Jobst Sighting--Hwy 9

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jun 7, 2008.

  1. I had noticed this fellow riding along Highway 9 in the Ben Lomond
    area twice before. This time when I saw him, I actually had the time
    to pull over and try to hail him.

    What I first noticed, as the last two times, was the smile on his face
    as he rode. He seemed to be deeply enjoying himself.

    He stopped at my upraised hand and I asked: "Excuse me, but are you
    Jobst Brandt?" With a puzzled look he allowed that he was and I
    hastened to explain that I was aware of him due to being a reader of
    the rec.bicycles.XXX newsgroups, writings on Sheldon Brown's website
    and by ownership of his book, among other places.

    Once he satisfied himself that I did not appear to be any more
    dangerous or deranged than any other typical usenet-poster, he kindly
    chatted with me for quite some time about Usenet and many things
    bicycle (far too many to go into here...Jobst has had some fascinating
    experiences and acquantances).

    Jobst was very congenial and generous with his time despite the many
    miles he had yet to travel to get back home. (I pointed out to him
    that someone had stolen his 3rd chainring and all of his larger cogs,
    besides, but he did not seem to think that that was a problem.)

    I had that unusal effect of thinking I knew him just because I've read
    his posts on Usenet (and FAQ's) so long, so it was a very pleasant
    experience to meet him for real.

    Thank-you for the great experience, Mr. B.

    Pureheart

    (Sometime I'd like to meet Bill Baka, too, as I get over to Sunshine
    bikes in Gilroy now and again...do you frequent that shop, Bill?)
     
    Tags:


  2. ZBicyclist

    ZBicyclist Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > Jobst was very congenial and generous with his time despite the
    > many
    > miles he had yet to travel to get back home. (I pointed out to
    > him
    > that someone had stolen his 3rd chainring and all of his larger
    > cogs,
    > besides, but he did not seem to think that that was a problem.)


    Well put!

    > (Sometime I'd like to meet Bill Baka, too, as I get over to
    > Sunshine
    > bikes in Gilroy now and again...do you frequent that shop, Bill?)


    Let us know how that goes.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    "When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl." -
    Anonymous
     
  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    ZBicyclist wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Jobst was very congenial and generous with his time despite the
    >> many
    >> miles he had yet to travel to get back home. (I pointed out to
    >> him
    >> that someone had stolen his 3rd chainring and all of his larger
    >> cogs,
    >> besides, but he did not seem to think that that was a problem.)

    >
    > Well put!
    >
    >> (Sometime I'd like to meet Bill Baka, too, as I get over to
    >> Sunshine
    >> bikes in Gilroy now and again...do you frequent that shop, Bill?)

    >
    > Let us know how that goes.
    >

    It could happen. I've been off this group for over a year now and just
    stopped by to observe. Imagine finding my name on the first thread I
    look at. I live north of Sacramento and have yet to find all the places
    in the mountains that I can reach. Last year I rode to Timbuctoo and
    back. It's a real, deserted gold rush town that has crumbled into the
    ground, and there are more to find. I'm open to a ride with someone
    after July when I lose my winter weight that I gained from slacking off.
    Cheers,
    Bill Baka
     
  4. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    On Jun 7, 3:31 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > He stopped at my upraised hand and I asked: "Excuse me, but are you
    > Jobst Brandt?" With a puzzled look he allowed that he was and I
    > hastened to explain that I was aware of him due to being a reader of
    > the rec.bicycles.XXX newsgroups


    There are XXX rated bike newsgroups? I thought they were mainly R-
    rated due to the language. ;)

    R
     
Loading...
Loading...