Joe Lindsey Article On Lance

> "Kenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html
> >

> Interesting link in it to a Sam Abt profile of Emma.
>
> http://www.iht.com/IHT/SA/99/sa071299.html
>
> I hadn't realized she was the senior soigneur while at Postal.

Is that date 7/12/99 correct? Sounds like she had the run of the place for
a while there. Do you think that's the last we'll hear of our 'miss Emma'?

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Kenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

> Again, Armstrong sidesteps previous history re PEDs and speaks only to his
> USPS tenure.

Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, so I see now that
reporters are careful to ask if he has ever taken enhancers during his TdF
reign or other careful wordings. The NBC Today Show lady Ann asked him in
this carefully worded way.

Dave

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
> conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
> until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
> true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
> performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, so I see now that
> reporters are careful to ask if he has ever taken enhancers during his TdF
> reign or other careful wordings. The NBC Today Show lady Ann asked him in
> this carefully worded way.
>
> Dave

Did you read 'It's not about the bike'? He states that he took EPO
during his cancer treatment, seeing as that's what it's made for.

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Kenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

> > Again, Armstrong sidesteps previous history re PEDs and speaks only to his
> > USPS tenure.

> Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
> conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
> until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
> true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
> performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, so I see now that
> reporters are careful to ask if he has ever taken enhancers during his TdF
> reign or other careful wordings. The NBC Today Show lady Ann asked him in
> this carefully worded way.
>
> Dave

I'm not an oncologist or anything like that, but Lance and other
cancer patients taking EPO during their treatments is not performance
enhancing, it's more like something to stay alive. So at that time,
I'm sure it wasn't performance enhancing at all.

Tom

"Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > "Kenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

> > > Again, Armstrong sidesteps previous history re PEDs and speaks only to

his
> > > USPS tenure.

> > Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
> > conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
> > until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
> > true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
> > performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, so I see now

that
> > reporters are careful to ask if he has ever taken enhancers during his

TdF
> > reign or other careful wordings. The NBC Today Show lady Ann asked him

in
> > this carefully worded way.
> >
> > Dave

> I'm not an oncologist or anything like that, but Lance and other
> cancer patients taking EPO during their treatments is not performance
> enhancing, it's more like something to stay alive. So at that time,
> I'm sure it wasn't performance enhancing at all.
>
> Tom

Isn't the issue raised by Stephen Swart whether or not Armstrong used EPO,
pre-cancer while with Motorola?

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Kenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

> > Again, Armstrong sidesteps previous history re PEDs and speaks only to

his
> > USPS tenure.

> Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
> conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
> until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
> true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
> performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, >
> Dave

This is simply not true. When he was taking EPO it wasn't to "enhance
performance", it was to permit him to live.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>...
> "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]...
> > "Pistof" <dataylor123@@news.twtelecom.net>...
> > > "Jim Flom" <jimflom@...
> > > > >

> http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

> his
> > >
> > > Yes, I had noticed this, too. By accident, I taped that Discover press
> > > conference while taping the TdF this year. His response had bothered me
> > > until I learnt that Lance took EPO as part of his cancer treatment. If
> > > true, I'd image he could never answer the question "Have you EVER taken
> > > performance enhancers?" without out saying yes or lying, so I see now

> that
> > > reporters are careful to ask if he has ever taken enhancers during his

> TdF
> > > reign or other careful wordings. The NBC Today Show lady Ann asked him

> in
> > > this carefully worded way.
> > >
> > > Dave

> > I'm not an oncologist or anything like that, but Lance and other
> > cancer patients taking EPO during their treatments is not performance
> > enhancing, it's more like something to stay alive. So at that time,
> > I'm sure it wasn't performance enhancing at all.
> >
> > Tom

> Isn't the issue raised by Stephen Swart whether or not Armstrong used EPO,
> pre-cancer while with Motorola?

I don't think Swart really knows whether Lance took illegal
performance enhancing drugs prior to summer 1996.

As you know it's all conjecture and the evidence is about as solid as
a balsa wood TT bike with pipe cleaner spokes.

-Ken

"K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>...
> > "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]...
> > > "Pistof" <dataylor123@@news.twtelecom.net>...
> > > > > >

> > http://www.mountainbike.com/community/article/1,4823,8762_441_P,00.html

only to
> > his

press

bothered me

If

taken

now
> > that

his
> > TdF

him
> > in

> > > I'm not an oncologist or anything like that, but Lance and other
> > > cancer patients taking EPO during their treatments is not performance
> > > enhancing, it's more like something to stay alive. So at that time,
> > > I'm sure it wasn't performance enhancing at all.
> > >
> > > Tom

> > Isn't the issue raised by Stephen Swart whether or not Armstrong used

EPO,
> > pre-cancer while with Motorola?

> I don't think Swart really knows whether Lance took illegal
> performance enhancing drugs prior to summer 1996.
>
> As you know it's all conjecture and the evidence is about as solid as
> a balsa wood TT bike with pipe cleaner spokes.
>
> -Ken

A friend brought the Walsh book back with him from Paris. I'm about 1/2 way
through reading it. I seriously recommend this book to everyone when/if it
comes out in English. When it does, you'll all understand why Armstrong has
tried to keep it off the shelves. BTW, while the focus is on Armstrong, the
argument is being set out against other top riders who have not tested
positive as well.

It is amazingly well researched and borders on being an academic tome in its
analysis of riders, time trials, climbs and wattage comparisons. I won't
say anymore until I've finished it, except that the evidence is far from
balsa wood solid--more like a bike made out of the finest carbon/Kevlar wear
you could imagine.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]...

> "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]@posting.google.com...
> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > Isn't the issue raised by Stephen Swart whether or not Armstrong used

> EPO,
> > > pre-cancer while with Motorola?

> > I don't think Swart really knows whether Lance took illegal
> > performance enhancing drugs prior to summer 1996.
> >
> > As you know it's all conjecture and the evidence is about as solid as
> > a balsa wood TT bike with pipe cleaner spokes.
> >
> > -Ken

> A friend brought the Walsh book back with him from Paris. I'm about 1/2

way
> through reading it. I seriously recommend this book to everyone when/if

it
> comes out in English. When it does, you'll all understand why Armstrong

has
> tried to keep it off the shelves. BTW, while the focus is on Armstrong,

the
> argument is being set out against other top riders who have not tested
> positive as well.
>
> It is amazingly well researched and borders on being an academic tome in

its
> analysis of riders, time trials, climbs and wattage comparisons. I won't
> say anymore until I've finished it, except that the evidence is far from
> balsa wood solid--more like a bike made out of the finest carbon/Kevlar

wear
> you could imagine.

When did you learn fluent French -- in New Orleans?
I'd read the book but never but it -- maybe when the libary gets a copy.

-Ken

K. J. Papai wrote:

> I don't think Swart really knows whether Lance took illegal
> performance enhancing drugs prior to summer 1996.

Summary from the NZ interview on Sunday (I'm trying to digitise the
video and/or do a full transcript)...it's not that earth-shattering.

Swart said that there was an "unspoken agreement" within Motorola
whereby each rider would sort out their doping arrangements.

Swart admitted to taking EPO in the 1995 Tour and indicated that of the
9 on the Motorola team, "5 or 6" would have been taking EPO.

He further went on to claim that all members of the team, including
Lance Armstrong, tested their blood for Hct, together.

At no time during the interview did he say that he saw Lance inject with
EPO, or that he knew for certain that Lance was taking any banned substance.

> As you know it's all conjecture and the evidence is about as solid as
> a balsa wood TT bike with pipe cleaner spokes.

The WADA director-general was also careful during the interview to
indicate that while there was a certain amount of rumour from high-level
cyclists that Armstrong had been involved in doping pre-cancer, that
there was no evidence, nor was there a strong indication that he was
still allegedly involved.

Like I say, not exactly earth-shattering stuff.
And bears out Millar's comments - Swart was already an accomplished
cyclist and champion racer. His reasoning for taking EPO was "to keep
up with the cheaters".

Thats what Epogen was developed for. Jeeze I wish some people would
put things in perspective and go find another rock to crawl under.
Further, show some RESPECT for what the guy has overcome and gone on
to do. The only people who cannot consider his achievements are not
possible without his cheating are people who themselves cheat- they
cannot concieve honour, truth and dignity- it is beyond their ken-
therefore they must blacken everyone they see who suceeds with their
paint brush to hide their own failures.

Ken Papai wrote:
> I'd read the book but never but it -- maybe when the libary gets a copy.

Error parsing text. Abort, Retry, Ignore ?

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]...
> >
> > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]@posting.google.com...
> > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>...

used
> > EPO,
> > >
> > > I don't think Swart really knows whether Lance took illegal
> > > performance enhancing drugs prior to summer 1996.
> > >
> > > As you know it's all conjecture and the evidence is about as solid as
> > > a balsa wood TT bike with pipe cleaner spokes.
> > >
> > > -Ken

> > A friend brought the Walsh book back with him from Paris. I'm about 1/2

> way
> > through reading it. I seriously recommend this book to everyone when/if

> it
> > comes out in English. When it does, you'll all understand why Armstrong

> has
> > tried to keep it off the shelves. BTW, while the focus is on Armstrong,

> the
> > argument is being set out against other top riders who have not tested
> > positive as well.
> >
> > It is amazingly well researched and borders on being an academic tome in

> its
> > analysis of riders, time trials, climbs and wattage comparisons. I

won't
> > say anymore until I've finished it, except that the evidence is far from
> > balsa wood solid--more like a bike made out of the finest carbon/Kevlar

> wear
> > you could imagine.

> When did you learn fluent French -- in New Orleans?
> I'd read the book but never but it -- maybe when the libary gets a copy.
>
> -Ken

Read the book, whatever way you can. Ce n'est pas bois de balsa.