Jogging vs. walking

>> thats just me. Again, it's a 'mind thing',
>
>Yeah, we noticed. Get help.
>
>Cheers,
>--
>Donovan Rebbechi

See? Even Donniekins agrees with me.

new runner wrote:

> why couldn't walking have the same effect?
> the fastest i can walk is at a 4.5 mph pace. sometimes, it almost
> feels easier to jog at 5.0 mph than to briskly walk at 4.5mph.

It feels easier because it's awkward and artificial to try and walk too
fast. Running is the natural thing to do when you get to a certain speed.
The speed varies with the individual and the terrain.

However, you'll find that you can get your heart rate higher jogging at 5
mph than walking at 4.5. The higher the heart rate, the more the after
burn.

However, don't get sucked into the HIT (high-intensity training) thing --
puts you at major injury risk compared to an easy run.

-- Dan

Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it

won't.
> So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular

joggers
> everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,

not
> bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or

whatever,
> how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not

get
> bulky.

Well, in general, if you look at runners, they tend toward leanness
rather than bulk. But, *certain* aspects of runners do tend to bulk up
in relation to other parts. For example, after I've been running
awhile, I notice that my calves tend to get bigger. And if you look at
world class runners, they tend toward long and thin with narrower
shoulders and arms, with kinda curvy legs (narrow ankles and knees with
relatively wider calves and thighs). But that doesn't mean that the
calves and things are bulky or big - they still tend to be lean.

So, if you start running, you'll likely notice that your calves get a
little bigger, but they won't get big.

Cathy Weeks

Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it

won't.
> So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular

joggers
> everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean,

not
> bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or

whatever,
> how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not

get
> bulky.

Well, in general, if you look at runners, they tend toward leanness
rather than bulk. But, *certain* aspects of runners do tend to bulk up
in relation to other parts. For example, after I've been running
awhile, I notice that my calves tend to get bigger. And if you look at
world class runners, they tend toward long and thin with narrower
shoulders and arms, with kinda curvy legs (narrow ankles and knees with
relatively wider calves and thighs). But that doesn't mean that the
calves and things are bulky or big - they still tend to be lean.

So, if you start running, you'll likely notice that your calves get a
little bigger, but they won't get big.

Cathy Weeks

"Dan Stumpus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> However, you'll find that you can get your heart rate higher jogging
> at 5
> mph than walking at 4.5. The higher the heart rate, the more the
> after
> burn.

yes for the new runner but I don't think we get much after burn at our
level.

> However, don't get sucked into the HIT (high-intensity training)
> thing --
> puts you at major injury risk compared to an easy run.

Right on! Too many people think running faster gets you skinnier
quicker.Coming out of the gate fast will get you injured faster and you
stop running then get fat again.

-DougF

Somebody said:
>> OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down
>> said no it won't.
>> So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see
>> regular joggers everyday who I have seen for years
>>out jogging and they thin/lean, not bulky.

they're lean because they watch how much they eat
and their calorie intake is kept at maintenance.
probably dipping below sometimes. probably
above other days. skinny people just don't
eat the same way as fat people. when a runner
or jogger puts on a belly, even a little, they can
feel it jiggle when they run. instant feedback.
that day becomes a below maintenance day.
maybe the next couple of days too. no big deal.
fat is gone.

if you want to be and remain slim, eat less.
exercise isn't going to chew up enough calories
to matter if you eat too much. don't worry about
"bulking up" from cardio. if you gain an ounce,
you're eating too much. it's real simple.

now, i'd like to add, that if all you do is cardio,
you'lll be one skinny looking old guy when you
reach fifty or so. however for now, pick a goal and work
towards it. you can always change or modify it
later on.
....thehick

I would not worry too much about the "afterburn" and not base my exercise
choice on that since there are lots of factors.

Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running becomes
more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute. However, someone
who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and probably cover distances
faster than some people on this NG.

Once one gets some fitness, doing some higher intensity running or walking
is a great thing to add especially if there is a day where you do not have
much time.

One can walk to lose weight effectively.

Sam wrote:
> I would not worry too much about the "afterburn" and not base my
> exercise choice on that since there are lots of factors.
>
> Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
> becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
> However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
> probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

I read some years ago that the then mile record for walking was about 5:30.

The 50k walking record is 3:36, which is a 6:39 pace--a 2:54 marathon split.

Also seem to remember that a national class walker occasionally ran a 10k
for cross-training in the 30:xx range.

Clearly the best walkers would be fine competitors at any endurance
sport....

>Coming out of the gate fast will get you injured faster and you
>stop running then get fat again.

Will they get old and stupid (like yourself) too?

>I read some years ago that the then mile record for walking was about 5:30.
>
>The 50k walking record is 3:36, which is a 6:39 pace--a 2:54 marathon split.

Yeah I got a chuckle out of that too! The dumbazz's just keep posting.

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
> becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
> However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
> probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his races
are reletively flat. Very impressive!

-DougF

>I saw how true this was last Saturday.

Why? Compared to you, a 90 YO quadraplegic is fast.

>Very impressive!

To an old guy like you, maybe.

Doug Freese wrote:

> "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Walking is excellent exercise; at about 12min/mile (5mph) running
> > becomes more economical in terms on the oxygen cost per minute.
> > However, someone who learns to racewalk can walk very fast and
> > probably cover distances faster than some people on this NG.

> I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
> winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
> run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
> close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
> the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his races
> are reletively flat. Very impressive!
>
> -DougF

Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

Though unlike some I'd never do that sort of distance
in a day, I'm never leaner and more fit than when I
walk 100 miles a week.

On 2004-12-15, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

> I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for my
> winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he would
> run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and stayed
> close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections since
> the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone.

They have racewalk meets in central park. What they do for these is use a
small loop course on a half-mile flat section of the park -- racewalking simply
is not done on downhill courses.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

"Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for
>> my
>> winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he
>> would
>> run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and
>> stayed
>> close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections
>> since
>> the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his
>> races
>> are reletively flat. Very impressive!

> Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
> advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
> to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
> long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
> hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.

By the way while looking up race walking times I noticed that guy that
came to walk while we ran was in the top 10 for the US. I knew he was
good but not aware that good. ;)

-Doug

Doug Freese wrote:

> "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >> I saw how true this was last Saturday. I had a racewalker show up for
> >> my
> >> winter run last week. Since my runs are mostly hills I thought he
> >> would
> >> run with us and not walk. To my surprise he walked, talked, and
> >> stayed
> >> close to front of the pack. He did run down the very step sections
> >> since
> >> the severe down was too awkward if not injury prone. Most of his
> >> races
> >> are reletively flat. Very impressive!

> > Bob Marshall (pioneer forest ranger and wilderness
> > advocate) used to walk/hike with a light pack up
> > to 70 miles per day (in mountain country.) I know
> > long distance hikers for whom it's not unusual to
> > hike more miles in a day than I'd care to run.

> That's humping if he does all 70 in the daylight. I know I hit 70 miles
> in a race just as the sun is going down and that with a 4 am start.
>
> By the way while looking up race walking times I noticed that guy that
> came to walk while we ran was in the top 10 for the US. I knew he was
> good but not aware that good. ;)

Fanatics!

My feet get tired after about 20 ;)

[tom phillips]
<< Fanatics!
My feet get tired after about20>>

Fans in your attic?
No, just bats
In our belfry ~

WWWWWWWWWWWWW

~ winged mouses ~

Or them upside down,
Tame them,
Give them a name...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

O know ~
Not you! What's that?

"Just more spiders..."
~ Agent of Smith

O, okay,
No matter, all's
Fine.

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

....What's that?

"Just more spiders..."
~ Agent of Smith

O, okay,
No matter, all's
Fine...

Mother! I'm getting madder ~
That damn crazy mad hatter
Matthew's \Out again
& about
Town...
O.
No, my owl's still
Not come.

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

Matthew's \Out again
& about
Town...
O.