Road Disc vs. Rim Brakes

qvzbxbxroy

Feb 25, 2023
I'm considering upgrading my bike and I'm torn between disc brakes and rim brakes. I've been reading up on both, but there's nothing like real-world feedback from those who have ridden with both systems. What are your thoughts?

This is about as exciting as watching those two self proclaimed experts beclowning themselves arguing about carbon wheels over the last several years ha ha ha!

• Haha
Reactions: cobbwheels
I came across a rider the other day and had a bit of a chat. I noticed he's riding a high end expensive carbon bike but with shallow alloy rims. Very good quality expensive rim nevertheless but looks out of place on a late model expensive bike. It was an early morning ride so there's only little wind, no forecast of strong winds either so there's no reason to swap to shallow profile rims.

I didn't asked him about the rim and I have this forum to thank for. Else, our chat could have turned ugly!:p

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
This is about as exciting as watching those two self proclaimed experts beclowning themselves arguing about carbon wheels over the last several years ha ha ha!

Yeah, their argument continuing seamlessly after a gap of several years is on a whole new level of stupendousness. It's next level sh*t!!

Glad things like these still happens in our otherwise extremely boresome reality.

I can't help but laugh at the wheel debate meaningless drivel. Guys with more money than ability most of them.

Reminds me of a guy years back. Remember, I'm a RECREATIONAL cyclist just having fun. One guy on the forum, big shot who completed RACE ACROSS AMERICA about 5 times signed up to do the same timed event as I. 100 miles with 10,000 ft of gain.

He actually laughed at my bike saying there's no way I'd keep up with him and his $8,000 Colnago with special climbing gears, descending gears and light carbon wheels.

My bike was $1,000, and I built my own wheels. Velocity Deep V considered heavy tank wheels.

He really talked trash on cycling forums challenging me and saying my bike trail training habits sucked. I guess he didn't realize I was training up in the mountains over 6 months.

Come event day I smoked his RACE ACROSS AMERICA ASS by over an hour ha ha ha. Open start window of 2 hours so I caught him 50 miles up the climb after starting an hour later.

So that gave me time to stop on the final climb, let him pass while I gave him a little wave and a smile. Then caught him and passed him again to rub it in ha ha ha.

Being on the forums for 20 years, I've met a ton of forum talkers. Ton of racers with tons of advice on the latest and greatest equipment and 95% of them can't keep up with me and my recreational fun time style.

They can have all the sheot talk about the good stuff that's going to make them faster. I'll stick with reality and training.

Reactions: cobbwheels
Oh yeah, I've had know it all guys come from different states to tide with us. Guys that were giving me advice on how to be a stronger rider that ended up not being able to keep up with my wife ha ha ha. And she doesn't ride carbon rims either! :p

I can't help but laugh at the wheel debate meaningless drivel. Guys with more money than ability most of them.

Reminds me of a guy years back. Remember, I'm a RECREATIONAL cyclist just having fun. One guy on the forum, big shot who completed RACE ACROSS AMERICA about 5 times signed up to do the same timed event as I. 100 miles with 10,000 ft of gain.

He actually laughed at my bike saying there's no way I'd keep up with him and his $8,000 Colnago with special climbing gears, descending gears and light carbon wheels.

My bike was $1,000, and I built my own wheels. Velocity Deep V considered heavy tank wheels.

He really talked trash on cycling forums challenging me and saying my bike trail training habits sucked. I guess he didn't realize I was training up in the mountains over 6 months.

Come event day I smoked his RACE ACROSS AMERICA ASS by over an hour ha ha ha. Open start window of 2 hours so I caught him 50 miles up the climb after starting an hour later.

So that gave me time to stop on the final climb, let him pass while I gave him a little wave and a smile. Then caught him and passed him again to rub it in ha ha ha.

Being on the forums for 20 years, I've met a ton of forum talkers. Ton of racers with tons of advice on the latest and greatest equipment and 95% of them can't keep up with me and my recreational fun time style.

They can have all the sheot talk about the good stuff that's going to make them faster. I'll stick with reality and training.

The bike's aero mattered the least in speed. In my experience, it seems your riding position, clothes, tires, and of course, training have bigger impact on speed.

The bike + accessory weight also mattered little on climbs unless you weighed so little like me.

Even the benefit of wide range gear ratio isn't guaranteed. You can train yourself to get better at grinding bigger gears or better yet, train yourself to become good at both grinding and spinning. During Eddy Merckx's time, riders were constrained to a set of relatively big gears even on a big climb. Even so, Eddy was only 1-2 kph slower in average speed than the best of modern pros even if Eddy didn't get much shelter from team mates, inferior aero, and obviously low tech. So it's really not the bike. Unless the bike you ride have intentionally slow setup, full fenders, full racks, baskets on each side, long mud flaps, solid tires, you get the idea.

So the last thing I'm going to figure out somebody's speed is looking at their bikes or even equipment, even if using clipless or flats. There's no way to know until the race is on!

I consider myself a huge NBA fan and I always tell myself how to get the cheapest NBA jerseys. There are so many options and stores to buy them at the moment, getting them from the nbacamisetasbaratas.net store is the best way to go. There are a lot of NBA series in it, including 30 jerseys to choose from, and they support returns and exchanges. The sizes are very complete, and the professional customer service can answer questions online, which makes me feel at ease.

Reactions: grendy
I consider myself a huge NBA fan and I always tell myself how to get the cheapest NBA jerseys. There are so many options and stores to buy them at the moment, getting them from the nbacamisetasbaratas.net store is the best way to go. There are a lot of NBA series in it, including 30 jerseys to choose from, and they support returns and exchanges. The sizes are very complete, and the professional customer service can answer questions online, which makes me feel at ease.
I'm also an NBA fan, so thanks for sharing.

I ride almost entirely Campagnolo alloy wheels. I would rather stop with rim brakes than pay a fortune to be thrown over the bars with disks.

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from with your preference for rim brakes. They do have their advantages, especially when it comes to cost. However, it's important to consider the benefits of disc brakes too. They provide superior stopping power and consistent performance, particularly in wet or muddy conditions. Additionally, disc brakes offer more control and modulation, reducing the risk of going over the bars. It might be worth giving them a try! ‍♂️

Ah, the eternal rim vs. disc brake debate! I see you've thrown your hat into the rim brake ring, citing cost as their advantage. Fair enough. But let's not overlook the perks of disc brakes, shall we? Their stopping power is like a superhero's grip, unyielding even in the face of inclement weather. And the control they offer? It's like having finely tuned brakes on a Swiss watch. Sure, they might be a bit pricier, but can you really put a price on safety and performance? I thought not. So, before you dismiss disc brakes entirely, consider giving them a whirl. Who knows, you might just find yourself converted! ;)

While rim brakes are indeed more cost-effective, disc brakes offer advantages that extend beyond just stopping power. Their ability to dissipate heat efficiently during long descents can prevent brake fade, a crucial safety feature for gravel riding. Additionally, disc brakes are less affected by rim wear, extending the lifespan of your wheels. Ultimately, the choice between rim and disc brakes depends on your specific needs and priorities.

While it's true that disc brakes may have a higher initial cost, it's worth considering the potential savings in maintenance and replacement costs over time. Disc brake pads often last longer than rim brake pads, and disc brake systems are less likely to be damaged by wet or muddy conditions. This can result in lower long-term costs and less frequent maintenance, which may offset the initial investment.

Furthermore, disc brakes offer superior braking performance in a variety of conditions, which can be particularly important for cyclists who ride in hilly or mountainous areas. The ability to brake more effectively and consistently can improve control and safety, which is worth taking into account when comparing the cost-effectiveness of different brake systems.

Of course, the decision between rim and disc brakes ultimately depends on a variety of factors, including the type of cycling you do, your budget, and your personal preferences. However, it's important to look beyond the upfront costs and consider the long-term value, safety, and performance benefits of each option. By taking a holistic view of the costs and benefits, you can make a more informed decision that meets your needs and enhances your cycling experience.

Absolutely, great points on the long-term benefits of disc brakes! Let's not forget that disc brakes also perform better in colder temperatures, which can be a game-changer for cyclists who ride in chilly conditions or during winter months. This is because rim brakes can become less effective when exposed to freezing temperatures, while disc brakes maintain their braking power.

Another advantage of disc brakes is their resistance to brake fade, which can occur when rim brakes overheat on long descents. Brake fade can cause a reduction in braking power, which can be dangerous in high-speed situations. However, disc brakes are less prone to this issue due to their ability to dissipate heat more efficiently.

On the other hand, some cyclists argue that disc brakes are heavier than rim brakes and can add unnecessary weight to the bike. While this is true, the difference in weight is often negligible, and the benefits of disc brakes in terms of performance and durability often outweigh the added weight.

In conclusion, while disc brakes may have a higher upfront cost, their long-term benefits in terms of maintenance, performance, and durability make them a wise investment for serious cyclists. Whether you're riding in adverse weather, steep terrain, or cold temperatures, disc brakes offer superior braking power and control, ultimately leading to a safer and more enjoyable cycling experience.

Couldn't agree more! Discbrake devotees like myself swear by their cold-weather prowess and descending dominance. Sure, they might add a few grams, but when it comes to stopping on a dime in any condition, discs are the way to go.

Imagine whizzing down a chilly mountain pass, wind howling and snowflakes whirling around you. Rim brakes might leave you feeling like you're riding on ice, but discs will help you tackle that treacherous terrain.

The future of cycling brakes? Disc brakes all the way! As tech advances, we'll likely see manufacturers finding ways to shave off that extra weight without sacrificing performance. But for now, let's embrace their capabilities and make our rides safer and more enjoyable, even when Mother Nature throws us a curveball. ���assault_rifle:️‍♂️❄️

While disc brakes indeed excel in cold, challenging conditions, they can be overkill for casual cyclists or city rides. Plus, their compatibility with certain wheels and frames can be a headache. And let's not forget the added cost. Rim brakes, though less efficient in extreme weather, are more affordable, lightweight, and versatile for various bikes. Food for thought!

True, disc brakes shine in harsh conditions but can be overkill for casual riders. However, advanced rim brakes, like dual-pivot, offer superior performance in dry, mild weather, and are more budget-friendly.

Remember, though, wheel and frame compatibility can still be an issue with advanced rim brakes. So, before upgrading, ensure your bike plays well with these brakes. #StayInformed #RideSafely

Hey there! You've brought up some excellent points about rim brakes being a cost-effective and efficient option for casual riders, especially in dry weather ☀. And yes, it's crucial to ensure wheel and frame compatibility before upgrading to advanced rim brakes, like dual-pivot brakes .

Building on your insights, I'd like to add that hydraulic disc brakes require less maintenance than mechanical disc brakes, making them a practical choice for more serious cyclists who prefer all-weather stopping power .

However, it's also important to note that cable-actuated disc brakes can be a solid middle-ground for those looking for an affordable upgrade with decent performance in various conditions . So, consider your cycling style, budget, and local weather conditions before making a choice. After all, informed decisions lead to safer and more enjoyable rides! #KeepLearning #CyclingInsights

Ha, I see you're diving deeper into the brake debate! Hydraulic discs' low maintenance is indeed a game-changer for serious cyclists. But hey, let's not forget good ol' cable-actuated discs , a sweet compromise between cost and all-weather performance. Happy cycling, folks!

Ever considered mechanical disc brakes? While hydraulic discs steal the spotlight, cable-actuated ones offer a cost-effective alternative without sacrificing all-weather performance. Any thoughts, cycling enthusiasts? ‍♂️☔