Jogle - Made it!

"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I thought the traditional route was South West to North East to take advantage of the prevailing
> wind from the Atlantic. <snip>
Yeah, someone pointed that out after I'd decided which way to go and booked
(i.e. paid for) the rail tickets. Again, think I was very lucky with the weather generally. Don't
know what the wind was actually doing but didn't even notice it until Dingwall (just north of
Inverness) on Day 2, then only occassionally and nothing to write home about. The last day,
Penzance to Lands End, then back to Penzance threatened to provide a headwind for the ride
back to Penzance, but even that had died down by the time I'd celebrated, feasted and photo'd.
Very pleasant easy ride back. I'd done and decided I could take a real easy pace back and
finally enjoy the scenery. Lots of fields of daffodils, very nice. Cheers, Dave.

In a brief moment of lucidity Dave scribbled:

> Deep and interesting thoughts from trip.....
> 1. It's just like life, got a beginning, an end and lots of variety and challenging bits in the
> middle..... or (my personal favourite)
> 2. 'S a nice ride.

Heheheh .. nice one.

Congratulations.

--

Completed 1550 Seti work units in 11699 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

...but you 'oldies' tell us life begins at forty so this 37 YO wants to do these things while he
still has the time !!

My original comment was mean't not aimed at anyone over forty, just a personal target to aim for
without which it would drag on and on, before I know it I'd be playing golf in the Algarve and my
bikes would be gathering dust in the garage/kitchen.

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >But OTOH if people are going to start saying they've 'got to do it before' they're 30 or 40, as
> >if they couldn't do it after, maybe we 'oldies' should show them it's possible! (Or do it before
> >we're any older too...)
>
> Now that seems entirely the right attitude. Personally I think all the 'youngsters' who think that
> post 40 means "over-the-hill" should be forced to watch The World Track Masters event. That'd show
> them how fit oldies can be :)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> 'Oldies'! Me! The borough where I work has a program called 'Better Government for older people',
> by which they mean 50+. I thought it was bad enough being considered an 'older' person ..

A friend of mine was buying himself a ticket for a concert, and was asked if he was an old age
pensioner. He told me, "I was so annoyed I said 'yes' and got in for half price."

--
Dave...

"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well done, you make me envious, I was planning on LeJog in 15 days last summer, but I was made
> redundant and couldn't justify the expense. This
year
> I have been cajoled into Raid Pyrenean so it'll have to wait until next year. Got to do it before
> I am forty.
>
> I look forward to your route details appearing on here.

As requested, a brief route details. I'll try and set-up a link to a full account some time in
the future.

I had 13 consecutive days off work. The thinking went - 1 day to get to JOG on train, 10 days
cycling, 1 day to get back home on train, 1 days rest before return to work. With 10 days cycling
and approx 1000 miles to cover, 100 miles a day seemed like a good idea. It was less than a
thousand miles, so I had a bit of an allowance built into the plan. I sat down with a road map and
a bit of string that represented 10 miles and came up with the following route. Each day was
approx. 100 miles.

Day 1 - John O' Groats to Invergordon. A9 Day 2 - Invergordon to Glen Coe A9, A862, A833, A82 Day 3
- Glen Coe to Kilmarnock A82, A77 Day 4 - Kilmarnock to Carlisle A76, A75, A74 Day 5 - Carlisle to
Preston A6, A66, A592, A591, A6 Day 6 - Preston to Willenhall (home, M6 J10, between Walsall &
Wolverhampton) A49, A56, A55, A41 Day 7 - Willenhall to Bristol airport. A449, A38 Day 8 - Bristol
to Bideford A38, A39 Day 9 - Bideford to Penzance A39, A30 Day 10 - Penzance to Lands End (and
back.....to Penzance!) A30. (only 20 miles!)

So that was the plan, to get from point A to point B as quickly and cheaply as possible. I intended
to sleep in a hammock, sleeping bag, waterproof cover set-up, grabbing breakfast / evening meals at
roadside cafes / fish n chip shops. 1st night spent on park bench in JOG mini-mal shopping centre.
No trees for hammock. Tried tying hammock to mini-mal rainroof support pillars. Unfortunately
enamelled steel posts, hammock kept slipping down!!...Sea mist in when I arrived, dissappeared about
0300hrs to be replaced by frost. Finally got up around 0630 and decided this might not be a good way
of spending nights following a hard days cycling. Cycled to Carbisdale Castle YHA, as recommended by
someone on this site (thanks!!). Joined the YHA, stayed at castle, well worth it. Hot shower, comfy
bed (wuss, I know!). Due to start-up times at YHA, didn't manage to make cycling start until approx
1000hrs ! Carbisdale left me approx 30 miles short of the 'Crow flies South' target for the first
day, although actual mileage exceeded planned. Both head & taillights had fallen off bike & broken
1st day, due to not being able to use standard fixings thanks to luggage. So, due to lack of lights,
finished 2nd day at Fort Augustus. This meant still another 30 miles just to get to Fort William and
Glen Coe was another 10 miles. Day 3, set out at 0800, got to Fort William at 1130. Realised the 90
miles to Loch Lomond YHA would only be achieved by 2030 at earliest, given no problems and I'd still
be well short of plan (Kilmarnock). As the road over the Cairngorms is very remote and if I got
stuck there was a good chance it would cause real problems, I took the train from Fort William to
Glasgow. This is the deep and dark secret of the trip and if anyone wishes to withdraw previously
issued congratualtions at this point, I'll understand. It meant I could get back on schedule for the
trip. There was dark clouds and snow up there, as could be seen from Ft. William :(...... Anyway,
picked route back up at Glasgow and finally got out of Glasgow after
2.5 hours and a close brush with the Clyde tunnel and my first puncture going through the Clyde
cycle tunnel, of all places. Respect to help from a cyclist called Jim who seriously helped out
with finding the A77. Made it to Kilmarnock and got back on schedule, as per above. From that
point on the only deviation to the plan was to avoid the diversion on Day 5 that would've taken me
via Windermere and off the main road for a little while. Due to earlier experience I became
focused on making the target for the end of each day, then relaxing, so I stayed on the A6 all the
way from Carlisle to Preston. Still very pleasant. I also didn't make Bideford on Day 8, fell 10
miles short at Barnstaple due to going through Porlock & Lynton/Lynmouth. 2 unbelievable hills
that could've been avoided I found out later. Managed to make the 10 miles up the following day
into Penzance. My god, that A30 is a bloody motorway, also has lots of useful fast downhills.....

So that's the route and deviations. I stayed in 2 youth hostels, 2 private residences, 2 B&B's, 1
backpackers hostel, 1 pay by the hour cesspit (very nice people though!!) and 1 park bench. I was
aware that I had failed with keeping the costs down, but the mention of 'doing it for charidy, mate'
always got a discount ;-). I was also aware that if I didn't make it to Penzance for the time I'd
pre-booked the train ticket home, I'd have to pay an additional £88, which I really didn't want to
have to do, hence the decision to take the train in Scotland (only £18)....That plus what I like to
consider a potential Health & Safety issue. I didn't want any emergency services put out having to
rescue me.

Cheers,

Dave.

davep <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> yes, very lucky with the weather. your body coped OK?
>
> davep

Yes, I'm very jealous of the weather you snagged. What did you do, sacrifice some virgins
before you left?

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davep <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > yes, very lucky with the weather. your body coped OK?
> >
> > davep
>
> Yes, I'm very jealous of the weather you snagged. What did you do, sacrifice some virgins before
> you left?

Ain't got none of them round these 'ere parts mate ;-) 'ave to admit, much as I'd rather claim to
having had some part in arranging it, it was just the best luck I could've wished for....anyone need
6 numbers between 1 & 49 ? Dave.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:21:28 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi y'all... Well, made it, John O' Groats to Lands End in 9 days and last one was Penzance to Lands
>End, i.e. 10 miles.

Well done and many congrats, Dave. D'you have a complete story of your epic ride on the www
somewhere?

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:21:28 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi y'all... Well, made it, John O' Groats to Lands End in 9 days and last one was Penzance to
> >Lands End, i.e. 10 miles.
>
> Well done and many congrats, Dave. D'you have a complete story of your epic ride on the www
> somewhere?
>
> James
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

Not yet James....but I'm working on it. I'll let you know when. Never quite got to grip with
publishing on the net yet, but there's always a first I suppose, and this could be it (hopefully!)
Cheers, Dave.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:46:27 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not yet James....but I'm working on it. I'll let you know when. Never quite got to grip with
>publishing on the net yet, but there's always a first I suppose, and this could be it (hopefully!)

Gosh, you're extremely lazy, Dave. One would think that you'd done some sort of long cycle ride or
something ;-)

But so be it, as and when.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:46:27 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Not yet James....but I'm working on it. I'll let you know when. Never
quite
> >got to grip with publishing on the net yet, but there's always a first I suppose, and this could
> >be it (hopefully!)
>
> Gosh, you're extremely lazy, Dave. One would think that you'd done some sort of long cycle ride or
> something ;-)
>
> But so be it, as and when.
>
> James
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

I'd rather cycle a thousand miles than try and publish a page on the net ;-) but seriously, cycled
all those miles, got back with no physical side effects, went for my regular 12 mile run this
morning and ended up with both sore legs and a bad feeling in my lower back. Therefore, I'd prefer
to cycle a hundred miles a day than run for an hour and a half !! Obviously 10 days in the saddle
with no impact exercise was enough to make me soft when it came to physical resilience when
running. Dave.