JOGLE progress

vernon

Guest
I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.

My blog is up to date now and can be found at
http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/

Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
16 days of riding.

Vernon

vernon wrote:
> I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
>
> My blog is up to date now and can be found at
> http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/
>
> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
> 16 days of riding.

Great to hear it is still going strong, and the bike is still in one
piece!

...d

David Martin wrote:
> vernon wrote:
> > I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> > a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
> >

> Great to hear it is still going strong, and the bike is still in one
> piece!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how everything on my bike and body are
holding up. Shap was the nadir of the ride so far and the stretch down
to Devon should be relatively painless. Bike touring is a great way to
meet people and I've been offered accommodation in Brittany should I
ever go there. Looks like next year's tour is taking shape already ;-)

Vernon

vernon wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > vernon wrote:
> > > I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> > > a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
> > >

> > Great to hear it is still going strong, and the bike is still in one
> > piece!
> >

> I'm pleasantly surprised by how everything on my bike and body are
> holding up. Shap was the nadir of the ride so far and the stretch down
> to Devon should be relatively painless. Bike touring is a great way to
> meet people and I've been offered accommodation in Brittany should I
> ever go there. Looks like next year's tour is taking shape already ;-)
>
> Vernon

Next Year ? Just keep heading south once you get to the end of England
!! Good luck for the remainder of your journey, you are an inspiration.

vernon wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > vernon wrote:
> > > I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> > > a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
> > >

> > Great to hear it is still going strong, and the bike is still in one
> > piece!
> >

> I'm pleasantly surprised by how everything on my bike and body are
> holding up. Shap was the nadir of the ride so far and the stretch down
> to Devon should be relatively painless. Bike touring is a great way to
> meet people and I've been offered accommodation in Brittany should I
> ever go there. Looks like next year's tour is taking shape already ;-)

I think I saw you in Waverley looking hassled on your way up to
Inverness. I also missed the 10.06 from Leeds as it was cancelled at
York, got the next one (at Darlington, 11.39) and saw someone answering
your description (big chap, black touring bike with altura panniers,
mile-eater jersey) wandering through the station whilst I (shortish,
greying beard, black road bike with saddlebag, rucksack, casual
clothes) was sat waiting for my train to Dundee.

...d

"vernon" <[email protected]>typed

> I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.

> My blog is up to date now and can be found at
> http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/

> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
> 16 days of riding.

Well done. Glad you're ride's going OK.

Umm... I know I'm getting on, but it's not August 2007 YET is it? Help!
who stole my year?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

David Martin wrote:

> I think I saw you in Waverley looking hassled on your way up to
> Inverness. I also missed the 10.06 from Leeds as it was cancelled at
> York, got the next one (at Darlington, 11.39) and saw someone answering
> your description (big chap, black touring bike with altura panniers,
> mile-eater jersey) wandering through the station whilst I (shortish,
> greying beard, black road bike with saddlebag, rucksack, casual
> clothes) was sat waiting for my train to Dundee.

Yep that was me. GNER screwed up. I was promised assistance to get
across Waverley station as there was about 10 minutes to get to the
other side and I had to unload my bike and rehitch my panniers etc
before being able to start the transfer. The assistance did not
materialise. Being unfamiliar with the station I got to the barriers as
the Inverness train pulled out. I was harrassed becasue no-one was
willing to accept responsibility...the GNER chap promised me a journey
to Inverness and no more. Scotrail sent me back to GNER, GNER sent me
back to Scotrail and no one was prepared to let me leave my bike at
their office. I could have cheerfully killed the GNER chap because of
his cavalier attitude... Scotrail eventually came up trumps.

I recall seeing you too.

It all turned out OK in the end. Though the quiet coach onn the
Inverness leg of the journey was probably the noisiest of the entire
train. But that's another story :)

-=V=-

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Umm... I know I'm getting on, but it's not August 2007 YET is it? Help!
> who stole my year?

I think I used the wrong year when I made a posting a while back.
Panic not, dementia has not set in and time travel is not yet a
possibility :)

Vernon

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
> 16 days of riding.
>
> Vernon

Ahh memories during our LE to JOG last year in a hurry to get from Carlisle
to Dumfries as it was pissing down with rain we went along that stretch of
road, worst mistake ive ever made on a bike it was horrendous as it narrowed
in stretches. As we got to that metal bridge just before the border the road
narrows and we didnt see the small path up the side of the bridge, my mate
didnt want to cycle on the road with traffic bombing past at 80 odd mph so
we went underneath and ended up inside an MOD property as we tried to cross
the West Coast Main railway line god knows what we were thinking but it
lookd the best option at the time . After lifting bikes over a fence and a
bloody burn and arguing with may mate i said f**k it im cycling over the
road and then i saw the small path up the side felt like a right
plonker.Anyway goodluck should be plain sailing for you from Lancashire
down.

Rosco

"Rosco-p-coltraine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
>> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
>> 16 days of riding.
>>
>> Vernon

> Ahh memories during our LE to JOG last year in a hurry to get from
> Carlisle to Dumfries as it was pissing down with rain we went along that
> stretch of road, worst mistake ive ever made on a bike it was horrendous
> as it narrowed in stretches. As we got to that metal bridge just before
> the border the road narrows and we didnt see the small path up the side of
> the bridge, my mate didnt want to cycle on the road with traffic bombing
> past at 80 odd mph so we went underneath and ended up inside an MOD
> property as we tried to cross the West Coast Main railway line god knows
> what we were thinking but it lookd the best option at the time . After
> lifting bikes over a fence and a bloody burn and arguing with may mate i
> said f**k it im cycling over the road and then i saw the small path up the
> side felt like a right plonker.Anyway goodluck should be plain sailing for
> you from Lancashire down.
>
> Rosco

Yep - know that stretch well - we did JOGLE and were in a hurry to get
Carlisle Station to meet someone joining us for part of the ride so we used
the
A74 from Gretna.

Fortunately it was brilliant sunshine, so not too bad - the hard shoulder,
apart from the bridge, was helpful ! - story at www.beewee.co.uk and the
obvious link

RG

vernon wrote:
> I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
> a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
>
> My blog is up to date now and can be found at
> http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/
>
> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
> 16 days of riding.

*bump*

According to my calculations he started today less than 60 miles from
LE.

-Alex

"Alex" <[email protected]> of http://groups.google.com wrote:

>vernon wrote:
>> I'm now more or less at the half way point at Preston. I'm staying at
>> a fellow LEJOGer's house in Preston and I'm having Thursday off.
>>
>> My blog is up to date now and can be found at
>> http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Had a hairy time on the A74 Cumberland Gap and a miserable time going
>> over Shap but spirits are fine and looking forwards to completing it in
>> 16 days of riding.

>*bump*
>
>According to my calculations he started today less than 60 miles from
>LE.

Today's reported mileage is 52, so looks like it will be tomorrow.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group