it reached 60 mph. Anyone who rode
> yesterday in the Midwest can attest to the challenge that the wind presented. It was not unique
> the to the "Windy City". I am anxious to put in a few more miles on my P38 since I have little
> more than 700 miles on it this year, but I prefer really not to ride in the cold, so it all
> depends on when winter arrives to stay. Today might just reach 40 degrees F. with winds 25-37 and
> gusts approaching 40 mph. I think I'll take a pass on today.
>
> Jim McNamara

Jim, your tale of battling the wind is an everyday occurrence here in SW Minnesota. It is always
blowing between 15 - 25 mph year around. The few days when it is not blowing it is downright eerie.
I have spent the last 20 years cursing the wind. It detracts enormously from pleasant cycling. I
believe I would rather put up with a lot of hills than the constant and eternal wind. It is enough
to drive a person crazy. I normally stay in town when the wind is howling as it is just too
unpleasant to go out into the country side and have to face that
g.d. wind.

I have read in geography books that the aboriginal inhabitants of Tierra Del Fuego on the southern
extremity of South America (Chile - Argentina) were literally driven insane by the constant powerful
winds that blew there year around. I do not find this hard to understand at all.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Some days living in the FL Keys I felt if the damn wind didn't stop right NOW I'd go nuts. People
asked me why I rode a 21 speed bike in flat country. Hell, when I "flew" southwest at 25 mph I was
barely pedaling. BUT when I returned to the northeast I was often in granny gear.

--
news:[email protected]...

Edward Dolan wrote:
> ... Jim, your tale of battling the wind is an everyday occurrence here in SW Minnesota. It is
> always blowing between 15 - 25 mph year around. The few days when it is not blowing it is
> downright eerie. I have spent the last 20 years cursing the wind. It detracts enormously from
> pleasant cycling. I believe I would rather put up with a lot of hills than the constant and
> eternal wind. It is enough to drive a person crazy. I normally stay in town when the wind is
> howling as it is just too unpleasant to go out into the country side and have to face that
> g.d. wind.

A used RANS Gemini [1] would be a solution - let the wind be your friend.

[1] <http://www.ransbikes.com/images/25c_8.jpg>

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Hi Ed,

Well they call Chicago the "Windy City", but for different reasons than the wind here. It is common
for us to experience pretty much the same windy conditions that you do in Minnesota, especialy in
the Fall of the year. When it gets to 30 mph plus and gusty, riding is just not fun anymore. At 40
mph it becomes intollerable, but a bit after I called it quits, the winds reached 60 mph. I've never
ridden in winds over 50 mph and at 50 mph, ridiing really is a struggle. I did a 60 mile ride once
in winds topping 40 mph. Needless to say it was a trying ride, but I got a good workout.

Jim McNamara

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Jim McNamara) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> Jim, your tale of battling the wind is an everyday occurrence here in SW Minnesota. It is always
> blowing between 15 - 25 mph year around. The few days when it is not blowing it is downright
> eerie. I have spent the last 20 years cursing the wind. It detracts enormously from pleasant
> cycling. I believe I would rather put up with a lot of hills than the constant and eternal wind.
> It is enough to drive a person crazy. I normally stay in town when the wind is howling as it is
> just too unpleasant to go out into the country side and have to face that
> g.d. wind.
>
> I have read in geography books that the aboriginal inhabitants of Tierra Del Fuego on the southern
> extremity of South America (Chile - Argentina) were literally driven insane by the constant
> powerful winds that blew there year around. I do not find this hard to understand at all.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Bob,

I lived in Bremerhaven, Germany for about a year. The wind usually had the flag out the window of my
office horizontal most days. I rode an upright then and got the full brunt of the wind. I made sure
that I always rode upwind on the first half of a ride. One particular day I remember turning back
towards home. With a strong wind at my back I easily got up to 30 mph and found myself riding along
in a eerie silence as my speed pretty much matched that of the wind. I thought at time that must be
what it was like to be Greg LeMond, except of course he would have been doing 40+ in the same
conditions.

Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Some days living in the FL Keys I felt if the damn wind didn't stop right NOW I'd go nuts. People
> asked me why I rode a 21 speed bike in flat country. Hell, when I "flew" southwest at 25 mph I was
> barely pedaling. BUT when I returned to the northeast I was often in granny gear.

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > ... Jim, your tale of battling the wind is an everyday occurrence here in SW Minnesota. It is
> > always blowing between 15 - 25 mph year around. The few days when it is not blowing it is
> > downright eerie. I have spent the last 20 years cursing the wind. It detracts enormously from
> > pleasant cycling. I believe I would rather put up with a lot of hills than the constant and
> > eternal wind. It is enough to drive a person crazy. I normally stay in town when the wind is
> > howling as it is just too unpleasant to go out into the country side and have to face that
> > g.d. wind.
>
> A used RANS Gemini [1] would be a solution - let the wind be your friend.
>
> [1] <http://www.ransbikes.com/images/25c_8.jpg>
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

I am well acquainted with the early history of RANS as a sail trike manufacturer. I think the only
place those contraptions would ever work would be a dried lake bed out in the Mojave Desert of
California or the Great Salt Lake Flats of Utah. Unfortunately, for the rest of us the wind is our
eternal enemy. The few days when there is not a wind here in SW Minnesota I fly on my recumbents and
think I am in heaven. All wind when you are on a bicycle feels essentially like some kind of
headwind unless you have got it exactly in your tail. I could die happy if there was never any wind
again in my life. But it is my understanding that wind is quite necessary in order to equalize the
temperatures between the poles and the equator.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Jim McNamara) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Hi Ed,
>
> Well they call Chicago the "Windy City", but for different reasons than the wind here. It is
> common for us to experience pretty much the same windy conditions that you do in Minnesota,
> especially in the Fall of the year. When it gets to 30 mph plus and gusty, riding is just not fun
> anymore. At 40 mph it becomes intolerable, but a bit after I called it quits, the winds reached 60
> mph. I've never ridden in winds over 50 mph and at 50 mph, riding really is a struggle. I did a 60
> mile ride once in winds topping 40 mph. Needless to say it was a trying ride, but I got a good
> workout.

Jim, anything over 25 mph and I refuse to go out anymore. I am fed up with constantly having to
fight the wind. Anyone who can ride in winds up to 40 mph has my undying respect.

I once did a week long tour in Nebraska (BRAN) and the first day out it was incredibly windy.
Everyone was going about 8 mph and they all said it was the slowest they had ever gone in their
lives. It just seemed like another normal cycling day to me and I was used to going 8 mph. But
frankly, I am getting tired of it. I will no longer go out of town if the wind is above 15 mph. I am
not interested in getting "workouts"; I cycle strictly for the enjoyment of it.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Hi Ed,

I recall reading in both Bicycle Guide and Bicycling Magazine an explanataion about why this A wind
not directly at one's back is, at a given speed, pereceived as being "in our face", I just don't
recall the the reason. This much I remember though. Rarely is wind squarely at our backs and as our
speed increases the degree of the angle of the wind at our backs becomes more a factor such that a
major deviation is perceived sooner than a minor deviation. It seems strange that any wind ta our
backs could be percieved as "in our face" regardless of our speed, but that's physics for you. I
just wish I could recall the explanation of it all. As I recall it was a rather complicated
explanation that I just did not commit to memory. Time to do some internet research.

Jim McNamara

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I am well acquainted with the early history of RANS as a sail trike manufacturer. I think the only
> place those contraptions would ever work would be a dried lake bed out in the Mojave Desert of
> California or the Great Salt Lake Flats of Utah. Unfortunately, for the rest of us the wind is our
> eternal enemy. The few days when there is not a wind here in SW Minnesota I fly on my recumbents
> and think I am in heaven. All wind when you are on a bicycle feels essentially like some kind of
> headwind unless you have got it exactly in your tail. I could die happy if there was never any
> wind again in my life. But it is my understanding that wind is quite necessary in order to
> equalize the temperatures between the poles and the equator.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Hi,

I just made a few corrections to my original post (below) that was pretty poor. I guess I was tired
and didn't bother to proof read. What I was tring to communicate is that the time when wind is
perceived as being in one's face is in direct proportion to the increase in angle from the
perpendicular to an imaginary line across one's back. The more the angle departs (increases or
decreases from 90 degrees), the sooner the wind is perceived in relation to our speed. As another
poster reported, on those rare occasions when the wind is really directly at our backs, we can
experience a stange phenomena of errie silence as our speed mathes that of the wind. It is as if one
was riding nearly effortlessly in a vacuum. On such days, one can be lured into a false sense of
strength and fitness. Then, when the bike is turned around, reality sets in and we are immediately
reminded that mother nature played a hand in our deception and that hand is now planted squarely in
our face and its payback time.

> [...]

> is perceived as being in one's face is in direct proportion to the increase in angle from the
> perpendicular to an imaginary line across one's back. The more the angle departs (increases or
> decreases from 90 degrees), the sooner the wind is perceived in relation to our speed. As another
> poster reported, on those rare occasions when the wind is really directly at our backs, we can
> experience a strange phenomena of eerie silence as our speed matches that of the wind. It is as if
> one was riding nearly effortlessly in a vacuum. On such days, one can be lured into a false sense
> of strength and fitness. Then, when the bike is turned around, reality sets in and we are
> immediately reminded that mother nature played a hand in our deception and that hand is now
> planted squarely in our face and its payback time.

Jim, that is as good an explanation as I have ever read. By and large, technical explanations are
wasted on me. But still I know exactly what you mean.

The phenomenon of an exact tailwind that matches your speed is one of the most eerie sensations
possible. It is very rare. I had this experience once in the middle of a Tour De Wyoming ride though
a slightly rolling landscape. I was flying with no effort at all. And it seemed like I was going
uphill because of the lay of the road in relationship to the lay of the surrounding landscape. We
all thought we had entered the twilight zone. Alas, it came to an abrupt end all too soon.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I experienced that in the FL Keys a number of times due to the way the overseas highway runs WSW,
which sometimes is exactly the same direction as the prevailing wind. I pedaled along at about 18-20
mph, which was wind speed. It felt like effortless flying.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> ... All wind when you are on a bicycle feels essentially like some kind of headwind unless you
> have got it exactly in your tail....

I recall at least two occasions when I was riding with just a front fairing [1], I was able to sail
at close to 20-mph without pedaling, and I could even get started from a stop without pedaling. In
both cases I was riding West to East, and the wind was coming from a SSW direction.

[1] Zzipper Road on a RANS "Wavewind" and Mueller Windwrap on a RANS Rocket.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman wrote:

> I recall at least two occasions when I was riding with just a front fairing [1], I was able to
> sail at close to 20-mph without pedaling, and I could even get started from a stop without
> pedaling. In both cases I was riding West to East, and the wind was coming from a SSW direction.

Paul Davies reported (BHPC Newsletter, Issue 58, Autumn 1999)):

"On 3 Tuesdays last month, according to my meter, it was blowing a rather windy 20+ mph (that's
moderate to fresh, force 4/5 for Radio 4 listeners), and being so open, Castle Combe is the ideal
place to practice HPV sailing. In summer however, due mainly to the convection that takes place, the
wind will be gusty and can vary considerably (5-25 mph). On such a day it is possible to sail about
half the circuit. I can't get going from a standstill, but if I ride into the area where the wind is
at the best angle, I can freewheel up to a mile at speeds around 20-25 mph. I've done this many
times in the past on my trike, but the bike does it better.( This no doubt explains some of Paul's
unorthodox cornering lines - Ed.)"

On one occasion in 1985, I and my heavily-laden upright touring bike were spun out in top gear for
about ten miles down the N7 in the Rhone valley with the Mistral lending a hand. Since top gear on
that bike was 87", this was likely around 23 mph, and the wind was overtaking me. Turning off the
main road rather spoiled the effect...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/