Jock itch / crotch rot - how to get rid of it?!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
I was out riding 4 weeks ago today and had really sore neither regions.

My butt is pretty hard from riding so I thought it was strange.

I had a look-see when I got home and I had a rash between my leg and ball sack.

My wife who's a nurse said it the above.

I'm now on Miconazole cream from the doc.

Its slowly getting less red (more pink) and the patches of it (either side of the family jewellery) are getting smaller slowly.
I haven't dared ride or even go out for a walk for fear of aggravating it for the last 4 weeks so my fitness has gone down hill and I've gained some weight (not too much as I'm a Vegan so most food is low cal.).

What would speed up the healing process and when should I risk riding?

Get some talcum powder. Try medicated and it will help you to get rid of it. Use some Tinactin spray that will always do the trick. Ask your wife if these things with be ok she should know she's a nurse.

I had that back in the 80s. I used an anti fungal spray that made me jump about three feet off the ground when it hit the raw skin but it worked very well. I was on the bike 7 days a week back then and getting 250 to 300 miles a week.

Lantiseptic skin protectant on the tant. before and after really long rides helps bugs from getting to your skin let alone penetrating the skin plus it keeps chafing abay. always start with clean shorts and a clean nether region. i have heard from other long distance riders that lantispetic protectant cream will cure fungal infections but i doubt it. you need to apply an antifungal cream lantiseptic makes a jock itch formulation with 2% Miconazole....I'd try that.

Ohh I hate those crotch rots... They can be very painful and it feels like it burns. I would try some Talcum powder and moisturizers in order to prevent it from happening again.

Wash properly, don't use an anti-bacterial or scented soap of any kind. Clean underpants washed with an unscented detergent might be in order. Talcum powder helps with prevention. Jock itch and thrush are both fungal infections but are often confused. Look them up on Webmd and make sure you use the correct cream to treat it. I would avoid sprays, they can burn. Not a fun sensation in that area.

Wash properly, don't use an anti-bacterial or scented soap of any kind. Clean underpants washed with an unscented detergent might be in order. Talcum powder helps with prevention. Jock itch and thrush are both fungal infections but are often confused. Look them up on Webmd and make sure you use the correct cream to treat it. I would avoid sprays, they can burn. Not a fun sensation in that area.

Thanks.
I've got pretty clean habits!
We use plain soaps.

We're had a really hot Summer / Autumn (Fall for you guys) and I've spent most of it only wearing running shorts (no shirt).

I'm certainly not trying a stinging spray on it.

Thanks.
I've got pretty clean habits!
We use plain soaps.

We're had a really hot Summer / Autumn (Fall for you guys) and I've spent most of it only wearing running shorts (no shirt).

I'm certainly not trying a stinging spray on it.

Yeah, I used a spray one time. I think the whole neighborhood probably heard me holler.

You should use some baby powder. The friction and the sweat is taking the toll. Maybe even some cream would do the trick. I have never had these problems because I am slim and friction is not very intense. Maybe there is some kind of special shorts that will keep that area cooled and safe from friction.

I've only ever used talcum/baby powder in such situations and it's worked out just fine for me. I usually suffer from dry skin, but that's also due to the environment I live in. However, any creams haven't helped me out as much as baby powder, but then it could just be me.

Oh come on and be a man. The spray is only painful while it is stinging.:)

Definitely, talcum/baby powder is a godsend for those uncomfortable issues. I used it very often when I got crotch itches and jock rot. That always was a common issue to me, but never went too severe to be easily treated with spray and talcum.

Lamisil is the best jock itch/athlete's foot treatment. It will clear it up way quicker than Lotrimin or other treatments. To keep if from coming back, you need to keep things dry. Baby powder/talcum is a good way to keep that area dry while biking.

Lamisil is the best jock itch/athlete's foot treatment. It will clear it up way quicker than Lotrimin or other treatments. To keep if from coming back, you need to keep things dry. Baby powder/talcum is a good way to keep that area dry while biking.

Hogwash. There are about 65 different medications available that have the same active ingredient as Lamisil.

Hogwash. There are about 65 different medications available that have the same active ingredient as Lamisil.
This is what I meant. Terbinafine works wonders for jock itch. It eliminates completely and prevents it from coming back. I've tried various others like Lotrimin that help temporarily, but doesn't seem to eliminate it completely.