John Schlitter WINS BAF in RECORD TIME!!!

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John from Bacchetta did
the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total time"""! That's with an average of
"""24.5 for 167 MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper that
did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

"EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<vs0hc.2064$GR.277416@attbi_s01>...
> Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
> time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
> MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
> that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never the
less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for an
event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
congratulations.

The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as if
this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in 167
miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not let
him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.

Harry Jiles

Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just couldn't believe his eyes,
that a funny looking bike was ahead of him in the first place! :) <Grin>
EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

"harryo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... It
sounds as if this was a seasoned racer so you would
> think that in 167 miles, he would have figured out his
> opponent and not let him "get away" at the finish, if he
> really could have.
>
> Harry Jiles

>I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
>over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
>the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for an
>event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
>congratulations.
>
>The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
>interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
>going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
>mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
>if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in 167
>miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not let
>him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
>
>Harry Jiles

Hi Harry

It sounded like kind of sour grapes to me, but I
could be wrong.

Since John won't defend himself, I will. I believe that
if he had another rider with him to share the work when
he broke away with about 1.5 hours to go, there never
would have been a sprint to contest!

The second place rider had another rider with him to
share the work load as they caught John during his solo
breakaway attempt.

John really was not aware of where the finish was, and
said that if he had known, the "sprint" would have
started much earlier!

Many thanks to all the Bacchetta riders that showed up
and rode this grueling event, great job to all!!

Rich Pinto
Bacchetta Bicycles

"RCPINTO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

""""I believe that if he had another rider with him to share
the work when he broke away with about 1.5 hours to go,
there never would have been a sprint to contest!"""""

The only problem with this is to find someone that can keep
up with John so they can help him :)

"EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<xKahc.175057$K91.440655@attbi_s02>...
> Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just couldn't
> believe his eyes, that a funny looking bike was ahead of
> him in the first place! :) <Grin> EZ Biker :) Pompano
> Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)
The picture showed uprights and no recumbents. I was
expecting to see John in the lead with the other bikes
trying to catch him.

John is a fit 47. I have not seen John since October. I
understand that he has lost about 25 pounds since I last saw
him ride at last years Mid West Bent Rally SPWI. I remember
the the 40 or so mile ride with a few short climbs was done
by the fastest riders with an average speed of just over 23
mph. The group which John was in with Kevin (nogoslow) was
the fastest group along with the Monkey Island crew. Now 167
miles at 24.5!!!! Twenty five pounds lost and lots of
training pays off. There is also the indication that the
DF's in the lead pack were helping each other. As I remember
John's call of the race...John lost any help at 110 miles.
So if next year there are some high racer riders that are
like John, trimmed down and trained up...be there!

Jude

Ted <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "RCPINTO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040420113402.22163.00000089@mb-
> m27.aol.com...
>
> """"I believe that if he had another rider with him to
> share the work when he broke away with about 1.5 hours
> go, there never would have been a sprint to contest!"""""
>
> The only problem with this is to find someone that can
> keep up with John
so
> they can help him :)

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just
> > couldn't believe his eyes, that a funny looking bike was
> > ahead of him in the first place! :) <Grin> EZ Biker :)
> > Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)
> The picture showed uprights and no recumbents. I was
> expecting to see John in the lead with the other bikes
> trying to catch him.

My guess is that was a stock picture or not of the
lead pack.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org

[email protected] (harryo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
> > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
> > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
> > that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
> over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
> the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for
> an event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
> congratulations.
>
> The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
> interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
> going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
> mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
> if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in
> 167 miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not
> let him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
>
> Harry Jiles

Harry,

From the 5 hour point till the End of the Race JS set the
pace and tone in the break. He pulled and got the gap from
the pack and was not given much help from the two
wheelsuckers that followed him. There was a big hill and
after john pulled them along for many miles they attacked
and tried to drop him on the climb. They got a slight gap
but John was able to real them in and I bet back to
wheelsucking and no worksharing. I also bet that the
expenditure of there attack cost them the sprint at the end.
john just had more to give at the end. Two against one on a
break and John came up a winner? Great and epic ride IMHO
and with the comments of the second place finisher the
embarasment of being beaten by a recumbent rider. Good for
them to eat that kind of crow. John's response to the attack
was "I guess that was my reward for pulling them along".
Lots of tactics going on in a race with a pack and John
played this perfect as a vet Cat 2 racer he understands the
game. John really deserves this win since he has lost a lot
of weight and has really been training hard this season.
Going to be hard to top this one anytime soon!

Kevin

Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)

Haven't had a war in a while!

Perry B

"EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
> time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
> MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
that
> did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker
> :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

Great suggestion. Take a look over there. Thread is
Recumbent wins BAF

"Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)
>
> Haven't had a war in a while!
>
> Perry B
>

> "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> > from Bacchetta
did
> > the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total time"""! That's
> > with an average of """24.5 for 167 MILES""" fokes!!!
> > Here's a link to the local newspaper
> that
> > did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ
> > Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero
> > Squadron)

"Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)
>
> Haven't had a war in a while!
>
> Perry B
>

> "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
> > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
> > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
> that
> > did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ
> > Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero
> > Squadron)

Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and on.
Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there are in
personal opinions on any of the above and the other subjects
we discuss we all share a sense of pride (and gratitude) to
one of our own for this great accomplishment? I couldn't
beat John Schlitter in a one mile race if I had a 900 yard
head start. He is a much different class of rider than I.
But that doesn't keep me from rejoicing in his
accomplishment the same way I did on the ride last Sunday
when my wife and her socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour
on a straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way
to go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

[email protected] (harryo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
> > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
> > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
> > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
> > that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
> > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
> over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
> the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for
> an event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
> congratulations.
>
> The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
> interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
> going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
> mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
> if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in
> 167 miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not
> let him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
>
> Harry Jiles

Let me get this straight. Second place says John not that
fast in a sprint, but loses final sprint to John. I guess
oxygen debt also effects brain function.

Emmett Hood

"mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
[email protected]... [...]
> Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
> chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
> meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and
> on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there
> are in personal opinions on any of the above and the other
> subjects we discuss we all share a sense of pride (and
> gratitude) to one of our own for this great
> accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a one
> mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a much
> different class of rider than I. But that doesn't keep me
> from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same way I did on
> the ride last Sunday when my wife and her socked Gold Rush
> hit 40 miles an hour on a straightaway leaving all the
> upwrongs in her dust. Way to go John. Congratulations on a
> tremendous feat.

Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all this
rot about praising someone to high heaven when all he is
doing is what he wants to do and is half-ass good at it.
Riding fast on a bicycle, even a recumbent, is not a
tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like most things
in life. Try to get some perspective. I charge "mike s" with
being a blooming idiot. Instead of praising some half-crazed
individual who rides fast on a recumbent, why doesn't he get
fast on his own bike and then have the good grace to shut up
about it. Who give's a rat's ass about being fast anyway!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 21 Apr 2004 06:20:40 -0700, [email protected] (Emmett M. Hood III)
wrote:

>Let me get this straight. Second place says John not that
>fast in a sprint, but loses final sprint to John. I guess
>oxygen debt also effects brain function.

Don't laugh - one rule of officiating bike races is that
the saddle pinches off the supply of oxygen to their
brain, and don't bother arguing with a racer right after
they get off their bike. A couple of times the bike racer
started laughing when I repeated what they said to me just
after a finish.

One of the reasons that judging a pro racer based on what he
or she says when a mike is pushed in their face at the end
of a race isn't a good basis. Asking why the two guy in a
sprint lost a classic after six hours in the saddle and a
close sprint is an invitation to have your mike fed to you
(either end) - any response less than that has to be
considered civilized.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
> [email protected]... [...]
> > Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
> > chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
> > meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and
> > on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there
> > are in personal opinions on any of the above and the
> > other subjects we discuss we all share a sense of pride
> > (and gratitude) to one of our own for this great
> > accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a one
> > mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a much
> > different class of rider than I. But that doesn't keep
> > me from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same way I
> > did on the ride last Sunday when my wife and her socked
> > Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a straightaway leaving
> > all the upwrongs in her dust. Way to go John.
> > Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
>
> Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all
> this rot about praising someone to high heaven when all he
> is doing is what he wants to do and is half-ass good at
> it. Riding fast on a bicycle, even a recumbent, is not a
> tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like most
> things in life. Try to get some perspective. I charge
> "mike s" with being a blooming idiot. Instead of praising
> some half-crazed individual who rides fast on a recumbent,
> why doesn't he get fast on his own bike and then have the
> good grace to shut up about it. Who give's a rat's ass
> about being fast anyway!

The difference between Ed and God is God doesn't think he's
Ed. And with that I back out of this discussion so future
baiting (disguised as opinion) won't work.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:50:55 -0700, mike s wrote:

<lotta snippage> But that doesn't keep me from rejoicing in
his accomplishment
> the same way I did on the ride last Sunday when my wife
> and her socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a
> straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way to
> go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
>
> Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.
Your wife hit 40 mph on the straights with her socked GRR!
Lordy, lordy
you do have me drooling now as my sock kit is due any day
now. I can't
wait to put it on my Gold Rush and, hopefully, go tearing
down the road.

David TE & soon to be socked GRR

"mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
> > [email protected]... [...]
> > > Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
> > > chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
> > > meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on
> > > and on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences
> > > there are in personal opinions on any of the above and
> > > the other subjects we discuss we all share a sense of
> > > pride (and gratitude) to one of our own for this great
> > > accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a
> > > one mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a
> > > much different class of rider than I. But that doesn't
> > > keep me from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same
> > > way I did on the ride last Sunday when my wife and her
> > > socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a
> > > straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way
> > > to go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
> >
> > Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all
> > this rot about praising someone to high heaven when all
> > he is doing is what he wants
to do
> > and is half-ass good at it. Riding fast on a bicycle,
> > even a recumbent,
is
> > not a tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like
> > most things in
life.
> > Try to get some perspective. I charge "mike s" with
> > being a blooming
idiot.
> > Instead of praising some half-crazed individual who
> > rides fast on a recumbent, why doesn't he get fast on
> > his own bike and then have the
good
> > grace to shut up about it. Who give's a rat's ass about
> > being fast
anyway!

> The difference between Ed and God is God doesn't think
> he's Ed. And with that I back out of this discussion so
> future baiting (disguised as opinion) won't work.

Isn't there another newsgroup where you guys could blather
on about how fast you are and how important races are where
you could praise and stroke one another to your heart's
content. We here on ARBR think you are slightly crazy if
truth be told and would just as soon not have to put up with
all this rot about being fast and winning races. Fab, where
are you now that you are needed here?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I should be interested to know precisely what the shape of
the recumbent market would be were it not for those
interested in going fast , both in terms of the number of
manufacturers in existence and the number of machines sold.
Because a considerable number of recumbent manufacturers, on
both sides of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, started as
racers or fast road riders...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I should be interested to know precisely what the shape of
> the recumbent market would be were it not for those
> interested in going fast , both in terms of the number of
> manufacturers in existence and the number of
machines
> sold. Because a considerable number of recumbent
> manufacturers, on both sides of the Atlantic and Pacific
> oceans, started as racers or fast road riders...

I suspect that if it were not for us older guys getting fed
up with the discomfort and wanting something less painful to
ride than uprights, there would not be any market for
recumbents at all. All this constant emphasis on speed here
on this newsgroup is highly misplaced. If you want to be
fast and can stand the pain, then an upright is where it is
at. We older guys on recumbents don't mind being faster, but
our number one priority is to be able to ride a bike that is
comfy for more than half an hour. Take us out of the
equation and there would be no market at all for recumbents.
Surely all recumbent shop dealers must know this.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota