John Kerry's $8,000 bike

[email protected] (Fx199) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >Like I said, your confusion, not his. He was pretty clear: he does not
> >personally own an SUV but his family does.
> >

> LOL!!!!!!!

As with most of us who are married and own two or more cars, I have a
pretty clear idea which car is mine and which car is my wife's.
Sometimes I even get to drive it, but it's hers alright.

JP

> >Like I said, your confusion, not his. He was pretty clear: he does not
>> >personally own an SUV but his family does.
>> >

>> LOL!!!!!!!

>As with most of us who are married and own two or more cars, I have a
>pretty clear idea which car is mine and which car is my wife's.
>Sometimes I even get to drive it, but it's hers alright.
>
>JP

That's my wife's pot plant growing in the closet under the lights....

Bonehenge wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:19:13 -0500, James Spencer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Actually, when you think about it, considering all the benefits of
>>riding over other recreational endeavors, it is a buy.

> Try general aviation, any kind of auto racing, or even snowmobiling.
>
> You can get some terrific cycling gear for the cost of a decent year's
> worth of fuel for a hobby aircraft. Racing anything runs on money, so
> no need to stress that one.
>
> I know guys with 10-15 grand into snowmobile gear that need to drive
> three hours or more to really use it. They usually do this for a
> grand total of three weekends a year.
>
> Heck, high quality woodworking tools can make cycling seem inexpensive
> when used in a hobby setting.
>
> They all have plusses and minuses, so cost really isn't the bottom
> line.
>
> Barry

I drive a Civic Si, and CRX. The CRX took 3rd place for the San Diego
region last year in SCCA Solo II Autocross. Simple car, costs less than
$5k, stomps some big dollar muscle. Oh, did I mention it gets 30-35
around town, pulls 14.8's in the 1/4, and costs $15 to fill the tank? :)
Only drawback is that the sticky tires only last 15-20k miles, but
then again, it's $250 for 4 of them, so that's not that bad. Only
annoying thing about the car is having to wait for the SUV you pulled in
behind at the pumps to finish so you can leave. :)

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 05:14:03 GMT, Terry Rudd <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Funny, folks get all bent out of shape over an expensive bike but nobody
>>thinks a thing about paying $45-$55K for a full-sized SUV, which no one
>>"needs".

> Ahhh, some of us think expensive SUVs are nutty and offensive for most
> users.
>
> JT

There's a use for big trucks and crew cabs. Even the SUV's can be used
to pull the boat. :) Don't think I'd want one for a daily driver, but
I do want a truck for hauling/towing.

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
The problem of the RIAA and MPAA is that a six year old distributes the
music
and films better and cheaper then they do.

Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Heck, high quality woodworking tools can make cycling seem inexpensive
>> when used in a hobby setting.

I've been pricing tools and racks (bought an el-cheapo today).

You can probably outfit an entire home bicycle repair shop
for under $200.

They won't be the best tools, but they don't really need to be
for personal bike maintenance.

>> They all have plusses and minuses, so cost really isn't the bottom
>> line.

>I drive a Civic Si, and CRX. The CRX took 3rd place for the San Diego
>region last year in SCCA Solo II Autocross. Simple car, costs less than
>$5k, stomps some big dollar muscle. Oh, did I mention it gets 30-35
>around town, pulls 14.8's in the 1/4, and costs $15 to fill the tank? :)
> Only drawback is that the sticky tires only last 15-20k miles, but
>then again, it's $250 for 4 of them, so that's not that bad. Only
>annoying thing about the car is having to wait for the SUV you pulled in
>behind at the pumps to finish so you can leave. :)

And you can put it in your pocket if you're worried
about security.

--Blair
"Still can't find a decent pump."

Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been pricing tools and racks (bought an el-cheapo today).
>
> You can probably outfit an entire home bicycle repair shop
> for under $200.

A Campagnolo die will cost that (or more), mind you, just the die.
Even a cheap die will cost $50. That doesn't leave much for anything
else (like headset press, truing stand, ..).

As far as wood working, I would love to outfit my shop with Hitachi
power tools. Not sure about the big cast iron stuff (jointers,
shapers, ..).