JOGLE 2007

vernon levy

Guest
I took the first step tonight by booking the train from Leeds to Thurso fo
Aug 6th. Contrary to recieved wisdom, I had no problems at all. The bike's
been booked on to the four trains that I'll be using - I have to change
trains three times: at York, Edinburgh and Inverness. Got a bargain priced
ticket too at £28. If I get the timing right, I'll be able to come home
from penzance for about the same price too.

I'm debating the merits of retracing the route that I rode northwards.
Certainly in Scotland, I want to revisit the coastl road on the east coast,
ride through Glen Coe and over Black Mount. Ive been invited to have a day
off with the chap who came to my rescue last year in Preston. I'll probably
introduce some variations as I cross the border as I quite fancy travelling
to the east of the Lake District this time.

I'm waiting for the return of a Galaxy frame that's being restoved and then
i'll transfer the parts from my current repaired frame to the replacement.

I've got a couple of BP rides and a 200km Audax plus a week in Zakynthos to
do before the adventure starts. I'm quite excited by the prospect. I'm
much fitter than I was this time last year I just might get the ride done in
a fortnight though I'm fortunate enought to be able to have a three week
slot to play with. I'm also not one to walk away from a good chat at
campsites, garages and any other encounters with fellow talkers so my
cycling days can be sometimes a tad shorter than 'normal'.

Despite the fact that I've got all the gear for the trip, I am having
irrational urges to go out and but duplicate bits e.g. a proper ( and
expensive) Petzl head torch instead of my ASDA £5 clone.

The main advantage that I have this year is being able to leave 25% of the
kit I took last year behind. I'm also tempted to take a smaller tent even
though I enjoyed luxuriating in a two man tent.

I am to drop in at the Cycling Museum at Camelford again as it has an
awesome collection of cycles and the couple of hours that i spent there last
year was not long enough.

Does anyone have any 'must sees' vaguely on the route for JOGLE. I might
make a detour if the recommendation takes my fancy. I have wide ranging
interests encompassing industrial archeology, steam locomotives, traction
engines, museums of any description and pie shops ;-)

Can't wait 'til August

vernon levy wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > vernon levy wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have any 'must sees' vaguely on the route for JOGLE. I might
> >> make a detour if the recommendation takes my fancy. I have wide ranging
> >> interests encompassing industrial archeology, steam locomotives, traction
> >> engines, museums of any description and pie shops ;-)

Bettyhill to Lairg via Strathnaver. Read a bit about the clearances and
take note of the monuments, story boards. Then contemplate the empty
landscape still occupied by the descendants of the sheep farmers and
the hunting/fishing fraternity who turfed off the populace.
And it's a pleasant easy ride.

cheers
Jacob

normanwisdom wrote:
> vernon levy wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> Bettyhill to Lairg via Strathnaver. Read a bit about the clearances and
> take note of the monuments, story boards. Then contemplate the empty
> landscape still occupied by the descendants of the sheep farmers and
> the hunting/fishing fraternity who turfed off the populace.
> And it's a pleasant easy ride.
>
> cheers

> Jacob

PS and good campsite at Lairg.

vernon levy wrote:

> Can't wait 'til August

2007 or 2006 ? You'll miss PBP if you DO mean 2007 !! Enjoy whenever it
is. My friend is toying with the idea of LEJOG in 2008 in 116 hours, I
am up for it.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> vernon levy wrote:
>

>> Can't wait 'til August

> 2007 or 2006 ? You'll miss PBP if you DO mean 2007 !! Enjoy whenever it
> is. My friend is toying with the idea of LEJOG in 2008 in 116 hours, I
> am up for it.

C'mon you've got to be kidding :) PBP is way off the radar. I'd have to
do some very intensive training and undergo some serious weightloss to get
anywhere near the standards for SR.

JOGLE 2006 it is - must have been a brain fart when I typed the header.

I had considered the 14 x 100km BP option but it would cramp my style and
make me stick to a timetable of sorts.

I want the scenery, artifacts and people to dictate the pace.

vernon levy wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> vernon levy wrote:
>>
>>> Can't wait 'til August

>> 2007 or 2006 ? You'll miss PBP if you DO mean 2007 !! Enjoy whenever it
>> is. My friend is toying with the idea of LEJOG in 2008 in 116 hours, I
>> am up for it.
>>

> C'mon you've got to be kidding :) PBP is way off the radar. I'd have to
> do some very intensive training and undergo some serious weightloss to get
> anywhere near the standards for SR.

I have just written 'Train the MSeries way - for riders who don't do
training' describing how I went from a nobody to a SR and LEL
Stormtrooper in 6 months. I might send to Arrivee, if it doesn;t get
published it will be available for Christmas. Don't put yourself down
Vernon, I reckon you could do it if you really wanted to. The rest of
this year losing weight, next year increasing the mileage. When I
embarked on my training for LEL I'd only done 1 ride of 200km and that
was about five years prior. I did four rides of approx 100 miles in the
year before LEL and 4500 miles in total that year.

> JOGLE 2006 it is - must have been a brain fart when I typed the header.
>
> I had considered the 14 x 100km BP option but it would cramp my style and
> make me stick to a timetable of sorts.

We ar thinking of a 1400 in one go. All or nothing.

> I want the scenery, artifacts and people to dictate the pace.

yes proper touring and why not ? I am slightly envious and wish you well.