Johnny NoCom or Osama? Time to vote!

"Kurt Fischer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> Meanwhile they seem to get along quite well. On this picture you see Ed
> Gin together with Bacchetta's RP and JS and some other monkeys.
> (Note for Ed D.: There are even some women to see) ;-)
>
> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/March04SpringClassicRide.htm
>
> Kurt

Kurt, it looks like the usual motley group that will show up for a ride in
March. The thing that strikes me about the picture is the very few Easy
Racers present - looks like only two. Very unusual. Also, very many short
wheel base bikes which again strikes me as unusual. They must have a special
recumbent bike culture there in Chicagoland.

Doing group bike rides is an ideal pastime for women to be engaged in. They
will be safe and protected riding with a group of mostly men who will look
out for them. I do not like to see a lone woman touring by herself in the
countryside. Way too dangerous.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Kurt Fischer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> Is Mr. Ball allowing posters to his forum (BROL) to run down ARBR? How
>> low
>> can you get?

> Bryan gives the members a very long leash - as long as it doesn't come
> to politics or personal insults. On the other hand, people prefering a
> moderated forum probably are not looking for confrontation and quarrel
> in the first line.
>
> There are several posters going both ways, ARBR and BROL, myself
> included. Each has its pros and cons, I wouldn't want to give up any of
> them.

Kurt, I am essentially a kibitzer and a gadfly. I would not fit in at all on
BROL because I am constantly looking for argument and contention. There is
almost nothing I want to know about recumbents as I consider I already know
everything I will ever want to know about the subject. But I am that way
about most subjects. I will reach a plateau of knowledge and then it is to
heck with it.

I am on the prowl for only two things: incredibly stupid statements which
pass all bounds of reason and perfectly normal statements which I feel can
be reexamined with a view to getting another perspective. BROL would have no
more use for me than I would for it.

Usenet is a miracle as long as we don't expect anything of it. It is here
for our entertainment solely. ARBR is exactly my cup of tea. There are
enough fools and idiots here to amuse me, seemingly forever. When I want to
be bored I turn on the TV and it never disappoints me in that respect. The
main thing is not to let the pontificators and the very serious types spoil
Usenet for us buffoons who like to have some fun with it. That is why I
consider Jon Meinecke much more of a threat to Usenet than types like Johnny
NoCom or myself.

I miss Leonard L.Love. That guy was like a bull dog in an argument. He just
about drove Larry Varney crazy about the price of a recumbent that cost
$3,000. and was not even worth half that. I never laughed so hard in my
life. Surely, that is what ARBR is all about, is it not?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Kurt Fischer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > I will race anyone if I get a NoCom and they have to ride a Pashley
>> > Classic 33 [1] towing this cargo trailer [2], both loaded with sand
>> > ballast. ;)

>> I might be interested in promoting such a race if the Pashley rider could
>> have the semi faired courier version of that bike and a loose trailer
>> hitch.

> Or if the course leads downhill. But in this case you needed a kamikaze
> pilot for the Pashley, which will be hard to find. ;-)
>
> Kurt

Unfortunately they aren't that hard to find. Just promise that after the
ride they get to be in a garden paradise with 72 virgins forever. Uh
Oh....I shouldn't have said that - it's politically incorrect and it upsets
Tom.

skip

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I miss Leonard L.Love....

Who?

Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?

--
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Doing group bike rides is an ideal pastime for women to be engaged in. They
> will be safe and protected riding with a group of mostly men who will look
> out for them. I do not like to see a lone woman touring by herself in the
> countryside. Way too dangerous.

The Monkey Sisters (Barb and Wendy) would drop Ed Dolan like a rock on a
group ride.

--
Tom Sherman

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

>> I miss Leonard L.Love....

> Who?
>
> Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the "loaded"
model now costs $4000.

Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to unload
plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.

It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.

skip

skip wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:

>>>I miss Leonard L.Love....

>>Who?
>>
>>Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman

> By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the "loaded"
> model now costs $4000.
>
> Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to unload
> plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.
>
> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>
> skip

Nah, I don't need another 2-wheeler. And as for Lorenzo and Dolan and their
insistence that things have value based on just two criteria: weight and price
- does anyone other than those two have such a simple approach to value? I
don't, and it drove those two nuts.
When it comes to bikes and trikes, something would have to be awful special
for me to spend $4000 for it. I don't care if it's a BiGHA or a TiRush, when
the price starts nudging past $2500, I have to stop and think about it. And
when it goes past $3000, I think even harder.
And at no time do I just say: put that sucker on a scale, and if the
weight/price ratio is such-and-such, that's all I need to know.
But Lorenzo and Dolan? That's all they care about. And, they insist that
you care about nothing else, either, and will demand that you pass judgement on
something, sight unseen, on just those two criteria.
Incredible? Yes. Simple-minded? You bet. Around-the-bend stupid? You got it.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Edward Dolan wrote:

> >> I miss Leonard L.Love....

> > Who?
> >
> > Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?
> >
> > --
> > Tom Sherman

> By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the

"loaded"
> model now costs $4000.
>
> Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to unload
> plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.

Naaaa Larry is too busy saving up for a BigHa

> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>
> skip

A Lorenzo vs Johnny NoComm vs Ed Dolan would be interesting

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nah, I don't need another 2-wheeler. And as for Lorenzo and Dolan and

their
> insistence that things have value based on just two criteria: weight and

price
> - does anyone other than those two have such a simple approach to value? I
> don't, and it drove those two nuts.
> When it comes to bikes and trikes, something would have to be awful

special
> for me to spend $4000 for it. I don't care if it's a BiGHA or a TiRush,

when
> the price starts nudging past $2500, I have to stop and think about it.

And
> when it goes past $3000, I think even harder.
> And at no time do I just say: put that sucker on a scale, and if the
> weight/price ratio is such-and-such, that's all I need to know.

So do I but in the end we will both buy whatever it is if we think it has
value to us regardless of weight, I never cared what my Vision R50 or Baron
weight I liked the way they rode

> But Lorenzo and Dolan? That's all they care about. And, they insist

that
> you care about nothing else, either, and will demand that you pass

judgement on
> something, sight unseen, on just those two criteria.
> Incredible? Yes. Simple-minded? You bet. Around-the-bend stupid? You

got it.

You read both of them wrong, I seriously doubt Ed has or had a recumbent and
just likes the company of people in this newsgroup, Lorenzo hates BikeE and
anyone who used to work for them who are now with BigHa, it has nothing to
do with the bike itself but the company.

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Who?
>> >
>> > Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tom Sherman

>> By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the

> "loaded"
>> model now costs $4000.
>>
>> Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to
>> unload
>> plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.

> Naaaa Larry is too busy saving up for a BigHa
>

>> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>>
>> skip

> A Lorenzo vs Johnny NoComm vs Ed Dolan would be interesting

How about this - a loser leave the newsgroup tag team match with Ed D and
Lorenzo vs. the NoCom Brothers, Ed and Johnny.

skip

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip wrote:

[...]
>> By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the
>> "loaded" model now costs $4000.
>>
>> Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to
>> unload plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.
>>
>> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>>
>> skip
>>

> Nah, I don't need another 2-wheeler. And as for Lorenzo and Dolan and
> their insistence that things have value based on just two criteria: weight
> and price - does anyone other than those two have such a simple approach
> to value? I don't, and it drove those two nuts.
> When it comes to bikes and trikes, something would have to be awful
> special for me to spend $4000 for it. I don't care if it's a BiGHA or a
> TiRush, when the price starts nudging past $2500, I have to stop and think
> about it. And when it goes past $3000, I think even harder.
> And at no time do I just say: put that sucker on a scale, and if the
> weight/price ratio is such-and-such, that's all I need to know.
> But Lorenzo and Dolan? That's all they care about. And, they insist
> that you care about nothing else, either, and will demand that you pass
> judgement on something, sight unseen, on just those two criteria.
> Incredible? Yes. Simple-minded? You bet. Around-the-bend stupid? You got
> it.

Here is old Larry Varney, the man who looks like Santa Claus year around,
going back to the origins of it all. The very first thing you have got to
know about a bike is it's weight and how that relates to it's price. If
those two factors are too out of balance, then you never have to look any
further. This is so elementary ... but Lorenzo said it all better than
anyone else on this newsgroup could ever say it. Varney will go to his grave
believing that there are other factors that are even more important then
weight and price. All I ever want in life is to be spared the complexity of
mind of a Larry Varney who cannot add 2 and 2 and get 4.

By the way, when the price of a recumbent goes over $1000. I look damn close
at it - for sure!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

>> I miss Leonard L.Love....

> Who?
>
> Is he any relation to Lorenzo L. Love?

Damn! I was so intent on getting the middle initial right that I got the
first name wrong. But that is the advantage nevertheless of using a real
name and not a moniker. I will always get part of the name right, whereas I
cannot remember monikers.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]
> You read both of them wrong, I seriously doubt Ed has or had a recumbent
> and
> just likes the company of people in this newsgroup, Lorenzo hates BikeE
> and
> anyone who used to work for them who are now with BigHa, it has nothing to
> do with the bike itself but the company.

I have got at least 15 recumbents for sure, maybe more. They are scattered
all over the house and it is now too cold to go into various rooms of my
house to count them. Now you see what is possible when you do not marry and
do not have any children and do not buy houses and new cars. However, Mark
is right about me liking the guys on this group. Everyone should know that
by now or else why would I be here.

But my God! Do I detect a period at the end of your sentence in your above
paragraph? Also, I note a very good use of commas too. So progress is being
made.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[...]
>> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>>
>> skip

> A Lorenzo vs Johnny NoComm vs Ed Dolan would be interesting

Mark is a sadist at heart. If such should ever come to past, it would be the
end of ARBR. I would of course go into orbit and lawyers and even hit men
might become involved. No, it is far better to let sleeping dogs lie. After
all, what is the subject here if not recumbent cycling.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[...]
>>> It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>>>
>>> skip

>> A Lorenzo vs Johnny NoComm vs Ed Dolan would be interesting
>>

> How about this - a loser leave the newsgroup tag team match with Ed D and
> Lorenzo vs. the NoCom Brothers, Ed and Johnny.
>
> skip

Two Ed's in the same ring would create too much confusion.

What is interesting is that although all the aforementioned are very
contentious individuals, we are contentious in different ways. If we were
ever to confront one another directly it would be like a nuclear explosion.
That is why I appreciate Mr. Sherman. We can disagree with one another and
he becomes a yin to my yang. We only explode over a very few topics.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

>> Doing group bike rides is an ideal pastime for women to be engaged in.
>> They will be safe and protected riding with a group of mostly men who
>> will look out for them. I do not like to see a lone woman touring by
>> herself in the countryside. Way too dangerous.

> The Monkey Sisters (Barb and Wendy) would drop Ed Dolan like a rock on a
> group ride.

Well, that is not exactly the kind of danger I was thinking of.

There was a gal in her middle 30's from Minneapolis who was doing a bike
tour of Iowa all on her own. When she stopped in Worthington I ran into her.
She was dressed in a rather skimpy outfit and I told her in no uncertain
words that it was not a good idea for a gal to be cycling alone around Iowa
dressed like that. Why did I tell her this? Because I know these good old
Iowa boys who exist in this part of the country. She seemed intelligent, but
was oblivious to the danger.

I rode with her quite a ways into the countryside as her dragoon, but I
feared for her safety when she left me. This is just another very main
reason why I don't think women understand men at all. They are living in a
fantasy world. Thus spake Zarathustra.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:

>>>Doing group bike rides is an ideal pastime for women to be engaged in.
>>>They will be safe and protected riding with a group of mostly men who
>>>will look out for them. I do not like to see a lone woman touring by
>>>herself in the countryside. Way too dangerous.

>>The Monkey Sisters (Barb and Wendy) would drop Ed Dolan like a rock on a
>>group ride.

> Well, that is not exactly the kind of danger I was thinking of.
>
> There was a gal in her middle 30's from Minneapolis who was doing a bike
> tour of Iowa all on her own. When she stopped in Worthington I ran into her....

Obviously she had navigation problems, if she was touring Iowa and ended
up in Worthington.

If I were touring Iowa on a bicycle, I would stay in the NE portion of
the state.

--
Tom Sherman

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>The Monkey Sisters (Barb and Wendy) would drop Ed Dolan like a rock on a
>>>group ride.

>> Well, that is not exactly the kind of danger I was thinking of.
>>
>> There was a gal in her middle 30's from Minneapolis who was doing a bike
>> tour of Iowa all on her own. When she stopped in Worthington I ran into
>> her....

> Obviously she had navigation problems, if she was touring Iowa and ended
> up in Worthington.

No, she was coming down from Minneapolis on her way to the great State of
Iowa. Back to Geography 101 for you!

> If I were touring Iowa on a bicycle, I would stay in the NE portion of the
> state.

No again! The NE portion of Iowa is way too hilly. It falls into the
Driftless Area, the same as SE Minnesota and SW Wisconsin.That is precisely
the area you want to stay away from, even though those are precisely the
areas that have all the great scenery. All sane cyclists hate hills, most
especially sane recumbent cyclists since recumbents are notoriously the pits
in the hills.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Nah, I don't need another 2-wheeler. And as for Lorenzo and Dolan and

> their
>
>>insistence that things have value based on just two criteria: weight and

> price
>
>>- does anyone other than those two have such a simple approach to value? I
>>don't, and it drove those two nuts.
>> When it comes to bikes and trikes, something would have to be awful

> special
>
>>for me to spend $4000 for it. I don't care if it's a BiGHA or a TiRush,

> when
>
>>the price starts nudging past $2500, I have to stop and think about it.

> And
>
>>when it goes past $3000, I think even harder.
>> And at no time do I just say: put that sucker on a scale, and if the
>>weight/price ratio is such-and-such, that's all I need to know.

> So do I but in the end we will both buy whatever it is if we think it has
> value to us regardless of weight, I never cared what my Vision R50 or Baron
> weight I liked the way they rode

Exactly! "Value" is a relative thing, and it's ultimately decided by the
individual, with criteria weighted by that individual. L&D never could grasp
that concept, and eventually I gave up trying to explain it to them.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>skip wrote:

> [...]
>
>>>By the way the basic price of the ***ha has increased $400 and the
>>>"loaded" model now costs $4000.
>>>
>>>Wonder if Larry would be willing to trade that trike he's trying to
>>>unload plus a bit of cash for a ***ha? Maybe Lorenzo could inquire.
>>>
>>>It's about time to have a new Lorenzo and Larry Show.
>>>
>>>skip
>>>

>> Nah, I don't need another 2-wheeler. And as for Lorenzo and Dolan and
>>their insistence that things have value based on just two criteria: weight
>>and price - does anyone other than those two have such a simple approach
>>to value? I don't, and it drove those two nuts.
>> When it comes to bikes and trikes, something would have to be awful
>>special for me to spend $4000 for it. I don't care if it's a BiGHA or a
>>TiRush, when the price starts nudging past $2500, I have to stop and think
>>about it. And when it goes past $3000, I think even harder.
>> And at no time do I just say: put that sucker on a scale, and if the
>>weight/price ratio is such-and-such, that's all I need to know.
>> But Lorenzo and Dolan? That's all they care about. And, they insist
>>that you care about nothing else, either, and will demand that you pass
>>judgement on something, sight unseen, on just those two criteria.
>> Incredible? Yes. Simple-minded? You bet. Around-the-bend stupid? You got
>>it.

> Here is old Larry Varney, the man who looks like Santa Claus year around,
> going back to the origins of it all. The very first thing you have got to
> know about a bike is it's weight and how that relates to it's price. If
> those two factors are too out of balance, then you never have to look any
> further. This is so elementary ... but Lorenzo said it all better than
> anyone else on this newsgroup could ever say it. Varney will go to his grave
> believing that there are other factors that are even more important then
> weight and price. All I ever want in life is to be spared the complexity of
> mind of a Larry Varney who cannot add 2 and 2 and get 4.
>
> By the way, when the price of a recumbent goes over $1000. I look damn close
> at it - for sure!

Trouble is, Dolan, there *are* more than two factors, and it's up to the
individual to determine whether or not those other factors are more important
than either weight or price. Sure, you can come up with your value judgement,
based solely on this "weight and how that relates to it's price"; that's your
decision. But that very decision is a personal one, one that we all have to make.
But you are right: it is so elementary, which makes it all the more
confusing as to why you and Lorenzo never could grasp it.