Jogging vs. walking

Sseadoubleyou

Guest
I was curious about something. For the past 8 months I have been 'speed
walking' 5 miles a day to help assist in losing weight that I wanted to lose
along with a proper diet and I have completed my goals. There is just a tad
bit more toning up that I want to do and I was told by some friends of mine
that I needed to start jogging now and stop the walking (that there is only
so much walking can do). So I have started jogging the past few nights now,
I have probably been jogging 50% - 75% of my 5 miles that I was walking and
then I'm walking the rest of the way (working my way up to jogging the full
5 miles). I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In other
words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking? My friends said it
would just really tone the hell out of me and build my endurance. I suppose
they are right, after all all the people I see jogging on a regular basis
are all thin and lean as I am now, and I want to stay that way.

If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

>I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In other
>words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking?

Yes.

>If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

You're doing everything right.

I don't think jogging won't 'tone you up' much more than walking; doing some
weights and core strengthening will do tone you more. But in the sense that
a variety of activities will make your whole body fitter, then adding
jogging and running to your walking routine will help.

If you're just in it for the general fitness, I'd suggest you continue to
mix jogging with your walking, but try to do your jogging at different
speeds to keep it fun. Don't feel like you have to work up to steadily
jogging the whole thing at the same pace; mixing is fine. If you become a
'runner' then you'll start to push yourself into certain training routines
and all that. Whatever you do, don't add too much jogging to your routine
too quickly or you risk injury.

-Tony

Sseadoubleyou wrote in message ...
>I was curious about something. For the past 8 months I have been 'speed
>walking' 5 miles a day to help assist in losing weight that I wanted to

lose
>along with a proper diet and I have completed my goals. There is just a

tad
>bit more toning up that I want to do and I was told by some friends of mine
>that I needed to start jogging now and stop the walking (that there is only
>so much walking can do). So I have started jogging the past few nights

now,
>I have probably been jogging 50% - 75% of my 5 miles that I was walking and
>then I'm walking the rest of the way (working my way up to jogging the full
>5 miles). I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In other
>words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking? My friends said it
>would just really tone the hell out of me and build my endurance. I

suppose
>they are right, after all all the people I see jogging on a regular basis
>are all thin and lean as I am now, and I want to stay that way.
>
>If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks.

Running will not bulk you up. It will only tone you up. Running is an
aerobic and not anaerobic sport. You may see an increase in the scale but
only because you are toning up your leg muscles. Muscle weighs more than
fat. The real measure is how your clothes fit. You begin to see them fit
loose.

--
Pete
www.tornadosrunningclub.com
"Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was curious about something. For the past 8 months I have been 'speed
>walking' 5 miles a day to help assist in losing weight that I wanted to
>lose along with a proper diet and I have completed my goals. There is just
>a tad bit more toning up that I want to do and I was told by some friends
>of mine that I needed to start jogging now and stop the walking (that there
>is only so much walking can do). So I have started jogging the past few
>nights now, I have probably been jogging 50% - 75% of my 5 miles that I was
>walking and then I'm walking the rest of the way (working my way up to
>jogging the full 5 miles). I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your
>body? In other words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking? My
>friends said it would just really tone the hell out of me and build my
>endurance. I suppose they are right, after all all the people I see
>jogging on a regular basis are all thin and lean as I am now, and I want to
>stay that way.
>
> If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>

>I don't think jogging won't 'tone you up' much more than walking; doing some
>weights and core strengthening will do tone you more.

Now wait a minute! This is completly non-responsive. You are adding in weights
to the workouts, and that was never mentioned, and should not be brought into
the discussion. That's a WHOLE nother thread when you add in weights. The
poster asked a specific question. How about I respond "I don't think jogging
over walking, with a few hundred laps around the pool, will change much". It's
like adding in a whole new WO.

OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it won't.
So I don't get it? How does it add bulk to me? I see regular joggers
everyday who I have seen for years out jogging and they thin/lean, not
bulky. If jogging is only cardio without any kind of weights or whatever,
how is going to add bulk to my body? I want to stay thin/lean, not get
bulky.

Please re explain:)

"FabulustRunner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In other
>>words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking?

> Yes.
>
>>If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

> You're doing everything right.

See that is w hat I'm scared of, seeing the numbers go back up on the scale,
even if it is muscle weight, it will not sit well with me:( Just try to
understand where I'm coming from, I use to be FAT! HEHE! It's kinda a mind
thing if you get my drift? Anyways I'm assuming that if I stuck with the
jogging, that the muscle weight wouldn't continue to go up would it? I mean
I still have very small portions of fat here and there that I want to get
rid of. I'm only interested in being as lean as I can possibly be, not get
muscular or builds tons of muscle mass, thats just not something I'm
interested in doing. I prefer being lean over adding muscle to my body,
thats just me. Again, it's a 'mind thing', from a former fat person maybe
you can understand where I'm coming from, then again maybe you can't.

"Agapito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Running will not bulk you up. It will only tone you up. Running is an
> aerobic and not anaerobic sport. You may see an increase in the scale but
> only because you are toning up your leg muscles. Muscle weighs more than
> fat. The real measure is how your clothes fit. You begin to see them fit
> loose.
>
> --
> Pete
> www.tornadosrunningclub.com
> "Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I was curious about something. For the past 8 months I have been 'speed
>>walking' 5 miles a day to help assist in losing weight that I wanted to
>>lose along with a proper diet and I have completed my goals. There is
>>just a tad bit more toning up that I want to do and I was told by some
>>friends of mine that I needed to start jogging now and stop the walking
>>(that there is only so much walking can do). So I have started jogging
>>the past few nights now, I have probably been jogging 50% - 75% of my 5
>>miles that I was walking and then I'm walking the rest of the way (working
>>my way up to jogging the full 5 miles). I wanted to know if jogging adds
>>BULK to your body? In other words will it add mass or weight to me vs.
>>the walking? My friends said it would just really tone the hell out of me
>>and build my endurance. I suppose they are right, after all all the
>>people I see jogging on a regular basis are all thin and lean as I am now,
>>and I want to stay that way.
>>
>> If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks.

I don't think I'm doing everything right then. My goal is not to make the
numbers on the scale go back up, it's to make them either stay where they
are or even go down a few more but at the same time, complete the process of
toning my body up, here and there. If it's going to make me look bigger, I
want no part in it.

"FabulustRunner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In other
>>words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking?

> Yes.
>
>>If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

> You're doing everything right.

>See that is w hat I'm scared of, seeing the numbers go back up on the scale,
>even if it is muscle weight, it will not sit well with me:( Just try to
>understand where I'm coming from, I use to be FAT! HEHE! It's kinda a mind
>thing if you get my drift?

Yes we do. You have anorexia nervosa, seek help.

>OK, you said it will add bulk to me but a few posters down said no it won't.
>So I don't get it?

It depends on perspective, and where they/you started from. You'll get
different opinions on "big" and "small" from a person who used to weigh 350lbs
but now weighs 175, than from a person who used to weigh 125 but now weighs
175. See my point?
Just jog, you'll see.

>I don't think I'm doing everything right then. My goal is not to make the
>numbers on the scale go back up, it's to make them either stay where they
>are or even go down a few more but at the same time, complete the process of
>toning my body up, here and there

Throw the scale away. Have your BF, GF, or hubby or wife look at you naked. If
you get laid, you don't need to do anything more. If not, sign up at the fat
farm.

6'1", 168 28 y/o male, hardly fat:)

"FabulustRunner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I don't think I'm doing everything right then. My goal is not to make
> >the
>>numbers on the scale go back up, it's to make them either stay where they
>>are or even go down a few more but at the same time, complete the process
>>of
>>toning my body up, here and there

> Throw the scale away. Have your BF, GF, or hubby or wife look at you
> naked. If
> you get laid, you don't need to do anything more. If not, sign up at the
> fat
> farm.

Leafing through rec.running, I read Sseadoubleyou's message of 14 Dec
2004:

> See that is w hat I'm scared of, seeing the numbers go back up on the
> scale, even if it is muscle weight, it will not sit well with me:(
> Just try to understand where I'm coming from, I use to be FAT! HEHE!
> It's kinda a mind thing if you get my drift? Anyways I'm assuming
> that if I stuck with the jogging, that the muscle weight wouldn't
> continue to go up would it? I mean I still have very small portions
> of fat here and there that I want to get rid of. I'm only interested
> in being as lean as I can possibly be, not get muscular or builds tons
> of muscle mass, thats just not something I'm interested in doing. I
> prefer being lean over adding muscle to my body, thats just me.
> Again, it's a 'mind thing', from a former fat person maybe you can
> understand where I'm coming from, then again maybe you can't.

Maybe some photos will help you get over your "number on the scale" problem

http://www.fast-women.com/photos.html
http://www.mensracing.com/photos.html

Phil M.

Sseadoubleyou wrote:

> I was told by some friends of mine that I needed to start jogging now
> and stop the walking (that there is only so much walking can do).

Jogging/running has another beneficial effect over walking: your metabolic
rate increases for a few hours after running, and this burns calories even
after you've stopped.

> I have started jogging the past few nights now, I have probably been
> jogging 50% - 75% of my 5 miles that I was walking and then I'm
> walking the rest of the way (working my way up to jogging the full 5
> miles).

It's ok to mix it up, eg, 10 minutes jog, 2-3 minute walk, too. That might
be easier. No point in making it a "run 'till I can't go on" ordeal.
Eventually you'll be walking less and less...

> I wanted to know if jogging adds BULK to your body? In
> other words will it add mass or weight to me vs. the walking? My
> friends said it would just really tone the hell out of me and build
> my endurance.

You can get this strange effect of getting visually thinner (and wearing a
smaller size), and at the same time, staying at the same weight, or even
gaining a couple of lbs. And of course, many people lose quite a bit of
weight. A girl I know was already slender, and she got smaller *and* gained
a few lbs when she trained for a marathon from zip after quitting smoking.

This is because the higher effort workouts (jogging vs. walking) lose the
fat and grow muscle. Muscle is heavier and denser than fat. So you may
look quite slender, but you'll weigh more than a skinny sedentary person of
the same size.

-- Dan

>6'1", 168 28 y/o male, hardly fat:)

Didn't get laid eh? (you replied too fast, unless it was premature ejaculation)
Ok seriously then, why the hangup with weight? I'm 6' , 190lbs, and I'm not
fat. What's your issues man? Get your head examined.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:11:04 GMT, "Dan Stumpus"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jogging/running has another beneficial effect over walking: your metabolic
>rate increases for a few hours after running, and this burns calories even
>after you've stopped.

why couldn't walking have the same effect?
the fastest i can walk is at a 4.5 mph pace. sometimes, it almost
feels easier to jog at 5.0 mph than to briskly walk at 4.5mph.