JOGLE Day 17

Richard Bates

Guest
Day 17 ~ Thursday 3rd June 2004 ~ Hawes to Settle via Ribblehead
Everybody at breakfast was moaning about the rain. "Rain at seven means fine by eleven", commented one chap in an attempt to improve morale, but he was wrong. By ten o'clock it was still pouring with rain and it didn't look like stopping in the next sixty minutes.

Yesterday my bike developed a rattle which appeared each time my back wheel hit a bump in the road. This morning I gave my bike a nut-and-bolt check and found that all four fixing points of my rear rack had worked loose; one of the bolts was almost completely out. One of my front rack bolts was also very loose.

I took the opportunity to raise my handlebars slighly to alter my body position and shift the weight onto a diffrent part of my bum.

Off I went into the gloom. The higher I got the gloomier it got. For the first time since I started the tour I had to use front and rear lights as on top of the hills the fog reduced visibility to less than ten metres. It was so foggy I didn't have to hide from the roadside before weeing up a tree. I *think* it was a tree!

Helen should not read the next paragraph

<Slabbing>
I commend M.W.Dyason for selling such excellent goretex jackets: my top half remained dry despite continual rain, which although not anywhere near torrential was sufficient to saturate my bibtights.
</slabbing>

Ribblehead viaduct emerged out of the mist but had no contrast with the environment around it: it was just a different shade of grey.

The local pub provided coffee and chocolate to get me as far as Settle.

I met my parents in Settle (they drove up from Birmingham) and found accomodation for the night at a hotel that only just lived up to youth hostel standards.

Tomorrow will be a rest day, taking the train from Settle to Carlisle. It will be nice to see the scenery which was too misty to appreciate yesterday.

--
Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I met my parents in Settle (they drove up from Birmingham) and found

accomodation for the night at a hotel that only just lived up to youth
hostel standards.

Oh well - I assumed you'd be going further than Settle, as you could have
had a bed if you'd wanted...

cheers,
clive