Joe Friel vs. Andy Coggan

MintID

Sep 22, 2006
Hi.
I'm looking into buying a PowerMeter to use with my training next season.
I've bought Joe Friels Training bible, but I see many of you use Andy Coggans book.
Is Joe Friels book sufficient for planing your season of training with power? Do I need both? or is the Andy coggan book far superior?

thanks for the help guys.

I have both books, and use the Friel book with Coggan's zones...

- That is, I used Friel's book to set up an annual, periodized training plan.

- I converted Friel's zones to Andy's zones... e.g. I use Andy's definition for "endurance", "tempo", etc - using power instead of heart rate

- I believe I am more in the stern / coggan camp w/regards to strength training - and don't do any weight training (with that "strength" time, i'm on the bike instead, pushing harder gears working on spinning higher gears)

I believe the books are largely orthogonal and complimentary. That is, Friel talks mostly on how to plan a training season for different types of riders (TT, crit, road) and different amounts of yearly training times.

Coggan's book focuses on how to use and interpret results of your powermeter. It does specify training zones.

Although there is a sample training plan ( i think a 16 week plan to improve FTP) - IMO, it's primary focus isn't on how to construct training plans...(or peaking - where their cycling peaks software now has performance manager...)

In fact, I wish coggan/allen would write a book that focused on constructing (periodized?) plans and peaking... it would be complimentary..

That's a pretty good summary - yes they are complementary. I posted this comment yesterday on another thread...

If you haven't already, buy the book "Training & Racing with a Power Meter" and maybe Friel's "The Cyclist's Training Bible". They would probably be as good an investment as any.

While some may not agree with every detail Friel prescribes, no one can argue about the basic principles he sets out: Such as goal setting, planning, periodisation, testing, training stress (frequency, duration, intensity & workload) to generate various physiological adaptations, principles of training (individualisation, progression, overload and specificity) and peaking etc that are outlined in the book.

Hunter & Andy's book deals much more with the specifics (and science) of training & racing) with power, less so about how it applies to planning your season.

dlinenbe said:
I used Friel's book to set up an annual, periodized training plan.
What do Friel's annual, periodized training plans look like with Performance Manager?

Personally, I would recommend "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" over "The Cyclist's Training Bible".

dlinenbe said:
In fact, I wish coggan/allen would write a book that focused on constructing (periodized?) plans and peaking... it would be complimentary..
That's more of a coaching issue, and it's difficult to put coaching into a book since it depends so heavily on the athlete (ie, reader). IMO, Friel attempted it anyway and that's why I didn't feel his book was as effective.

MintID said:
Hi.
I'm looking into buying a PowerMeter to use with my training next season.
I've bought Joe Friels Training bible, but I see many of you use Andy Coggans book.
Is Joe Friels book sufficient for planing your season of training with power? Do I need both? or is the Andy coggan book far superior?

thanks for the help guys.
Both books are a must have for anyone wanting organized training with power. Read them both cover to cover and then decide for yourself. I use both books. My off-season training is very "Friel-esque" with 3 base blocks and 2 build blocks, using Andy's training levels/zones. During the season, I have my own plan based on bits and pieces from both books, again with Andy's training zones.

frenchyge said:
Personally, I would recommend "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" over "The Cyclist's Training Bible".

Both. Training and Racing with a Powermeter will not help you at all to set up an annual plan, set goals, and schedule your program.

Rich Wharton's Watts Per Kilogram is also a good perspective

Spunout said:
Both. Training and Racing with a Powermeter will not help you at all to set up an annual plan, set goals, and schedule your program.

thanks for the help guys- looks like I'm going to buy andy coggans also..

MintID said:
thanks for the help guys- looks like I'm going to buy andy coggans also..
Good choice. BTW - I think Andy would be first to acknowledge he is co-author with Hunter Allen.

As to what a Friel programme looks like in PMC - well that's up to each individual. What Friel does is provide a process and framework to develop programmes. What you include as training content is up to you (with lots of suggestions in the book on what to include) and the specifics of your goals.

Definitely buy both. Knowlege is power! Pardon the pun but what can you lose from having more knowledge. You may not use everything from either book but guaranteed - unless you are Joel Friel or Andy Coggan :D - you're likely to learn something that will make you a stronger rider from both.