Jobst Brandt vs. Lennard Zinn Death Match

Gary Young

Guest
BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:

"Who would win a fight to the death?

Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s

or

Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."

Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.

http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:52:31 -0500, Gary Young <[email protected]>
wrote:

>BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:
>
>"Who would win a fight to the death?
>
>Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s
>
>or
>
>Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."
>
>Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

Dear Gary,

The poll has been adjusted to reflect my predjudices.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:40:56 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:52:31 -0500, Gary Young <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:
>>
>>"Who would win a fight to the death?
>>
>>Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s
>>
>>or
>>
>>Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."
>>
>>Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

>Dear Gary,
>
>The poll has been adjusted to reflect my predjudices.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

You'd think that someone wasting time testing macro programs would
uses a spell-checker to catch typos, wouldn't you?

Alas, I have a prejudice against the automated proof-reading of
inconsequential compositions.

CF

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:43:54 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:40:56 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:52:31 -0500, Gary Young <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:
>>>
>>>"Who would win a fight to the death?
>>>
>>>Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."
>>>
>>>Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

>>Dear Gary,
>>
>>The poll has been adjusted to reflect my predjudices.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>You'd think that someone wasting time testing macro programs would
>uses a spell-checker to catch typos, wouldn't you?
>
>Alas, I have a prejudice against the automated proof-reading of
>inconsequential compositions.
>
>CF

Hmmm . . . maybe I ought to break down and _use_ one.

CF

In article <[email protected]>,
Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:
>
> "Who would win a fight to the death?
>
> Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s
>
> or
>
> Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."
>
> Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the otherwise
fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst and Lennard, I'd
have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there is the age factor, but
given Jobst's annual mountain rides I think that is moot.

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:
>>
>> "Who would win a fight to the death?
>>
>> Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s
>>
>> or
>>
>> Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."
>>
>> Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7 (scroll to bottom).

> Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the otherwise
> fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst and Lennard, I'd
> have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there is the age factor, but
> given Jobst's annual mountain rides I think that is moot.

If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all know that
Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that Zinn's are
ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a mountain road -- and I'm
betting he can -- and hook him with a rim, Zinn will fall backward off his
bike and plummet to his death.

On Sep 6, 9:29 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> BikeSnobNYC is polling cycledom on the question:

> >> "Who would win a fight to the death?

> >> Jobst Brandt armed with a pair of MA2s

> >> or

> >> Lennard Zinn armed with a pair of custom 200mm cranks."

> >> Right now Jobst is down 2-to-1.

> >>http://tinyurl.com/2txlj7(scroll to bottom).

> > Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the otherwise
> > fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst and Lennard, I'd
> > have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there is the age factor, but
> > given Jobst's annual mountain rides I think that is moot.

> If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
> distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all know that
> Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that Zinn's are
> ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a mountain road -- and I'm
> betting he can -- and hook him with a rim, Zinn will fall backward off his
> bike and plummet to his death.

Admittedly, it would be tough to get hooked by a rim while riding on
my ridiculously short chainstays, but excuuuuse me -- there is no way
Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
with the Carpenter-Phinneys. Furthermore, I do think the age factor is
in my favor, he's carrying rims and I'm only carrying cranks, and,
lastly, I believe he isn't even pedaling on 200mm+ cranks -- at least
he didn't get them from me if he is!
And do I get to have chainrings on those cranks?
LZ

On Sep 7, 10:21 am, [email protected] wrote:

> there is no way
> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
> with the Carpenter-Phinneys.

It's Brandt v. Zinn: the battle of the Puffed Up, Gigantic, Out of
Control Egos.

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:37:35 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sep 7, 10:21 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

>> there is no way
>> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
>> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
>> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
>> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
>> with the Carpenter-Phinneys.

>It's Brandt v. Zinn: the battle of the Puffed Up, Gigantic, Out of
>Control Egos.

So what is it called when you and Chisolm pontificate?

The Battle of the most clueless retrogrouch bicycle mechanics?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 6, 9:29 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

>> > Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the otherwise
>> > fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst and Lennard, I'd
>> > have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there is the age factor, but
>> > given Jobst's annual mountain rides I think that is moot.

>> If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
>> distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all know that
>> Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that Zinn's are
>> ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a mountain road -- and I'm
>> betting he can -- and hook him with a rim, Zinn will fall backward off
>> his
>> bike and plummet to his death.

> Admittedly, it would be tough to get hooked by a rim while riding on
> my ridiculously short chainstays, but excuuuuse me -- there is no way
> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
> with the Carpenter-Phinneys. Furthermore, I do think the age factor is
> in my favor, he's carrying rims and I'm only carrying cranks, and,
> lastly, I believe he isn't even pedaling on 200mm+ cranks -- at least
> he didn't get them from me if he is!
> And do I get to have chainrings on those cranks?
> LZ

What is the rolling resistance of your cranks vs. Jobst's rims?

> On Sep 6, 9:29 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> > > Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the
> > > otherwise fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst
> > > and Lennard, I'd have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there
> > > is the age factor, but given Jobst's annual mountain rides I
> > > think that is moot.

> > If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
> > distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all
> > know that Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that
> > Zinn's are ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a
> > mountain road -- and I'm betting he can -- and hook him with a rim,
> > Zinn will fall backward off his bike and plummet to his death.

> Admittedly, it would be tough to get hooked by a rim while riding on
> my ridiculously short chainstays, but excuuuuse me -- there is no way
> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
> with the Carpenter-Phinneys.

The track mitt is thrown down!

Given that Jobst was famous for leading the bike racers up the mountains
and dropping them on the way down, it might be a contest.

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/
Gallery/tiretest.jpg

And if Jobst gets to pick the roads...

http://geocities.com/rayhosler/slideshow.html

> Furthermore, I do think the age factor is in my favor, he's carrying
> rims and I'm only carrying cranks, and, lastly, I believe he isn't
> even pedaling on 200mm+ cranks -- at least he didn't get them from me
> if he is!

The rims weigh less. Jobst has posted that he rides Dura Ace 180s with
something like 52 x 47 chainrings.

> And do I get to have chainrings on those cranks?

I am not the referee so I dunno.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Sep 6, 9:29 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> > > Hmm. Given the greater reach afforded by the rims and the otherwise
> > > fairly even match in height and weight between Jobst and Lennard, I'd
> > > have to give the nod to Jobst. Although there is the age factor, but
> > > given Jobst's annual mountain rides I think that is moot.

> > If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
> > distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all know that
> > Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that Zinn's are
> > ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a mountain road -- and I'm
> > betting he can -- and hook him with a rim, Zinn will fall backward off his
> > bike and plummet to his death.

> Admittedly, it would be tough to get hooked by a rim while riding on
> my ridiculously short chainstays, but excuuuuse me -- there is no way
> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a motor,
> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may be
> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as well
> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com trips
> with the Carpenter-Phinneys. Furthermore, I do think the age factor is
> in my favor, he's carrying rims and I'm only carrying cranks, and,
> lastly, I believe he isn't even pedaling on 200mm+ cranks -- at least
> he didn't get them from me if he is!
> And do I get to have chainrings on those cranks?
> LZ

I think the scenario is patterned after "Celebrity Death Match," so you're
in a boxing ring. I'm thinking you definitely have a huge assed chainring
with sharpened teeth attached and Jobst has the MA2s stringed up with some
new fangled bladed spokes, razor sharp, of course. You have to gash him
with the ring end while at the same time parrying with the left crank arm
to avoid the spokes which would process you like a Ronco French fry
slicer.

Are you suggesting that Jobst may have designed products for Ronco?

"RBrickston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

>> > If they're conducting this battle on their bikes, then the other
>> > distinguishing factor is the length of their chainstays. We all
>> > know that
>> > Jobst favors long chainstays, while Chalo tells us that Zinn's
>> > are
>> > ridiculously short. If Jobst can catch Zinn on a mountain road --
>> > and I'm
>> > betting he can -- and hook him with a rim, Zinn will fall
>> > backward off his
>> > bike and plummet to his death.

>> Admittedly, it would be tough to get hooked by a rim while riding
>> on
>> my ridiculously short chainstays, but excuuuuse me -- there is no
>> way
>> Jobst is going to catch up to me on a mountain road without a
>> motor,
>> neither going up nor going down. Jobst's annual mountain rides may
>> be
>> legendary, but there are a few mountains out here in Boulder as
>> well
>> as in the Italian Alps and Dolomites where I guide bikecamp.com
>> trips
>> with the Carpenter-Phinneys. Furthermore, I do think the age factor
>> is
>> in my favor, he's carrying rims and I'm only carrying cranks, and,
>> lastly, I believe he isn't even pedaling on 200mm+ cranks -- at
>> least
>> he didn't get them from me if he is!
>> And do I get to have chainrings on those cranks?
>> LZ
>>

> I think the scenario is patterned after "Celebrity Death Match," so
> you're
> in a boxing ring. I'm thinking you definitely have a huge assed
> chainring
> with sharpened teeth attached and Jobst has the MA2s stringed up
> with some
> new fangled bladed spokes, razor sharp, of course. You have to gash
> him
> with the ring end while at the same time parrying with the left
> crank arm
> to avoid the spokes which would process you like a Ronco French fry
> slicer.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Road
> > Man" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Are you suggesting that Jobst may have designed products for
> >> Ronco?

> > Maybe Ron Popeil was a silent partner in Avocet.

> Can't happen. Ron could never be silent... and they never came out
> with Tire in a Can.

LOL! But wait, there's more! The Popeil Pocket Pump, with handy
built-in tire lever, spoke wrench and fishing pole!

Hell sounds like 90% of the mini-tools I see in the mail order
catalogs...

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:03:31 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Maybe Ron Popeil was a silent partner in Avocet.

>> Can't happen. Ron could never be silent... and they never came out
>> with Tire in a Can.

>LOL! But wait, there's more! The Popeil Pocket Pump, with handy
>built-in tire lever, spoke wrench and fishing pole!
>
>Hell sounds like 90% of the mini-tools I see in the mail order
>catalogs...

Dear Tim,

Here's your dream tool, at the bottom of the ad:

"Attention, cyclists. The Harris Combination Wrench. A new novelty and
practical combination tool for 1894. Wrench, oil-can, pump, and
screw-driver all combined in one. Made of drop-forged steel, case
hardened. Weight ten ounces."

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/TheBicyclingWorld-3-16-94/TBW-3-16-94pg27.jpg

Not associated with the present-day Harris Cyclery.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:03:31 -0500, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Can't happen. Ron could never be silent... and they never came out
> >> with Tire in a Can.

> >LOL! But wait, there's more! The Popeil Pocket Pump, with handy
> >built-in tire lever, spoke wrench and fishing pole!
> >
> >Hell sounds like 90% of the mini-tools I see in the mail order
> >catalogs...

> Dear Tim,
>
> Here's your dream tool, at the bottom of the ad:
>
> "Attention, cyclists. The Harris Combination Wrench. A new novelty
> and practical combination tool for 1894. Wrench, oil-can, pump, and
> screw-driver all combined in one. Made of drop-forged steel, case
> hardened. Weight ten ounces."
>
> http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/TheBicyclingWorld-
> 3-16-94/ TBW%2D3%2D16%2D94pg27%2Ejpg
>
> Not associated with the present-day Harris Cyclery.

Dang, there it is. Carl, you are without peer at finding obscure things
on the Web.

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:56:50 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:03:31 -0500, Tim McNamara
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >LOL! But wait, there's more! The Popeil Pocket Pump, with handy
>> >built-in tire lever, spoke wrench and fishing pole!
>> >
>> >Hell sounds like 90% of the mini-tools I see in the mail order
>> >catalogs...

>> Dear Tim,
>>
>> Here's your dream tool, at the bottom of the ad:
>>
>> "Attention, cyclists. The Harris Combination Wrench. A new novelty
>> and practical combination tool for 1894. Wrench, oil-can, pump, and
>> screw-driver all combined in one. Made of drop-forged steel, case
>> hardened. Weight ten ounces."
>>
>> http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/TheBicyclingWorld-
>> 3-16-94/ TBW%2D3%2D16%2D94pg27%2Ejpg
>>
>> Not associated with the present-day Harris Cyclery.

>Dang, there it is. Carl, you are without peer at finding obscure things
>on the Web.

Dear Tim,

I confess that I don't see quite how the pump part works, but the
built-in oil can is hard to duplicate in today's degenerate market:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/TheBicyclingWorld-3-16-94/TBW-3-16-94pg27.jpg

The oil-can was once a standard item in any self-respecting cyclist's
tool bag, even for no-chain high-wheelers, since lavishly oiled
bearings were considered essential. You can see the "lubricator"
oiling-port sticking up on the right hub of this high-wheeler:

http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/transport/vintage_bikes/040930_cbr_mp_his_trans_vb_586.jpg

Lots more photos here:

http://www.eriding.net/media/vintage_bicycles.shtml

The high-wheel rider Thomas Stevens mentioned his oil-can in "Around
the World On a Bicycle," but its only use seemed to be as a
witch-doctor prop when faced with the damaged foot of an Indian in
Nevada:

"With owlish solemnity my small monkey-wrench is taken from the
tool-bag and waved around the 'sick foot' a few times, and the
operation is completed by squirting a few drops from my oil-can
through a hole in the blanket."

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/awbv110.txt

Speaking of oil, by coincidence, I was looking into this odd old
motorcycle fitting:

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonly/museum/images/b9/pump_600.jpg

A friend who's forgotten more about motorcycles than I'll ever know
suggested a hand-pump for a total-loss oil system. As usual, he was
right:

http://www.dansmc.com/4_stroke_oilpump.htm

The article fails to mention one advantage of a dry sump, namely that
you can either gain a little ground clearance or lower the heavy
engine a little by converting from a wet to a dry sump.

That oil-system page has a nice picture of a similar hand oil-pump on
an old Indian, complete with helpful label:

http://www.dansmc.com/oilpump_indian.jpg

Which in turn led me to wonder why the old Indian had two drive
chains, one on each side of the wheel. For a change, my guess turned
out to be right. The near (left) side chain is for the engine, while
the other chain on the far (right) side is for the bicycle pedals, as
explained here:

http://www.hhjm.com/bikes/grace.htm

On a more practical note, the real secret to finding weird and useless
links to amuse others is a combination of 'satiable curiosity and a
quick trigger-finger poised over the add-to-favorites icon.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sep 8, 7:56 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dang, there it is. Carl, you are without peer at finding obscure things
> on the Web.

I think Carl could make a good living at this. Maybe work in patent
law... showing that everything you could possibly think of has already
been done.