John Schlitter WINS BAF in RECORD TIME!!!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ez Biker :-\), Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John from Bacchetta did
    the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total time"""! That's with an average of
    """24.5 for 167 MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper that
    did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

    Tags:

  2. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s01>...
    > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
    > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
    > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
    > that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
    over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never the
    less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for an
    event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
    congratulations.

    The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
    interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
    going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
    mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as if
    this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in 167
    miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not let
    him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.

    Harry Jiles

  3. Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just couldn't believe his eyes,
    that a funny looking bike was ahead of him in the first place! :) <Grin>
    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

    "harryo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... It
    sounds as if this was a seasoned racer so you would
    > think that in 167 miles, he would have figured out his
    > opponent and not let him "get away" at the finish, if he
    > really could have.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

  4. Rcpinto

    Rcpinto Guest

    >I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
    >over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
    >the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for an
    >event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
    >congratulations.
    >
    >The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
    >interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
    >going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
    >mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
    >if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in 167
    >miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not let
    >him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
    >
    >Harry Jiles

    Hi Harry

    It sounded like kind of sour grapes to me, but I
    could be wrong.

    Since John won't defend himself, I will. I believe that
    if he had another rider with him to share the work when
    he broke away with about 1.5 hours to go, there never
    would have been a sprint to contest!

    The second place rider had another rider with him to
    share the work load as they caught John during his solo
    breakaway attempt.

    John really was not aware of where the finish was, and
    said that if he had known, the "sprint" would have
    started much earlier!

    Many thanks to all the Bacchetta riders that showed up
    and rode this grueling event, great job to all!!

    Rich Pinto
    Bacchetta Bicycles

  5. Ted

    Ted Guest

    "RCPINTO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    """"I believe that if he had another rider with him to share
    the work when he broke away with about 1.5 hours to go,
    there never would have been a sprint to contest!"""""

    The only problem with this is to find someone that can keep
    up with John so they can help him :)

  6. "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...
    > Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just couldn't
    > believe his eyes, that a funny looking bike was ahead of
    > him in the first place! :) <Grin> EZ Biker :) Pompano
    > Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)
    The picture showed uprights and no recumbents. I was
    expecting to see John in the lead with the other bikes
    trying to catch him.

  7. Wheel Dr

    Wheel Dr Guest

    John is a fit 47. I have not seen John since October. I
    understand that he has lost about 25 pounds since I last saw
    him ride at last years Mid West Bent Rally SPWI. I remember
    the the 40 or so mile ride with a few short climbs was done
    by the fastest riders with an average speed of just over 23
    mph. The group which John was in with Kevin (nogoslow) was
    the fastest group along with the Monkey Island crew. Now 167
    miles at 24.5!!!! Twenty five pounds lost and lots of
    training pays off. There is also the indication that the
    DF's in the lead pack were helping each other. As I remember
    John's call of the race...John lost any help at 110 miles.
    So if next year there are some high racer riders that are
    like John, trimmed down and trained up...be there!

    Jude

    Ted <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "RCPINTO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m27.aol.com...
    >
    > """"I believe that if he had another rider with him to
    > share the work when he broke away with about 1.5 hours
    > go, there never would have been a sprint to contest!"""""
    >
    > The only problem with this is to find someone that can
    > keep up with John
    so
    > they can help him :)

  8. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]_s02>...
    > > Good points Harry. Maybe the seasoned racer just
    > > couldn't believe his eyes, that a funny looking bike was
    > > ahead of him in the first place! :) <Grin> EZ Biker :)
    > > Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)
    > The picture showed uprights and no recumbents. I was
    > expecting to see John in the lead with the other bikes
    > trying to catch him.

    My guess is that was a stock picture or not of the
    lead pack.

    --

    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org

  9. Nogoslow

    Nogoslow Guest

    [email protected] (harryo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]_s01>...
    > > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
    > > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
    > > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
    > > that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
    > over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
    > the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for
    > an event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
    > congratulations.
    >
    > The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
    > interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
    > going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
    > mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
    > if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in
    > 167 miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not
    > let him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

    Harry,

    From the 5 hour point till the End of the Race JS set the
    pace and tone in the break. He pulled and got the gap from
    the pack and was not given much help from the two
    wheelsuckers that followed him. There was a big hill and
    after john pulled them along for many miles they attacked
    and tried to drop him on the climb. They got a slight gap
    but John was able to real them in and I bet back to
    wheelsucking and no worksharing. I also bet that the
    expenditure of there attack cost them the sprint at the end.
    john just had more to give at the end. Two against one on a
    break and John came up a winner? Great and epic ride IMHO
    and with the comments of the second place finisher the
    embarasment of being beaten by a recumbent rider. Good for
    them to eat that kind of crow. John's response to the attack
    was "I guess that was my reward for pulling them along".
    Lots of tactics going on in a race with a pack and John
    played this perfect as a vet Cat 2 racer he understands the
    game. John really deserves this win since he has lost a lot
    of weight and has really been training hard this season.
    Going to be hard to top this one anytime soon!

    Kevin

  10. Perry Butler

    Perry Butler Guest

    Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)

    Haven't had a war in a while!

    Perry B

    "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s01...
    > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
    > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
    > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
    that
    > did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker
    > :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero Squadron)

  11. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Great suggestion. Take a look over there. Thread is
    Recumbent wins BAF

    "Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)
    >
    > Haven't had a war in a while!
    >
    > Perry B
    >

    > "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s01...
    > > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > > from Bacchetta
    did
    > > the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total time"""! That's
    > > with an average of """24.5 for 167 MILES""" fokes!!!
    > > Here's a link to the local newspaper
    > that
    > > did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ
    > > Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero
    > > Squadron)

  12. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Shouldn't this be crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing? ;-)
    >
    > Haven't had a war in a while!
    >
    > Perry B
    >

    > "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s01...
    > > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
    > > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
    > > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
    > that
    > > did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ
    > > Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (KILLER B Pilot / Aero
    > > Squadron)

    Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
    chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
    meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and on.
    Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there are in
    personal opinions on any of the above and the other subjects
    we discuss we all share a sense of pride (and gratitude) to
    one of our own for this great accomplishment? I couldn't
    beat John Schlitter in a one mile race if I had a 900 yard
    head start. He is a much different class of rider than I.
    But that doesn't keep me from rejoicing in his
    accomplishment the same way I did on the ride last Sunday
    when my wife and her socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour
    on a straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way
    to go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  13. [email protected] (harryo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]_s01>...
    > > Yep, a recumbo WON the race RUNNING away! Good ole John
    > > from Bacchetta did the """167 miles""" in """6:49 total
    > > time"""! That's with an average of """24.5 for 167
    > > MILES""" fokes!!! Here's a link to the local newspaper
    > > that did a story on the event. http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > > CONGRATULATIONS JOHN of Bacchetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I wouldn't exactly say that winning by less than a second,
    > over the ewcond place finisher, is "RUNNING away". Never
    > the less, John's time is quite impessive, especially for
    > an event of that distance and I, too, offer my hearty
    > congratulations.
    >
    > The quote from the second place finisher is kind of
    > interesting. He states that he didn't think John was "fast
    > going up hills or in a sprint" but then admits he made a
    > mistake by letting John "get away" from him. It sounds as
    > if this was a seasoned racer so you would think that in
    > 167 miles, he would have figured out his opponent and not
    > let him "get away" at the finish, if he really could have.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

    Let me get this straight. Second place says John not that
    fast in a sprint, but loses final sprint to John. I guess
    oxygen debt also effects brain function.

    Emmett Hood

  14. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
    [email protected] [...]
    > Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
    > chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
    > meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and
    > on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there
    > are in personal opinions on any of the above and the other
    > subjects we discuss we all share a sense of pride (and
    > gratitude) to one of our own for this great
    > accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a one
    > mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a much
    > different class of rider than I. But that doesn't keep me
    > from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same way I did on
    > the ride last Sunday when my wife and her socked Gold Rush
    > hit 40 miles an hour on a straightaway leaving all the
    > upwrongs in her dust. Way to go John. Congratulations on a
    > tremendous feat.

    Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all this
    rot about praising someone to high heaven when all he is
    doing is what he wants to do and is half-ass good at it.
    Riding fast on a bicycle, even a recumbent, is not a
    tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like most things
    in life. Try to get some perspective. I charge "mike s" with
    being a blooming idiot. Instead of praising some half-crazed
    individual who rides fast on a recumbent, why doesn't he get
    fast on his own bike and then have the good grace to shut up
    about it. Who give's a rat's ass about being fast anyway!

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  15. On 21 Apr 2004 06:20:40 -0700, [email protected] (Emmett M. Hood III)
    wrote:

    >Let me get this straight. Second place says John not that
    >fast in a sprint, but loses final sprint to John. I guess
    >oxygen debt also effects brain function.

    Don't laugh - one rule of officiating bike races is that
    the saddle pinches off the supply of oxygen to their
    brain, and don't bother arguing with a racer right after
    they get off their bike. A couple of times the bike racer
    started laughing when I repeated what they said to me just
    after a finish.

    One of the reasons that judging a pro racer based on what he
    or she says when a mike is pushed in their face at the end
    of a race isn't a good basis. Asking why the two guy in a
    sprint lost a classic after six hours in the saddle and a
    close sprint is an invitation to have your mike fed to you
    (either end) - any response less than that has to be
    considered civilized.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

  16. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
    > [email protected] [...]
    > > Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
    > > chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
    > > meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on and
    > > on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences there
    > > are in personal opinions on any of the above and the
    > > other subjects we discuss we all share a sense of pride
    > > (and gratitude) to one of our own for this great
    > > accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a one
    > > mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a much
    > > different class of rider than I. But that doesn't keep
    > > me from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same way I
    > > did on the ride last Sunday when my wife and her socked
    > > Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a straightaway leaving
    > > all the upwrongs in her dust. Way to go John.
    > > Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
    >
    > Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all
    > this rot about praising someone to high heaven when all he
    > is doing is what he wants to do and is half-ass good at
    > it. Riding fast on a bicycle, even a recumbent, is not a
    > tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like most
    > things in life. Try to get some perspective. I charge
    > "mike s" with being a blooming idiot. Instead of praising
    > some half-crazed individual who rides fast on a recumbent,
    > why doesn't he get fast on his own bike and then have the
    > good grace to shut up about it. Who give's a rat's ass
    > about being fast anyway!

    The difference between Ed and God is God doesn't think he's
    Ed. And with that I back out of this discussion so future
    baiting (disguised as opinion) won't work.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  17. David

    David Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:50:55 -0700, mike s wrote:

    <lotta snippage> But that doesn't keep me from rejoicing in
    his accomplishment
    > the same way I did on the ride last Sunday when my wife
    > and her socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a
    > straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way to
    > go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
    >
    > Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.
    Your wife hit 40 mph on the straights with her socked GRR!
    Lordy, lordy
    you do have me drooling now as my sock kit is due any day
    now. I can't
    wait to put it on my Gold Rush and, hopefully, go tearing
    down the road.

    David TE & soon to be socked GRR

  18. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8-
    > > [email protected] [...]
    > > > Highracers/lowracers, big wheels/small wheels,
    > > > chromolly/titanium/aluminum, Bacchetta/Volae, OSS/USS,
    > > > meshseat/hardshell, dealers/mailorder, and on and on
    > > > and on. Isn't it nice that no matter what differences
    > > > there are in personal opinions on any of the above and
    > > > the other subjects we discuss we all share a sense of
    > > > pride (and gratitude) to one of our own for this great
    > > > accomplishment? I couldn't beat John Schlitter in a
    > > > one mile race if I had a 900 yard head start. He is a
    > > > much different class of rider than I. But that doesn't
    > > > keep me from rejoicing in his accomplishment the same
    > > > way I did on the ride last Sunday when my wife and her
    > > > socked Gold Rush hit 40 miles an hour on a
    > > > straightaway leaving all the upwrongs in her dust. Way
    > > > to go John. Congratulations on a tremendous feat.
    > >
    > > Good Grief! I think I am going to throw up! What is all
    > > this rot about praising someone to high heaven when all
    > > he is doing is what he wants
    to do
    > > and is half-ass good at it. Riding fast on a bicycle,
    > > even a recumbent,
    is
    > > not a tremendous achievement. It is merely so-so like
    > > most things in
    life.
    > > Try to get some perspective. I charge "mike s" with
    > > being a blooming
    idiot.
    > > Instead of praising some half-crazed individual who
    > > rides fast on a recumbent, why doesn't he get fast on
    > > his own bike and then have the
    good
    > > grace to shut up about it. Who give's a rat's ass about
    > > being fast
    anyway!

    > The difference between Ed and God is God doesn't think
    > he's Ed. And with that I back out of this discussion so
    > future baiting (disguised as opinion) won't work.

    Isn't there another newsgroup where you guys could blather
    on about how fast you are and how important races are where
    you could praise and stroke one another to your heart's
    content. We here on ARBR think you are slightly crazy if
    truth be told and would just as soon not have to put up with
    all this rot about being fast and winning races. Fab, where
    are you now that you are needed here?

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  19. I should be interested to know precisely what the shape of
    the recumbent market would be were it not for those
    interested in going fast , both in terms of the number of
    manufacturers in existence and the number of machines sold.
    Because a considerable number of recumbent manufacturers, on
    both sides of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, started as
    racers or fast road riders...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  20. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > I should be interested to know precisely what the shape of
    > the recumbent market would be were it not for those
    > interested in going fast , both in terms of the number of
    > manufacturers in existence and the number of
    machines
    > sold. Because a considerable number of recumbent
    > manufacturers, on both sides of the Atlantic and Pacific
    > oceans, started as racers or fast road riders...

    I suspect that if it were not for us older guys getting fed
    up with the discomfort and wanting something less painful to
    ride than uprights, there would not be any market for
    recumbents at all. All this constant emphasis on speed here
    on this newsgroup is highly misplaced. If you want to be
    fast and can stand the pain, then an upright is where it is
    at. We older guys on recumbents don't mind being faster, but
    our number one priority is to be able to ride a bike that is
    comfy for more than half an hour. Take us out of the
    equation and there would be no market at all for recumbents.
    Surely all recumbent shop dealers must know this.

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota