JOGLE Day 4

[Not Responding]

Guest
On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:5:23 -0001, [email protected] (Richard
Bates) wrote:

>Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.
>
>www.artybee.net for full report
>
>--
>Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
>Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.

You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

>Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.
>
>www.artybee.net for full report

What you need is a welcoming overnight stay in Norfolk, my boy, where you can
be amply supplied with home-cooked food, supplied with ample quantities of el
vino collapso, and spend the night in a warm guest room in a comfy bed with
nice soft duvet...

If you've lost the contact details, email me, and I'll pick it up on the
wafflycat addy...

If you are veggie or a meat eater, I'll cook up a feast.

Cheers, Auntie helen s
(worrying about urc regulars getting cold and worn out)

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.

www.artybee.net for full report

--
Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.
--
Sent using an unregistered copy of RMRNews v1.00
Check out our website at http://www.rmrsoft.com/

> You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels survive
through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

"[Not Responding]" wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:5:23 -0001, [email protected] (Richard
> Bates) wrote:
>
> >Got from JOG to Dunbeath. Camping, cold, knackered.
> >
> >www.artybee.net for full report
> >
> >--
> >Sent from the middle of nowhere using a Psion
> >Series 5 palmtop and a Motorola mobile phone.

> You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

Yes it did, and was so much better for it.

When staying at YHs now you now have to fill in a form that asks for
vehicle reg.no.
I always put 'bike' (or 'trike').

John B

"vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a

day
> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
> YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
> drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
> them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels

survive
> through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
> puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

I'd agree with that. Last weekend I stayed in Lockton Hostel. There were
four of us, I arrived by bike, Barney on foot and the other two guys in
their own cars. One of them kindly drove us to the pub, he didn't drink so
everyone was happy. They couldn't ban motorists, they'd only park in the
road and cause more problems, if they bothered to use the YHs at all. If
they didn't the places would close for good. Its the large groups that I
object to, so I can't get booked in anywhere. I'll be in Bellingham YH next
Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

[Not Responding] wrote:

> You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

Yes, when I was younger you were not allowed to arrive by car. If it was the
start of your trip the form used to be to park you car somewhere local but
away from the hostel and then walk the last quarter mile.

Tony

vernon levy wrote:

> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
> YHA's rationalisation programme.

They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

> I don't have a difficulty with folk who
> drive to Youth Hostels.

The main problem I have is that those arriving by motor vehicle tend to
have less consideration for those who have walked or cycled. After a
hard days riding one of the last things I want is to be kept up late by
loud televisions and late arrivals from the pub.

> The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
> them as a core source of income.

You are probably unfortunately right :-(
I have camped a lot more since the YHA changed its rules.

John B

MSeries wrote:

> "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> > > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

> Its the large groups that I
> object to, so I can't get booked in anywhere

I couldn't agree more.
One problem is that many school and youth groups now demand exclusive
use of hostels even if they don't fill all the beds due to 'safety' concerns.

I have also come across couples booking four or six bedded rooms just so
they didn't have to share with anyone else.

John B

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:16:30 +0100, "vernon levy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
>> somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

>It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
>in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
>YHA's rationalisation programme. I don't have a difficulty with folk who
>drive to Youth Hostels. The organisation is probably heavily dependent on
>them as a core source of income. I'd rather the network of hostels survive
>through the use of motorist hostellers than to atrophy because of some
>puritanical stance to preserve the original ethos of the organisation.

I wasn't advocating a reinstatement of the rule; merely observing.

I haven't done YHA'ing since I was 14, 20 years ago and don't imagine
I'll be rejoining in the foreseeable future. How they run and fund
their organisation is entirely none of my business.

However, I do hope they do whatever is needed to retain their vitality
and usefulness.

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "[Not Responding]" wrote:
> >

> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

> Yes it did, and was so much better for it.

That must have been in the days when they used to expect you to do some
cleaning chores in't mornings as well then ;) Things have moved on since..

I am a current member of YHA, having rejoined when the children were small,
many moons ago (the youngest is nearly 17 now). We always arrived by car,
and booked a family room. The reality is that people of all ages are much
more likely to arrive by car than any other means these days, and that
parents and their children - and probably everyone else - can sleep better
if families are in family rooms - which is firmly the direction in which
YHAs have been moving - more family rooms, smaller dormitories too. I think
it's good. I don't see any problem about allowing people to arrive by car,
or the provision of family rooms, or anything else that YHA has been doing
over the years to be more inclusive while delivering affordable
accommodation in remote and beautiful places.

Rich

In message <[email protected]>, Richard
Goodman <[email protected]> writes
>"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "[Not Responding]" wrote:
>> >

>> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
>> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

>> Yes it did, and was so much better for it.
>>

>That must have been in the days when they used to expect you to do some
>cleaning chores in't mornings as well then ;) Things have moved on since..

It wasn't that long ago that they stopped the chores thing, the non car
rule must have been some time earlier as I can't remember it. I never
mined the chores, but I can see why they have dropped them.

>I am a current member of YHA, having rejoined when the children were small,
>many moons ago (the youngest is nearly 17 now). We always arrived by car,
>and booked a family room. The reality is that people of all ages are much
>more likely to arrive by car than any other means these days, and that
>parents and their children - and probably everyone else - can sleep better
>if families are in family rooms - which is firmly the direction in which
>YHAs have been moving - more family rooms, smaller dormitories too. I think
>it's good.

The nice thing about arriving by bike, on foot etc. is that you always
feel just that little bit smug :) - even though I'm quite likely to
arrive by car as well.......... Of course it's a non-issue really as I
can't see that the YHa would have any realistic alternative.

I do like the family rooms, it means we were able to take Elinor
hostelling when she was 2, and hopefully spogling will go a lot younger.
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
>vernon levy wrote:
>>

>> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
>> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

>> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
>> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
>> YHA's rationalisation programme.

>They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
>in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

Hmm, most hostels are still either country or small town ones. I would
expect that the big city hostels are significant money earners for the
YHA, if that helps keep the rest of the network open then all well and
good.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Richard Goodman wrote:
> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"[Not Responding]" wrote:
>>

>>>You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
>>>somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

My good friend Rob Brock is the YHA's Sustainable Transport Officer. One
of the things he's had to do is stop visiting YH's using a combination
of Brompton & Rail/Bus, because he was developing a false impression of
how easy it is to get to YH's without a car. Suddenly, if you're not
using a bike, esp. a folding bike, it becomes a lot slower and a lot
more expensive. That's how car-dependant a society we've become - you
can hardly expect the YHA not to respond to that. What the YHA are doing
is starting to look at the issues - encouraging cycle routes to YH's and
negotiating discounts with PT operators for people who are staying at
YH's. It's not enough but it's a start.

Simon

> I'll be in Bellingham YH next
> Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
> Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

Almost tempted to join you. I was thinking of attempting the Sutrans
variation of that route in the reverse direction.

I'lll probably do bugger all for a day or two and go somewhere later in the
week - a colleague has highly recommended the Trans-Pennine Route having
completed it at Easter.

chris French wrote:

> >> It's probably quite difficult to get from one hostel to another within a day
> >> in some parts of the country now that many of them have been closed in the
> >> YHA's rationalisation programme.

> >They seem to want to cater for those looking for 'cheap' accommodation
> >in the cities on the 'Do Britain in 7 Days' Tourist Trail'.

> Hmm, most hostels are still either country or small town ones. I would
> expect that the big city hostels are significant money earners for the
> YHA, if that helps keep the rest of the network open then all well and
> good.

When I started using YHs, about 25 years ago, there were many small
hostels within easy reach of me for a weekend cycle ride.
Now they are few and far between.
Gone are Norleywood, Cranborne, Overton, Marnhull, Whitwell (IOW)
Goodings, Inglesham, Henley, Duntisbourne, Charlbury, Lee Gate and
Milford. Southampton and Windsor, larger town hostels, also closed.
Additions are far and few between. Ridgeway opened several years back as
did Totland (IOW), Lulworth and more recently Portland. Two large town
YHs opened - Bristol (sometimes described as a prison barracks) and the
new replacement Oxford hostel from £20 per night.
I may have missed one or two but that makes quite a deficit and mainly
from the smaller rural and small town ones.

One very welcome initiative has been the leasing out of the YHA branding
name to small private owners and one opened near me this year at the
Cholderton Rare Breeds Farm, a great place where for just £10.60 you
stay on the farm and have 'free' entry to the attraction too.
But that's about it.

Given some of the decisions on closures made by the YHA in the last 25
years, I am very sceptical that the intention is for the larger hostels
to support the smaller ones. I foresee the YHA ending up only running
large backpacker city hostels plus outdoor centres catering for the
group market, while smaller ones are provided by private owners using
the YHA name.

John B

vernon levy wrote:
>> I'll be in Bellingham YH next
>> Saturday night (29th) BTW at the end of day 1 on my three day
>> Berwick-upon-Tweed to Leeds Tour.

> Almost tempted to join you. I was thinking of attempting the Sutrans
> variation of that route in the reverse direction.
>
> I'lll probably do bugger all for a day or two and go somewhere later
> in the week - a colleague has highly recommended the Trans-Pennine
> Route having completed it at Easter.

I'm catching a train to Berwick-upon-Tweed on Saturday morning, not too
early, £15 one way ticket arriving at about 14:00. [I had planned on going
to Edinburgh and cycling to Melrose SYHA but couldn't get booked into the
hostel, nor Wooler]. I'll ride the 60 miles to Bellingham YH on Saturday
afternoon/evening. Sunday I'll ride 60 miles or so to my parents in
Hartlepool then on Bank Holiday Monday the 95 or so back home.

Are you thinking of the Trans-Pennine-Trail (TPT) ? I have done parts of the
route around Leeds and the Selby to York part, I believe you've already done
that section, I have actually documented it but its not finished yet. I had
hoped to do the part that goes up through Woodhead, maybe the August Bank
Holiday weekend.

Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [Not Responding] wrote:
> >
> > You say that people who drive to YHs annoy you. I was reading
> > somewhere (C+ ?) that the YHA used to forbid arriving by car.

> Yes, when I was younger you were not allowed to arrive by car. If it was

the
> start of your trip the form used to be to park you car somewhere local but
> away from the hostel and then walk the last quarter mile.
>
> Tony

I remember when the fuss when they changed, but can't remember the year.
They were for walkers, canoists, cyclists etc but falling usasge meant
increassing costs and future bankruptacy.
Allowing cars meant increased usage.

Many die hards were against it but the choice was motorists or no Youth
Hostels.

Paul.