jogle report



J

james

Guest
Seen in the Canterbury Adscene (10p where sold). Front page headline
story with picture

Bike Boys Complete Epic Journey
by Ian Read (reproduced without permission)
These two schoolboys battles against the elements to make an epic
journey from one end of Britain to the other.
Brothers Aidan and Natan Blackall of Shallock Road, Broad Oak, told
their data Tony they wanted to ride from JOG to LE so he went out and
bought three bikes.
The trio took a train to Wick to begin their marathon trek through the
wind and rain.
They followed the Sustrans route route, keeping them off major roads,
and pedalled a staggering 1,184 miles. Theusual route is 874 miles.
Aidan 12, and Nathan 11, carried their own clothing, maps and
eqipment. Aidian had only cycled 12 miles before. Nathan had only
managed two.
And Tony, 50, hadn't been on a bike since he was a boy.
/summary bad weather, hills, miserable, didn't think they would make
it, flooding, proud of their achievment /summary.
Nathan says he doesn't care if he never sees another bike again.
He said: "I didn't like cycling before and I still don't"
/snip/
Now Tony is investigating whether Nathan and Aidan are the youngest
riders ever to pedal from the tip of Scotland to the Southwest of
England.


Now I think that for three non-cyclists this is quite an impressive
trip. They averaged 43 mpd which is respectable (even more so if you
could see their photo with a couple of front sus probikes in the
background) but Nathan's quote made me smile. One wonders how accuate
the representation was

best wishes
james
 
james vaguely muttered something like ...

> Nathan says he doesn't care if he never sees another bike again.
> He said: "I didn't like cycling before and I still don't"


Makes one wonder why they did it in the first place then ... or is this a
symptom of the new (it seems to me) cult of 'celebrity' that so many people
seem to be obsessed with.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."
 
"james" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seen in the Canterbury Adscene (10p where sold). Front page headline
> story with picture
>
> Bike Boys Complete Epic Journey
> by Ian Read (reproduced without permission)
> These two schoolboys battles against the elements to make an epic
> journey from one end of Britain to the other.
> Brothers Aidan and Natan Blackall of Shallock Road, Broad Oak, told
> their data Tony they wanted to ride from JOG to LE so he went out and
> bought three bikes.


data?

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
 
"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> james vaguely muttered something like ...
>
> > Nathan says he doesn't care if he never sees another bike again.
> > He said: "I didn't like cycling before and I still don't"

>
> Makes one wonder why they did it in the first place then ... or is this a
> symptom of the new (it seems to me) cult of 'celebrity' that so many people
> seem to be obsessed with.


you mean you think that they did it to get in the Cantabury Adscene?
(serving Cantabury, Faversham and Whitstable). It seemed to me that
there was more to it than that. They had obviously badgered their dad
about it for long enough for him to shell out for three bikes and give
up a month of his time on a venture that he must have had misgivings
about the chances of success. Maybe they really expected to like it
but got very unlucky withthe weather which too the shine off it for
them. Maybe the reporter focussed on the more "shouty" comments.
Maybe it was young boys showing off. Who knows?

best wishes
james
 
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Tumbleweed <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> data?


Spill-chucked OCR, I assume.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|
 
james vaguely muttered something like ...
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> james vaguely muttered something like ...
>>
>>> Nathan says he doesn't care if he never sees another bike again.
>>> He said: "I didn't like cycling before and I still don't"

>>
>> Makes one wonder why they did it in the first place then ... or is this a
>> symptom of the new (it seems to me) cult of 'celebrity' that so many
>> people seem to be obsessed with.

>
> you mean you think that they did it to get in the Cantabury Adscene?
> (serving Cantabury, Faversham and Whitstable). It seemed to me that
> there was more to it than that. They had obviously badgered their dad
> about it for long enough for him to shell out for three bikes and give
> up a month of his time on a venture that he must have had misgivings
> about the chances of success. Maybe they really expected to like it
> but got very unlucky withthe weather which too the shine off it for
> them. Maybe the reporter focussed on the more "shouty" comments.
> Maybe it was young boys showing off. Who knows?


Acksherlly .. I snipped the post a little too vigorously ..

"Now Tony is investigating whether Nathan and Aidan are the youngest
riders ever to pedal from the tip of Scotland to the Southwest of
England."

Not taking anything away from them it must have been both hard work and good
fun, but it seems to me that for them to do it, when all of them dislike
cycling in the first place, there might have been an ulterior motive.

Or am I just being too cynical ?

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."
 
in message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Acksherlly .. I snipped the post a little too vigorously ..
>
> "Now Tony is investigating whether Nathan and Aidan are the youngest
> riders ever to pedal from the tip of Scotland to the Southwest of
> England."
>
> Not taking anything away from them it must have been both hard work
> and good fun, but it seems to me that for them to do it, when all of
> them dislike cycling in the first place, there might have been an
> ulterior motive.
>
> Or am I just being too cynical ?


You're being too cynical. If that had been his motive he would have
checked before he left, and found that they weren't (by quite a
considerable margin). So he would have saved his money and time. No,
you've got to accept that they did it as a challenge, and deserve the
credit for that.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; how did we conclude that a ****ing cartoon mouse is deserving
;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14?
-- user 'Tackhead', in /. discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02
 
Simon Brooke vaguely muttered something like ...
> in message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Acksherlly .. I snipped the post a little too vigorously ..
>>
>> "Now Tony is investigating whether Nathan and Aidan are the youngest
>> riders ever to pedal from the tip of Scotland to the Southwest of
>> England."
>>
>> Not taking anything away from them it must have been both hard work
>> and good fun, but it seems to me that for them to do it, when all of
>> them dislike cycling in the first place, there might have been an
>> ulterior motive.
>>
>> Or am I just being too cynical ?

>
> You're being too cynical. If that had been his motive he would have
> checked before he left, and found that they weren't (by quite a
> considerable margin). So he would have saved his money and time. No,
> you've got to accept that they did it as a challenge, and deserve the
> credit for that.


Fair point ...

I still can't see why they, who hated cycling before starting, wanted to do
it though .. maybe just because it was there .. ;)


--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."