General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Jogging vs. walking

Started by Sseadoubleyou · · Last activity · 59 posts · 2,590 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 December 2004
Last activity
21 December 2004
Original author
Sseadoubleyou
Posts
59
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,590
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 59
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. new runner said:

    why couldn't walking have the same effect?
    the fastest i can walk is at a 4.5 mph pace. sometimes, it almost
    feels easier to jog at 5.0 mph than to briskly walk at 4.5mph.

    It feels easier because it's awkward and artificial to try and walk too
    fast. Running is the natural thing to do when you get to a certain speed.
    The speed varies with the individual and the terrain.

    However, you'll find that you can get your heart rate higher jogging at 5
    mph than walking at 4.5. The higher the heart rate, the more the after
    burn.

    However, don't get sucked into the HIT (high-intensity training) thing --
    puts you at major injury risk compared to an easy run.

    -- Dan

  2. Sseadoubleyou said:

    OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it


    won't.

    Quoted message said:

    So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular


    joggers

    Quoted message said:

    everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,


    not

    Quoted message said:

    bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or


    whatever,

    Quoted message said:

    how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not


    get

    Quoted message said:

    bulky.

    Well, in general, if you look at runners, they tend toward leanness
    rather than bulk. But, *certain* aspects of runners do tend to bulk up
    in relation to other parts. For example, after I've been running
    awhile, I notice that my calves tend to get bigger. And if you look at
    world class runners, they tend toward long and thin with narrower
    shoulders and arms, with kinda curvy legs (narrow ankles and knees with
    relatively wider calves and thighs). But that doesn't mean that the
    calves and things are bulky or big - they still tend to be lean.

    So, if you start running, you'll likely notice that your calves get a
    little bigger, but they won't get big.

    Cathy Weeks

  3. Sseadoubleyou said:

    OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it


    won't.

    Quoted message said:

    So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular


    joggers

    Quoted message said:

    everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,


    not

    Quoted message said:

    bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or


    whatever,

    Quoted message said:

    how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not


    get

    Quoted message said:

    bulky.

    Sseadoubleyou said:

    OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it


    won't.

    Quoted message said:

    So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular


    joggers

    Quoted message said:

    everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,


    not

    Quoted message said:

    bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or


    whatever,

    Quoted message said:

    how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not


    get

    Quoted message said:

    bulky.

    Well, in general, if you look at runners, they tend toward leanness
    rather than bulk. But, *certain* aspects of runners do tend to bulk up
    in relation to other parts. For example, after I've been running
    awhile, I notice that my calves tend to get bigger. And if you look at
    world class runners, they tend toward long and thin with narrower
    shoulders and arms, with kinda curvy legs (narrow ankles and knees with
    relatively wider calves and thighs). But that doesn't mean that the
    calves and things are bulky or big - they still tend to be lean.

    So, if you start running, you'll likely notice that your calves get a
    little bigger, but they won't get big.

    Cathy Weeks

  4. "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    However, you'll find that you can get your heart rate higher jogging
    at 5
    mph than walking at 4.5. The higher the heart rate, the more the
    after
    burn.

    yes for the new runner but I don't think we get much after burn at our
    level.

    Quoted message said:

    However, don't get sucked into the HIT (high-intensity training)
    thing --
    puts you at major injury risk compared to an easy run.

    Right on! Too many people think running faster gets you skinnier
    quicker.Coming out of the gate fast will get you injured faster and you
    stop running then get fat again.

    -DougF

  5. Somebody said:
    Quoted message said:

    OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down
    said no it won't.
    So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see
    regular joggers everyday who I have seen for years
    out jogging and they thin/lean, not bulky.


    they're lean because they watch how much they eat
    and their calorie intake is kept at maintenance.
    probably dipping below sometimes. probably
    above other days. skinny people just don't
    eat the same way as fat people. when a runner
    or jogger puts on a belly, even a little, they can
    feel it jiggle when they run. instant feedback.
    that day becomes a below maintenance day.
    maybe the next couple of days too. no big deal.
    fat is gone.

    if you want to be and remain slim, eat less.
    exercise isn't going to chew up enough calories
    to matter if you eat too much. don't worry about
    "bulking up" from cardio. if you gain an ounce,
    you're eating too much. it's real simple.

    now, i'd like to add, that if all you do is cardio,
    you'lll be one skinny looking old guy when you
    reach fifty or so. however for now, pick a goal and work
    towards it. you can always change or modify it
    later on.
    ....thehick

  6. I would not worry too much about the "afterburn" and not base my exercise
    choice on that since there are lots of factors.

    Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running becomes
    more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute. However, someone
    who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and probably cover distances
    faster than some people on this NG.

    Once one gets some fitness, doing some higher intensity running or walking
    is a great thing to add especially if there is a day where you do not have
    much time.

    One can walk to lose weight effectively.

    "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    new runner said:

    why couldn't walking have the same effect?
    the fastest i can walk is at a 4.5 mph pace. sometimes, it almost
    feels easier to jog at 5.0 mph than to briskly walk at 4.5mph.

    It feels easier because it's awkward and artificial to try and walk too
    fast. Running is the natural thing to do when you get to a certain speed.
    The speed varies with the individual and the terrain.

    However, you'll find that you can get your heart rate higher jogging at 5
    mph than walking at 4.5. The higher the heart rate, the more the after
    burn.

    However, don't get sucked into the HIT (high-intensity training) thing --
    puts you at major injury risk compared to an easy run.

    -- Dan

  7. Sam said:

    I would not worry too much about the "afterburn" and not base my
    exercise choice on that since there are lots of factors.

    Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
    becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
    However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
    probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

    I read some years ago that the then mile record for walking was about 5:30.

    The 50k walking record is 3:36, which is a 6:39 pace--a 2:54 marathon split.

    Also seem to remember that a national class walker occasionally ran a 10k
    for cross-training in the 30:xx range.

    Clearly the best walkers would be fine competitors at any endurance
    sport....

  8. Quoted message said:

    Coming out of the gate fast will get you injured faster and you
    stop running then get fat again.

    Will they get old and stupid (like yourself) too?

  9. Quoted message said:

    I read some years ago that the then mile record for walking was about 5:30.

    The 50k walking record is 3:36, which is a 6:39 pace--a 2:54 marathon split.

    Yeah I got a chuckle out of that too! The dumbazz's just keep posting.

  10. "Sam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
    becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
    However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
    probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

    I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
    winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
    run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
    close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
    the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his races
    are reletively flat. Very impressive!

    -DougF

  11. Quoted message said:

    I saw how true this was last Saturday.

    Why? Compared to you, a 90 YO quadraplegic is fast.

    Quoted message said:

    Very impressive!

    To an old guy like you, maybe.

  12. Doug Freese said:


    "Sam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
    becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
    However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
    probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

    I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
    winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
    run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
    close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
    the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his races
    are reletively flat. Very impressive!

    -DougF

    Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
    advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
    to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
    long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
    hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

    Though unlike some I'd never do that sort of distance
    in a day, I'm never leaner and more fit than when I
    walk 100 miles a week.

  13. Sseadoubleyou said:

    OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it


    won't.

    Quoted message said:

    So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular


    joggers

    Quoted message said:

    everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,


    not

    Quoted message said:

    bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or


    whatever,

    Quoted message said:

    how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not


    get

    Quoted message said:

    bulky.

    Well, in general, if you look at runners, they tend toward leanness
    rather than bulk. But, *certain* aspects of runners do tend to bulk up
    in relation to other parts. For example, after I've been running
    awhile, I notice that my calves tend to get bigger. And if you look at
    world class runners, they tend toward long and thin with narrower
    shoulders and arms, with kinda curvy legs (narrow ankles and knees with
    relatively wider calves and thighs). But that doesn't mean that the
    calves and things are bulky or big - they still tend to be lean.

    So, if you start running, you'll likely notice that your calves get a
    little bigger, but they won't get big.

    Cathy Weeks

  14. Doug Freese said:

    I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
    winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
    run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
    close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
    the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone.

    They have racewalk meets in central park. What they do for these is use a
    small loop course on a half-mile flat section of the park -- racewalking simply
    is not done on downhill courses.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  15. "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for
    my
    winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he
    would
    run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and
    stayed
    close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections
    since
    the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his
    races
    are reletively flat. Very impressive!

    Quoted message said:

    Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
    advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
    to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
    long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
    hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

    That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
    in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.

    By the way while looking up race walking times I noticed that guy that
    came to walk while we ran was in the top 10 for the US. I knew he was
    good but not aware that good. 😉

    -Doug

  16. Doug Freese said:


    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for
    my
    winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he
    would
    run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and
    stayed
    close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections
    since
    the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his
    races
    are reletively flat. Very impressive!

    Quoted message said:

    Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
    advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
    to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
    long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
    hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

    That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
    in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.

    By the way while looking up race walking times I noticed that guy that
    came to walk while we ran was in the top 10 for the US. I knew he was
    good but not aware that good. 😉

    Fanatics!

    My feet get tired after about 20 😉

  17. Blech. Sorry for the triple post - Google told me there was a server
    error and to try again later when I posted.

    Cathy Weeks

  18. Doug Freese said:

    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
    advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
    to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
    long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
    hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

    That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
    in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.

    Some of it was up here - well north of the Arctic Circle 😉 Gates of the
    Arctic vicinity, in particular that I'm aware of. I don't remember how
    much they did in a day up here, but some was floated (faster) or had
    substantial river crossings (slower). (His book Arctic Village was based
    in Wiseman and some of his hikes were up near one of my study areas.)

    More generally, though, he, as well as a number of surveyors and I'm
    sure other biologists, used to do tons of miles and tons of peaks (don't
    ask for a precise definition of "ton"😉 in a day. Of course, the
    surveyors had to carry all their surveying gear - not the little
    handheld GPS units. Oh, yeah, and their ecology studies were a whole lot
    more interesting to read than some of the modern ones 😉

    Quoted message said:


    By the way while looking up race walking times I noticed that guy that
    came to walk while we ran was in the top 10 for the US. I knew he was
    good but not aware that good. 😉

    You always attract the fast ones 😉

    Dot

    --
    The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury.
    - John Hardy
    http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning.com.au/misc/training.shtml

  19. Dot said:


    Doug Freese said:

    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
    advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
    to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
    long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
    hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

    That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
    in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.

    Some of it was up here - well north of the Arctic Circle 😉 Gates of the
    Arctic vicinity, in particular that I'm aware of. I don't remember how
    much they did in a day up here, but some was floated (faster) or had
    substantial river crossings (slower). (His book Arctic Village was based
    in Wiseman and some of his hikes were up near one of my study areas.)

    More generally, though, he, as well as a number of surveyors and I'm
    sure other biologists, used to do tons of miles and tons of peaks (don't
    ask for a precise definition of "ton"😉 in a day. Of course, the
    surveyors had to carry all their surveying gear - not the little
    handheld GPS units. Oh, yeah, and their ecology studies were a whole lot
    more interesting to read than some of the modern ones 😉

    We moderns are such a bunch of wimps, with our
    gore tex and ultra light gear 😉

  20. "Ignoramus5102" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What "tones" the body is loss of body fat. It makes muscles more
    visible.

    I dare you to say that in the misc.weight ng. ; )

    Quoted message said:


    Martha

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.