Joe Friel "Breakthrough" sessions are ....what??

JohnShutt

Aug 14, 2009
Read through Cyclists Training Bible but can't get my head round what he means by this .. anyone help clarify?

He means a workout that streches your body beyond what it has become accustomed to, in order to force adaptation and development towards a higher future work load. It's based upon the idea of supercompensation.

For example, if your routine involved riding 20 miles every day then a breakthrough workout might be a 40 mile ride, followed by some rest, followed by a 25 mile/day routine thereafter.

JohnShutt said:
Read through Cyclists Training Bible but can't get my head round what he means by this .. anyone help clarify?

Don't know--never had a breakthrough.

frenchyge said:
He means a workout that streches your body beyond what it has become accustomed to, in order to force adaptation and development towards a higher future work load.
It's funny because I have always believed in these *breakthrough* sessions (without given them this specific name).

I mean that while I know about and believe in the importance of the *longer term* effect, or put another way about the cumulative effect to trigger adaptation, I also believe that it's worth putting our full trust and focus to *this* particular workout in the week.