Jogging with a bad ankle?

Opticreep

Guest
I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. So bad that
I heard a couple of loud pops when I fell, and I was walking
with a noticeable limp for two weeks. I couldn't run at full
speed for a month. Since then, I rolled over that ankle
twice more that year.

Since I was an stubborn college student then, I didn't go to
the doctor after each sprain. I figured the ankles would
simply heal themselves.

Anyway, three years later, that ankle feels very weak. If I
stay off my foot for a couple of hours, it gets painful for
me to put any pressure on that foot. It usually takes about
30-minutes of walking before the pain goes away. I'm not
sure if it "really" goes away though --- sometimes I get the
impression my foot just gets a bit numb to the pain and I
don't feel it anymore. Regardless, if I stay off my foot
again (ie sleeping), when I stand up the pain is back. The
pain is somewhere above the arch of my foot, along the inner
side of the foot.

Any wild guess on what possible damages my ankles may have
suffered? Is it safe for me to jog with the pain, or will
that not be a good idea?

I will probably go see a doctor at the first opportunity.
I work six days a week, nine to five. And I can't leave
work for at least the next month or so. I just wanted to
know if it's generally a good (or bad) idea to jog with
painful a ankle?

[email protected] (Opticreep) wrote:

>I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. So bad that
>I heard a couple of loud pops when I fell, and I was
>walking with a noticeable limp for two weeks. I couldn't
>run at full speed for a month. Since then, I rolled over
>that ankle twice more that year.

How do you know it was a sprain and not a fracture?

>I just wanted to know if it's generally a good (or bad)
>idea to jog with painful a ankle?

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Don't do that."

"Opticreep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
(...)

> I will probably go see a doctor at the first opportunity.
> I work six days a week, nine to five. And I can't leave
> work for at least the next month or so. I just wanted to
> know if it's generally a good (or bad) idea to jog with
> painful a ankle?

Pain is your body's way of telling you when something
is wrong. It is generally a bad idea to jog with a
painful ankle.

See your doctor.

Jeff

On 2004-03-19 17:52:32 -0500, [email protected] (Opticreep) said:

> I sprained my ankle very badly three years ago. Anyway,
> three years later, that ankle feels very weak.

It's common for poorly-rehabilitated ankle sprains to result
in weak ankles. This can lead to further sprains and
reinjury. See your doctor, who will probably recommend
physical therapy to strengthen your ankles. You should've
done that three years ago.