Jon Dechau hit and killed

Just got this for a friend:

For those of you that have raced, ridden or simply know Jon Dechau,
from Rochester..... It is with regret that pass on this news. Jon was
hit by a car and killed last evening near routes 5&20 in Rochester,
leaving behind a wife and family. Details are still pretty limited at
this point. Regardless, Jon was an all around good guy and to make
matters worse, a brand new father. In addition, Jon was a cat 1 rider
who raced in the community and throughout the state for more than 20
years, so I am sure there is plenty of people out there that would like
to pay their respects. I'm sure there will be plans to support his
family in some way or another and will pass on the information as soon
as I am aware.

Paul K.

Please post any updates regarding his family--I've known Jon since he
was a junior.

Don

[email protected] wrote:
> Just got this for a friend:
>
> For those of you that have raced, ridden or simply know Jon Dechau,
> from Rochester..... It is with regret that pass on this news. Jon was
> hit by a car and killed last evening near routes 5&20 in Rochester,
> leaving behind a wife and family. Details are still pretty limited at
> this point. Regardless, Jon was an all around good guy and to make
> matters worse, a brand new father. In addition, Jon was a cat 1 rider
> who raced in the community and throughout the state for more than 20
> years, so I am sure there is plenty of people out there that would like
> to pay their respects. I'm sure there will be plans to support his
> family in some way or another and will pass on the information as soon
> as I am aware.
>
> Paul K.

A teammate of mine, John Peckham, was run down by a drunk, with reportedly some
metha-amphetamines to liven the brew, on a quiet road at the Palo Alto/Los Altos
Hills border, last Friday. I was just at his wake yesterday. Making eye
contact with his mother was not easy.

http://www.altovelo.org/

The continuing carnage leaves deep scars.

Dan

> Please post any updates regarding his family--I've known Jon since he
> was a junior.
>
> Don

-------------------
did you see the "last evening" part? I live in the warm part of the
country, so this is easy for me, but I never ride in the "evening." Drunks,
tired people, poor visibility, high traffic volume, I've tried it and don't
like it. This isn't practical for most people, but I do all my riding at 5
am. You can get wiped out at anytime, anyplace, but I always thought early
morning you had better odds. I do brevets, which force me to ride on a
Saturday night, and you do see some interesting driving, but normally I
would never ride at that time. We'll see, when the details are revealed
about this trajedy.

-------------------
> > Just got this for a friend:
> >
> > For those of you that have raced, ridden or simply know Jon Dechau,
> > from Rochester..... It is with regret that pass on this news. Jon was
> > hit by a car and killed last evening near routes 5&20 in Rochester,
> > leaving behind a wife and family. Details are still pretty limited at
> > this point. Regardless, Jon was an all around good guy and to make
> > matters worse, a brand new father. In addition, Jon was a cat 1 rider
> > who raced in the community and throughout the state for more than 20
> > years, so I am sure there is plenty of people out there that would like
> > to pay their respects. I'm sure there will be plans to support his
> > family in some way or another and will pass on the information as soon
> > as I am aware.
> >
> > Paul K.

On 14 Sep 2006 05:51:22 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just got this for a friend:
>
>For those of you that have raced, ridden or simply know Jon Dechau,
>from Rochester..... It is with regret that pass on this news. Jon was
>hit by a car and killed last evening near routes 5&20 in Rochester,
>leaving behind a wife and family. Details are still pretty limited at
>this point. Regardless, Jon was an all around good guy and to make
>matters worse, a brand new father. In addition, Jon was a cat 1 rider
>who raced in the community and throughout the state for more than 20
>years, so I am sure there is plenty of people out there that would like
>to pay their respects. I'm sure there will be plans to support his
>family in some way or another and will pass on the information as soon
>as I am aware.

Sad. He was a good guy.

Here's a picture of him after he won a points race our club put on.
http://www.jt10000.com/team/tgal/orc99jd.htm

He was pretty gung-ho. I'd been following him into a corner and we
were going way to fast for me, so I touched the brakes, then cursed
myself, thinking I was a wuss while Dechau opened the gap. But then
he slid out!

He got back in the race and won.

Another pic
http://www.jt10000.com/team/tgal/mengoni99jd.htm

--
JT
****************************

Very sad news. I raced with Jon back in the late 80's and early 90's while a member of GVCC. I never knew him very well, but I know he was a very good sport and good guy. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

That's too bad, my condolences to the family. It is tough when a fellow
rider falls victim to an auto accident.
But I'm keep saying this till I'm blue in the face "whenever an accident
occurs, the victims family needs to use
the power of subpoena to obtain the cell phone records of the driver." I
mean this - I keep a paper in my wallet if I am killed in an
accident, "subpoena the cell phone records of the driver." I am not an
advocate of the cell phone, yeah they come in good use, but Americans
abuse the right. And they take lives as a result of their abuse, where
are the rights of the cyclist?
Cell phones affected my ability to go out and enjoy a bike ride, but also
I realize that if one believes that one will get hit...they most likely
will because they pull that negative energy to them. It's contradictory I
know as some state's have law against cell phone usage. Personally, I get
the feeling the majority of accidents are cause by inattentive
driver is using their cell phones...guess who is the victim...the rider
who give 100% of their attention on the road yet the driver walks. I hope
Arnold Schwarzenegger (California) passes the no hands cell phone rule
only then the cyclist can really feel safe from these accident-prone cell
phone users. One last thought - I often wonder why does (God) or whatever
higher power takes away people whose has not lived out full lives. Why?

"TwistyCreek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Stuff cut....

> driver is using their cell phones...guess who is the victim...the rider
> who give 100% of their attention on the road yet the driver walks. I hope
> Arnold Schwarzenegger (California) passes the no hands cell phone rule
> only then the cyclist can really feel safe from these accident-prone cell
> phone users. One last thought - I often wonder why does (God) or whatever
> higher power takes away people whose has not lived out full lives. Why?

The No Hands Cell Phone Rule is a big mistake. It does not eliminate driving
while distracted by cell phone conversations BUT it does eliminate an
important visual clue that many drivers, motorcyclists, and cyclists use to
expect inattentive driving when you spot someone using their phone. This
rule is completely wrong! Hands-free cell phone use should be banned if
phone use is permitted at all while driving.

jb

I haven't gotten the article yet, but a friend said that the local
paper indicated that Jon was riding well wide of the white line on a
wide shoulder when a 60+ year old woman swerved for no apparent reason
and hit him. He apparently had no idea.

I was really sad to hear about this. I can't say I was 'friends' with
Jon, but I knew him forever (15 years), so he was a familiar
acquaintance. I wondered how long it would be before I knew someone
who was hit and killed. I honestly feel safe riding in NY, much safer
than Cape Cod, where every ride involves at least one incident or close
call. But I routinely drive behind people who are swerving or veering,
or just driving on the shoulder and I wonder/worry, "What if I were
riding now, would they notice me..." I've been hit twice...sure as
hell am not looking forward to the 'third strike'.

If I hear anything more, I'll post it.

CH

fyi. Here is memorial fund information:

They have set up a memorial fund, with a focus of setting aside
some college funds for the children. The information follows:

Payable to: Lilian Dechau

mail to:
Livonia Community Church,
9 High Street