Joe Martin Stage Race, Fayetteville, Ark.

Las Montanas

Dec 19, 2005
I've been looking at doing some bigger races this spring and was wondering if any of you have done the Joe Martin Stage Race in Arkansas.

Also, if you've done it, do you happen to have your power profiles for the uphill TT? Also, your avg w/kg and time for the TT?

I want to race the 3s but I don't want to get killed. I did some playing around on kreuzotter.de and analyticcycling.com and found that despite my pretty decent w/kg for ~10 minutes I would still get destroyed.

Unless the average gradient they list is a bit off...

I skipped Joe Martin this year in favor of Tri-Peaks Challenge, but a number of my teammates were there. I'll probably be there next spring as a Cat 4 or maybe 3. I've seen a powerfile for the TT (although it wasn't mine), and also the video of the big Cat 4 RR sprint-crash. PM me for details.

Great race that everyone should experience

2006 data. Hope it helps.

Cat2/35+

TT - 10:28, 285w, 4.6 w/kg. Wining time 8:30:eek: Time cut 10:30 :(

RR - Make or break sections are the 2 half mile long climbs right in a row with a 1min descent between them. ~2:30 @ 500w to stay in the field.

FYI, book hotel now as it's always on graduation weekend!

P.S. If you want a real Hors Cat climb then plan on Tri-Peaks

NM87710 said:

Cat2/35+

RR - Make or break sections are the 2 half mile long climbs right in a row with a 1min descent between them. ~2:30 @ 500w to stay in the field.

I should be able to go 5.0-5.2w/kg for 10min by then, so I guess I'll be fine. I had entered my wattage, weight, etc into a couple of different online calculators with the given 6.8% as they state on the website and got a time of around 12 minutes. Pretty sure they were off by a bit...

NM87710 said:

Cat2/35+

Really? I thought to get 10:30 on that climb you would have to put out something in the 5.0-5.2 w/kg range.

specialized31 said:
Really? I thought to get 10:30 on that climb you would have to put out something in the 5.0-5.2 w/kg range.
Yeah the online calculators I've seen would have me at around 10:45 if I'm putting down 340w. That's more than 5.2w/kg (w/o bike) for me. With my bike and at the same wattage, that's 340/(65+7)= 4.7. Does anyone know if the reported 6.8% average gradient is correct?