JOGLE Day 4

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], May 21, 2004.

  1. On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:5:23 -0001, [email protected] (Richard
    Bates) wrote:

    >Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.
    >
    >www.artybee.net for full report
    >
    >--
    >Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
    >Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.

    You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    Tags:

  2. >Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.

    >www.artybee.net for full report

    What you need is a welcoming overnight stay in Norfolk, my boy, where you can
    be amply supplied with home-cooked food, supplied with ample quantities of el
    vino collapso, and spend the night in a warm guest room in a comfy bed with
    nice soft duvet...

    If you've lost the contact details, email me, and I'll pick it up on the
    wafflycat addy...

    If you are veggie or a meat eater, I'll cook up a feast.

    Cheers, Auntie helen s
    (worrying about urc regulars getting cold and worn out)

  3. Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.

    www.artybee.net for full report

    --
    Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
    Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.
    --
    Sent using an unregistered copy of RMRNews v1.00
    Check out our website at http://www.rmrsoft.com/

  4. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
    in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
    drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
    them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels survive
    through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
    puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "[Not Responding]" wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:5:23 -0001, [email protected] (Richard
    > Bates) wrote:
    >
    > >Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.
    > >
    > >www.artybee.net for full report
    > >
    > >--
    > >Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
    > >Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.

    > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    Yes it did, and was so much better for it.

    When staying at YHs now you now have to fill in a form that asks for
    vehicle reg.no.
    I always put 'bike' (or 'trike').

    John B

  6. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    > It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a

    day
    > in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    > YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
    > drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
    > them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels

    survive
    > through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
    > puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

    I'd agree with that. Last weekend I stayed in Lockton Hostel. There were
    four of us, I arrived by bike, Barney on foot and the other two guys in
    their own cars. One of them kindly drove us to the pub, he didn't drink so
    everyone was happy. They couldn't ban motorists, they'd only park in the
    road and cause more problems, if they bothered to use the YHs at all. If
    they didn't the places would close for good. Its the large groups that I
    object to, so I can't get booked in anywhere. I'll be in Bellingham YH next
    Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
    Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:

    > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    Yes, when I was younger you were not allowed to arrive by car. If it was the
    start of your trip the form used to be to park you car somewhere local but
    away from the hostel and then walk the last quarter mile.

    Tony

  8. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    vernon levy wrote:

    > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    > It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
    > in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    > YHA's rationalisation programme.

    They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
    in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

    > I don't have a difficulty with folk who
    > drive to Youth Hostels.

    The main problem I have is that those arriving by motor vehicle tend to
    have less consideration for those who have walked or cycled. After a
    hard days riding one of the last things I want is to be kept up late by
    loud televisions and late arrivals from the pub.

    > The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
    > them as a core source of income.

    You are probably unfortunately right :-(
    I have camped a lot more since the YHA changed its rules.

    John B

  9. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    > Its the large groups that I
    > object to, so I can't get booked in anywhere

    I couldn't agree more.
    One problem is that many school and youth groups now demand exclusive
    use of hostels even if they don't fill all the beds due to 'safety' concerns.

    I have also come across couples booking four or six bedded rooms just so
    they didn't have to share with anyone else.

    John B

  10. On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:16:30 +0100, "vernon levy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    >> somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    >It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
    >in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    >YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
    >drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
    >them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels survive
    >through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
    >puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

    I wasn't advocating a reinstatement of the rule; merely observing.

    I haven't done YHA'ing since I was 14, 20 years ago and don't imagine
    I'll be rejoining in the foreseeable future. How they run and fund
    their organisation is entirely none of my business.

    However, I do hope they do whatever is needed to retain their vitality
    and usefulness.

  11. "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "[Not Responding]" wrote:
    > >

    > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    > Yes it did, and was so much better for it.

    That must have been in the days when they used to expect you to do some
    cleaning chores in't mornings as well then ;) Things have moved on since..

    I am a current member of YHA, having rejoined when the children were small,
    many moons ago (the youngest is nearly 17 now). We always arrived by car,
    and booked a family room. The reality is that people of all ages are much
    more likely to arrive by car than any other means these days, and that
    parents and their children - and probably everyone else - can sleep better
    if families are in family rooms - which is firmly the direction in which
    YHAs have been moving - more family rooms, smaller dormitories too. I think
    it's good. I don't see any problem about allowing people to arrive by car,
    or the provision of family rooms, or anything else that YHA has been doing
    over the years to be more inclusive while delivering affordable
    accommodation in remote and beautiful places.

    Rich

  12. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Richard
    Goodman <[email protected]> writes
    >"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> "[Not Responding]" wrote:
    >> >

    >> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    >> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    >> Yes it did, and was so much better for it.
    >>

    >That must have been in the days when they used to expect you to do some
    >cleaning chores in't mornings as well then ;) Things have moved on since..

    It wasn't that long ago that they stopped the chores thing, the non car
    rule must have been some time earlier as I can't remember it. I never
    mined the chores, but I can see why they have dropped them.

    >I am a current member of YHA, having rejoined when the children were small,
    >many moons ago (the youngest is nearly 17 now). We always arrived by car,
    >and booked a family room. The reality is that people of all ages are much
    >more likely to arrive by car than any other means these days, and that
    >parents and their children - and probably everyone else - can sleep better
    >if families are in family rooms - which is firmly the direction in which
    >YHAs have been moving - more family rooms, smaller dormitories too. I think
    >it's good.

    The nice thing about arriving by bike, on foot etc. is that you always
    feel just that little bit smug :) - even though I'm quite likely to
    arrive by car as well.......... Of course it's a non-issue really as I
    can't see that the YHa would have any realistic alternative.

    I do like the family rooms, it means we were able to take Elinor
    hostelling when she was 2, and hopefully spogling will go a lot younger.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  13. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
    >vernon levy wrote:
    >>

    >> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    >> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    >> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
    >> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    >> YHA's rationalisation programme.

    >They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
    >in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

    Hmm, most hostels are still either country or small town ones. I would
    expect that the big city hostels are significant money earners for the
    YHA, if that helps keep the rest of the network open then all well and
    good.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  14. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:
    > "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"[Not Responding]" wrote:
    >>

    >>>You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    >>>somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    My good friend Rob Brock is the YHA's Sustainable Transport Officer. One
    of the things he's had to do is stop visiting YH's using a combination
    of Brompton & Rail/Bus, because he was developing a false impression of
    how easy it is to get to YH's without a car. Suddenly, if you're not
    using a bike, esp. a folding bike, it becomes a lot slower and a lot
    more expensive. That's how car-dependant a society we've become - you
    can hardly expect the YHA not to respond to that. What the YHA are doing
    is starting to look at the issues - encouraging cycle routes to YH's and
    negotiating discounts with PT operators for people who are staying at
    YH's. It's not enough but it's a start.

    Simon

  15. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > I'll be in Bellingham YH next
    > Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
    > Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

    Almost tempted to join you. I was thinking of attempting the Sutrans
    variation of that route in the reverse direction.

    I'lll probably do bugger all for a day or two and go somewhere later in the
    week - a colleague has highly recommended the Trans-Pennine Route having
    completed it at Easter.

  16. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    chris French wrote:

    > >> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
    > >> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
    > >> YHA's rationalisation programme.

    > >They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
    > >in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

    > Hmm, most hostels are still either country or small town ones. I would
    > expect that the big city hostels are significant money earners for the
    > YHA, if that helps keep the rest of the network open then all well and
    > good.

    When I started using YHs, about 25 years ago, there were many small
    hostels within easy reach of me for a weekend cycle ride.
    Now they are few and far between.
    Gone are Norleywood, Cranborne, Overton, Marnhull, Whitwell (IOW)
    Goodings, Inglesham, Henley, Duntisbourne, Charlbury, Lee Gate and
    Milford. Southampton and Windsor, larger town hostels, also closed.
    Additions are far and few between. Ridgeway opened several years back as
    did Totland (IOW), Lulworth and more recently Portland. Two large town
    YHs opened - Bristol (sometimes described as a prison barracks) and the
    new replacement Oxford hostel from £20 per night.
    I may have missed one or two but that makes quite a deficit and mainly
    from the smaller rural and small town ones.

    One very welcome initiative has been the leasing out of the YHA branding
    name to small private owners and one opened near me this year at the
    Cholderton Rare Breeds Farm, a great place where for just £10.60 you
    stay on the farm and have 'free' entry to the attraction too.
    But that's about it.

    Given some of the decisions on closures made by the YHA in the last 25
    years, I am very sceptical that the intention is for the larger hostels
    to support the smaller ones. I foresee the YHA ending up only running
    large backpacker city hostels plus outdoor centres catering for the
    group market, while smaller ones are provided by private owners using
    the YHA name.

    John B

  17. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    vernon levy wrote:
    >> I'll be in Bellingham YH next
    >> Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
    >> Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

    > Almost tempted to join you. I was thinking of attempting the Sutrans
    > variation of that route in the reverse direction.
    >
    > I'lll probably do bugger all for a day or two and go somewhere later
    > in the week - a colleague has highly recommended the Trans-Pennine
    > Route having completed it at Easter.

    I'm catching a train to Berwick-upon-Tweed on Saturday morning, not too
    early, £15 one way ticket arriving at about 14:00. [I had planned on going
    to Edinburgh and cycling to Melrose SYHA but couldn't get booked into the
    hostel, nor Wooler]. I'll ride the 60 miles to Bellingham YH on Saturday
    afternoon/evening. Sunday I'll ride 60 miles or so to my parents in
    Hartlepool then on Bank Holiday Monday the 95 or so back home.

    Are you thinking of the Trans-Pennine-Trail (TPT) ? I have done parts of the
    route around Leeds and the Selby to York part, I believe you've already done
    that section, I have actually documented it but its not finished yet. I had
    hoped to do the part that goes up through Woodhead, maybe the August Bank
    Holiday weekend.

  18. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [Not Responding] wrote:
    > >
    > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
    > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

    > Yes, when I was younger you were not allowed to arrive by car. If it was

    the
    > start of your trip the form used to be to park you car somewhere local but
    > away from the hostel and then walk the last quarter mile.
    >
    > Tony

    I remember when the fuss when they changed, but can't remember the year.
    They were for walkers, canoists, cyclists etc but falling usasge meant
    increassing costs and future bankruptacy.
    Allowing cars meant increased usage.

    Many die hards were against it but the choice was motorists or no Youth
    Hostels.

    Paul.