Jogging with a bad ankle?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Opticreep, Mar 19, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. So bad that
    I heard a couple of loud pops when I fell, and I was walking
    with a noticeable limp for two weeks. I couldn't run at full
    speed for a month. Since then, I rolled over that ankle
    twice more that year.

    Since I was an stubborn college student then, I didn't go to
    the doctor after each sprain. I figured the ankles would
    simply heal themselves.

    Anyway, three years later, that ankle feels very weak. If I
    stay off my foot for a couple of hours, it gets painful for
    me to put any pressure on that foot. It usually takes about
    30-minutes of walking before the pain goes away. I'm not
    sure if it "really" goes away though --- sometimes I get the
    impression my foot just gets a bit numb to the pain and I
    don't feel it anymore. Regardless, if I stay off my foot
    again (ie sleeping), when I stand up the pain is back. The
    pain is somewhere above the arch of my foot, along the inner
    side of the foot.

    Any wild guess on what possible damages my ankles may have
    suffered? Is it safe for me to jog with the pain, or will
    that not be a good idea?

    I will probably go see a doctor at the first opportunity.
    I work six days a week, nine to five. And I can't leave
    work for at least the next month or so. I just wanted to
    know if it's generally a good (or bad) idea to jog with
    painful a ankle?

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Opticreep) wrote:

    >I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. So bad that
    >I heard a couple of loud pops when I fell, and I was
    >walking with a noticeable limp for two weeks. I couldn't
    >run at full speed for a month. Since then, I rolled over
    >that ankle twice more that year.

    How do you know it was a sprain and not a fracture?

    >I just wanted to know if it's generally a good (or bad)
    >idea to jog with painful a ankle?

    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

    Doctor: "Don't do that."

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Opticreep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    (...)

    > I will probably go see a doctor at the first opportunity.
    > I work six days a week, nine to five. And I can't leave
    > work for at least the next month or so. I just wanted to
    > know if it's generally a good (or bad) idea to jog with
    > painful a ankle?

    Pain is your body's way of telling you when something
    is wrong. It is generally a bad idea to jog with a
    painful ankle.

    See your doctor.

    Jeff

  4. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-03-19 17:52:32 -0500, [email protected] (Opticreep) said:

    > I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. Anyway,
    > three years later, that ankle feels very weak.

    It's common for poorly-rehabilitated ankle sprains to result
    in weak ankles. This can lead to further sprains and
    reinjury. See your doctor, who will probably recommend
    physical therapy to strengthen your ankles. You should've
    done that three years ago.