JOGLE Red hair do ?!!?....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18 March,
    train upto JOG, start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope. I'm roughing it,
    in a hammock, starting the day on an alpen bar, lots of water, closely followed by the nearest
    little chef olympic breakfast. at the end of the day the nearest chip shop'll get my business.
    Better get a route sorted, bags bought, tickets purchased and I suppose a few sponsors for red nose
    day might help with focus to complete the ride..... a bit of training probably won't go amiss.....
    So, anyone know if there's any trees in Scotland, north of Inverness ? (only disadvantage of
    hammocks ;-) Any advice gratefully received. Have checked various accounts / sites on the web,
    Ianclaire <sp?>, etc. Cheers, Dave. (8 days 'n' countin'...)

    Tags:

  2. Roger Thorpe

    Roger Thorpe Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18
    > March, train upto JOG, start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope.
    >>snip<<<

    Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might I
    suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of the
    windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power to you
    anyway. Roger

    --
    Roger Thorpe

    My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

  3. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    Agree with Roger. Having done LE-JOG I wouldn't want to do it the other way round. Apart from the
    wind the hardest part is in Cornwall (contrary to what you might expect). I wouldn't fancy Cornish
    hills at the end of the trip, I prefer to do them while still fresh. As for trees, they are a bit
    rare in the far north. Have a good trip, whichever way round you do it! Jo "Roger Thorpe"
    > Dave wrote:
    > > Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18
    > > March, train upto
    JOG,
    > > start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope.
    > >>snip<<<
    > >

    > Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might I
    > suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of the
    > windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power to you
    > anyway. Roger
    >

    > --
    > Roger Thorpe
    >
    > My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > a bit of training probably won't go amiss.....

    I hope that's a joke. If you haven't started already you've left it a teensy bit late. It's a
    l-o-n-g way.

    > So, anyone know if there's any trees in Scotland, north of Inverness ? (only disadvantage of
    > hammocks ;-)

    Not according to Dr. Johnson.

    > Any advice gratefully received.

    As Roger says, you would be better advised to LEJOG than to JOGLE, to take advantage of the
    prevailing winds. From the amount of preparation you appear to have done so far that shouldn't have
    a major impact on your plans.

    > (8 days 'n' countin'...)

    I wouldn't worry about training at this point; it's too late to make much difference now. Use the
    time to plan your route, make sure your bike is up to the journey, and to get enough sponsors a)
    to make it worth your while and b) to give you the motivation not to give up when you're wet,
    cold, hurting, miserable, and still hundreds of miles from your goal. It is doable in 10 days for
    a fit, healthy, highly motivated but untrained person, but it's very tough, especially sleeping
    in the open.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave wrote:
    > > Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18
    > > March, train upto
    JOG,
    > > start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope.
    > >>snip<<<
    > >

    > Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might
    > I suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of
    > the windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power
    > to you anyway.

    Wind at Wick at 1640h today is 35 mph NNW, so if he'd set off now, he'd be laughing.

  6. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:24:30 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So, anyone know if there's any trees in Scotland, north of Inverness ? (only disadvantage of
    >hammocks ;-)

    A hammock? Crikey.

    How about a Thermarest and bivibag instead?

    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

    Bob

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks y'all. Yup, I was joking about the training, have been doing some lengthy cycling as well as
    running over the last few months, although I don't think even that could prepare me for what lies
    ahead. The crap has already started today..... Train fares were £75 & £12.50 yesterday. By the time
    I booked them today they'd gone upto £106 & £16.50, the latter went up as I was booking it !!! Got
    my bags, so I now have a grand total of 40 litres of space to play with, plus sleeping stuff on top.
    Thought a new pair of tyres at least would not go amiss as the pair currently on the bike look like
    they've been there since day 1. Fell victim to the great untrained at Half*rds. If it says 27 x
    11/4, then it must be the same, despite the fact that on the original it says 28x630 and on the ones
    H*lf*rds insist are 'the same mate, probably'., it says 32 x 630. Being 'old school', I dared to
    believe them. More fool me!...Due to the small, but nevertheless relevant, difference, I now have 2
    useless new tyres from H*lf*rds, a blown out innertube and only 7 days to go. H*lf*rds also tried to
    convince me that 27 x 15/8 would also fit, no probs. LBS says no chance....how I love
    standardisation. Anyway, onwards and upwards.... Cheers, Dave
    p.s., Roger, I'm beginning to think it's more foolish than brave..watch out for me on the news ;-)
    p.p.s. - I wasn't going to do it for sponsorship, but as I said, I think it'll help focus. Any idea
    where you get hold of the 'check cards' ?

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  9. Thus spake "Dave" <[email protected]>

    > p.s., Roger, I'm beginning to think it's more foolish than brave..watch out for me on the news ;-)
    > pps - I wasn't going to do it for sponsorship, but as I said, I think it'll help focus. Any idea
    > where you get hold of the 'check cards' ?

    Join Audax UK and find out about doing the End-to-End as a 'Permanent'? This might well take more
    than 6 days to sort since all AUK 'Officials' are volunteers with 'lives' to have.

  10. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:48:09 -0000, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Dave wrote:
    >> > Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18
    >> > March, train upto
    > JOG,
    >> > start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope.
    >> >

    >> Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might I
    >> suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of the
    >> windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power to you
    >> anyway.
    >
    > Wind at Wick at 1640h today is 35 mph NNW, so if he'd set off now, he'd be laughing.

    Oh come on! No matter where you are on a bike or which direction you're going in, the wind is
    *always* against you. You lot are clearly not cyclists at all and I claim my five pounds ;o)

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] Fell victim
    > > to the great untrained at Half*rds.
    >
    > Some Herbert in there tried to sell me a 700C front wheel until I pointed out to them that it was
    > a back wheel they had in their hand.
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Ha-ha!... I've forgiven them now. Went in this morning with arms full of tyres, wheels and inner
    tubes. When asked by trained member how I was, I said dissappointed. Went through what happened with
    his untrained colleagues the day before. He swapped the crap tyres for a pair of contis and advised
    that I'd get my arms ripped off for the tyres I'd taken off by those in the know...apparently even
    with the cracking sidewall... this effect is much sought after !??! He also fitted a fresh pair of
    innertubes so don't have to invest in a new pair for the trip. Fitted them all (I'd taken the wheels
    in) and then offered a free service of the bike to prep for the trip, free of charge. I erred <s?>
    on the side of caution and declined his offer, but thanked him for his service and offer, then
    bought a new pump off him ! I refused the offer of the service 'cos everything is happily rusted and
    corroded in place and I know what'll happen if someone starts tinkering...no problem for years then
    2 days into trip, middle of nowhere and an 'impossible to replace, mate' bit'll fall off !!...can't
    fool me! Off on a test ride to Brum now to test out the new tyres, wear the saddle in a bit more and
    get some more sponsorship going ;-) Cheers, Dave.

  12. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:48:09 -0000, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Dave wrote:
    >> > Ok, been thinking about it long enough... I'm doing John O' Groats to Lands End, starting 18
    >> > March, train upto
    > JOG,
    >> > start cycling 19 March, arrive in LE approx 10 days later, I hope.
    >> >

    >> Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might I
    >> suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of the
    >> windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power to you
    >> anyway.
    >
    > Wind at Wick at 1640h today is 35 mph NNW, so if he'd set off now, he'd be laughing.

    Oh come on! No matter where you are on a bike or which direction you're going in, the wind is
    *always* against you. You lot are clearly not cyclists at all and I claim my five pounds ;o)

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > He swapped the crap tyres for a pair of contis and advised that I'd get my arms ripped off for the
    > tyres I'd taken off by those in the know...apparently even with the cracking sidewall... this
    > effect is much sought after !??!

    I've just fitted a Continental Contact today on my front wheel to go with the Schwalbe Marathon on
    the back. Looks like a very robust tyre; we'll see if it passes the glass infested cycle track
    test tomorrow.

  14. John B

    John B Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > pps - I wasn't going to do it for sponsorship, but as I said, I think it'll help focus. Any idea
    > where you get hold of the 'check cards' ?

    If you mean by 'check cards' some form of confirming your progress then the CTC is probably your
    best bet. www.ctc.org.uk

    Obtain their E2E pack which gives sample routes and a sheet for recording your stages, but you have
    to pay if you are not a member.

    However, you can make one yourself very easily - just a sheet of paper with a box for each day for
    obtaining a rubber 'stamp' or similar. At some point on each day, just pop into a post office and
    ask them to stamp your sheet. We did this last year and all asked helped out. We also obtained
    'stamps' from tourist offices, shops and even a building society.

    I don't know about Jo'G (as we went the 'easy' way) but the LE-JoG Association also provide a record
    sheet. We obtained one at LE, but ask at the JoG Hotel. And don't miss putting an entry into the
    book which is kept under the counter.

    I too think you are mad going N to S in March, but if you are reasonably fit you should manage it.
    If my 14-yr old daughter did it (also camping - and often 'wild') I'm sure you will.

    And to repeat what others have said - there are few trees at the top.

    John B

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:48:09 -0000, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > "Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > JOG,
    > >> >

    > >> Gosh, you are either brave or foolish. I would hate to say anything to put you off, but might I
    > >> suggest that you consider doing the trip in the other direction? After all March is one of the
    > >> windiest months of the year and the prevailing winds are from the south west. More power to you
    > >> anyway.
    > >
    > > Wind at Wick at 1640h today is 35 mph NNW, so if he'd set off now, he'd be laughing.
    > >

    > Oh come on! No matter where you are on a bike or which direction you're going in, the wind is
    > *always* against you. You lot are clearly not cyclists at all and I claim my five pounds ;o)
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

    Ha! - well done that man...twice too ! Can I claim one for sponsorship please ? ;-)

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > pps - I wasn't going to do it for sponsorship, but as I said, I think
    it'll
    > > help focus. Any idea where you get hold of the 'check cards' ?
    >
    > If you mean by 'check cards' some form of confirming your progress then
    the CTC
    > is probably your best bet. www.ctc.org.uk
    >
    > Obtain their E2E pack which gives sample routes and a sheet for recording
    your
    > stages, but you have to pay if you are not a member.
    >
    > However, you can make one yourself very easily - just a sheet of paper
    with a
    > box for each day for obtaining a rubber 'stamp' or similar. At some point on each day, just pop
    > into a post office and ask them to
    stamp
    > your sheet. We did this last year and all asked helped out. We also obtained 'stamps' from tourist
    > offices, shops and even a building society.
    >
    > I don't know about Jo'G (as we went the 'easy' way) but the LE-JoG
    Association
    > also provide a record sheet. We obtained one at LE, but ask at the JoG
    Hotel.
    > And don't miss putting an entry into the book which is kept under the
    counter.

    > I too think you are mad going N to S in March, but if you are reasonably
    fit
    > you should manage it. If my 14-yr old daughter did it (also camping - and
    often
    > 'wild') I'm sure you will.
    >
    > And to repeat what others have said - there are few trees at the top.
    >
    > John B

    Many thanks for that John. Another tick in thebox. I'll probably go for the DIY as I'm after cheap
    'n' cheerful and the train tickets to get there and back at either end of the ride have already
    blown the budget, never mind the luggage bags, new tyres, pump etc&etc... ;-) Cheers and thanks for
    the positive comments, Dave.

  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > Off on a test ride to Brum now to test out the new tyres, wear the saddle
    in
    > a bit more and get some more sponsorship going ;-) Cheers, Dave.

    Just got back from the test ride, no problems. New Conti Sport 1000s didn't explode, self destruct
    or let me down in anyway, saddle is v. comfortable already (oh yes, new brooks, remember ?) and
    waterproofs worked beautifully. It wasn't actually raining, but they kept the moisture in perfectly
    (just kiddin' ;-). Popped in to the place I took voluntary redundancy from 15 months ago. God bless
    'em, not only did they remember me, they all sponsored me for amounts from £5 - £40 each!!..thank
    god I didn't tell 'em I was only hoping for a pound each. Some were throwing the money in my
    direction and when I told 'em to hang onto it as I might not complete the event, they said keep it
    and when I do complete it and come in to collect the other's monies, they'll pay the same again!! To
    say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. Note to Self :- Must make more of an effort to get back
    to see them more regularly.

    Cheers, Dave.

  18. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Dave wrote:
    > >
    > > > pps - I wasn't going to do it for sponsorship, but as I said, I think
    > it'll
    > > > help focus. Any idea where you get hold of the 'check cards' ?

    > Association
    > > also provide a record sheet. We obtained one at LE, but ask at the JoG
    > Hotel.
    > > And don't miss putting an entry into the book which is kept under the
    > counter.
    > >
    > > I got my card from the LE-JOG association by joining them before and
    getting it by post, but you may not have time now. They have a web site which I am sure will have a
    phone number on it - maybe ring them and explain it is urgent? Otherwise can't see the problem with
    a home made one. I got my card stamped in garages, Police stations, camp sites etc. Almost any
    business has a stamp, and if they haven't they could sign it. I got mine signed by the Vicar in
    Leominster! Jo

  19. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave" <no-one[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > <snip>
    > > Off on a test ride to Brum now to test out the new tyres, wear the
    saddle
    > in
    > > a bit more and get some more sponsorship going ;-) Cheers, Dave.
    > >

    > Just got back from the test ride, no problems. New Conti Sport 1000s
    didn't
    > explode, self destruct or let me down in anyway, saddle is v. comfortable already (oh yes, new
    > brooks, remember ?) and waterproofs worked
    beautifully.
    > It wasn't actually raining, but they kept the moisture in perfectly (just kiddin' ;-). Popped in
    > to the place I took voluntary redundancy from 15 months ago. God bless 'em, not only did they
    > remember me, they all sponsored me for
    amounts
    > from £5 - £40 each!!..thank god I didn't tell 'em I was only hoping for a pound each. Some were
    > throwing the money in my direction and when I told
    'em
    > to hang onto it as I might not complete the event, they said keep it and when I do complete it and
    > come in to collect the other's monies, they'll
    pay
    > the same again!! To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. Note to Self :- Must make more of
    > an effort to get back to see them more regularly.
    >
    > Cheers, Dave.

    Just sat down and did my first serious bit of route planning......my god, what have I done ?!!?....
    Ah well, good job I got the sponsorship going, otherwise the lure of the sofa would be just too
    much!!. If I don't finish this at least 2 stone lighter I am going to be so p*ssed off!! cheers,
    Dave. 'Fools jump in where angels fear to tread'...(on my gravestone please ;-)

  20. Thus spake "Dave" <[email protected]>

    > If I don't finish this at least 2 stone lighter I am going to be so p*ssed off!!

    If you as much as half a stone in weight (in 10 days), you will lose muscle & feel really awful.