Jonathan Page

Joe King

Guest
The cyclingnews.com live report of the US Cyclocross Championships said
Jonathan Page was affected by an illness that put him in the hospital.

15:19 EST
Page, who has consistently placed ahead of Trebon in European cyclocross
this season, needs to be smart and manage resources that may be affected by
whatever ilness sent him to the hospital yesterday.

15:25 EST 22mins/38mins to go
At the front of the race, Wells has taken a flyer but Trebon was able to
cover it with Page clingin to his wheel. For the past three years, Trebon
and Wells have only known Page from the back of his jersey (Page won all
three races solo) so the wild card that may determine the outcome in this
race is how affected Page is from his illness. Does he have the energy
reserves to keep this kind of effort up? He definately seems to be on the
defense.

What gives? How can you be in the hospital one day, and then finish on the
podium the next day? Is it really true that caught his wife at the airport
with suit cases loaded with illegal Belgian waffles?

"Joe King" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> What gives? How can you be in the hospital one day, and then finish on
> the podium the next day? Is it really true that caught his wife at the
> airport with suit cases loaded with illegal Belgian waffles?

It would depend on why he was admitted to the hospital.

Apparently he picked up food poisoning and spent a lot of time
unloading and hence was dehydrated. So they were busy hydrating him
back up again. Without sleep though it's pretty hard to do your best.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> Apparently he picked up food poisoning and spent a lot of time
> unloading and hence was dehydrated. So they were busy hydrating him
> back up again. Without sleep though it's pretty hard to do your best.

He and Cori, but luckily not little Emma, were in a really bad way
Friday. Just vomitting all over the place. Luckily, one of the
friends I was staying with in Providence is an ER doc, so she went into
work with them and tried to put him back together.

In the end, he slept friday night, after they got back to the hotel at
about 10:30, but he really wasnt able to eat yet saturday. we kept
putting saltines and gingerale into him, but you could see he was just
empty.

He looked pretty shitty on the podium, clenched teeth and hands,
shaking all over. it was ugly.

As far as the race went, Todd looked really smooth and perfectly
"paced." I would have been great to see him and Page swapping attacks.
Ryan folded mentally, it appeared to me, with 2 to go, then decided to
start riding and closed a huge gap, but it was too little too late.
Made for an exciting finale.

JP was done with 3 to go and just managed his gap to Craid, who he
could see and hear the gaps to.

I hope Wells does worlds, but i think he is done for the year, no?

Oh, pics of JP in the hospital friday on the web at
www.thejonathanpage.com

"jerry in vermont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Apparently he picked up food poisoning and spent a lot of time
>> unloading and hence was dehydrated. So they were busy hydrating him
>> back up again. Without sleep though it's pretty hard to do your best.

> He and Cori, but luckily not little Emma, were in a really bad way
> Friday. Just vomitting all over the place. Luckily, one of the
> friends I was staying with in Providence is an ER doc, so she went into
> work with them and tried to put him back together.
>
> In the end, he slept friday night, after they got back to the hotel at
> about 10:30, but he really wasnt able to eat yet saturday. we kept
> putting saltines and gingerale into him, but you could see he was just
> empty.
>
> He looked pretty shitty on the podium, clenched teeth and hands,
> shaking all over. it was ugly.
>
> As far as the race went, Todd looked really smooth and perfectly
> "paced." I would have been great to see him and Page swapping attacks.
> Ryan folded mentally, it appeared to me, with 2 to go, then decided to
> start riding and closed a huge gap, but it was too little too late.
> Made for an exciting finale.

Remember I noted that Ryan was going to surprise?

> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > Apparently he picked up food poisoning and spent a lot of time
> > unloading and hence was dehydrated. So they were busy hydrating him
> > back up again. Without sleep though it's pretty hard to do your best.

> He and Cori, but luckily not little Emma, were in a really bad way
> Friday. Just vomitting all over the place. Luckily, one of the
> friends I was staying with in Providence is an ER doc, so she went into
> work with them and tried to put him back together.
>
> In the end, he slept friday night, after they got back to the hotel at
> about 10:30, but he really wasnt able to eat yet saturday. we kept
> putting saltines and gingerale into him, but you could see he was just
> empty.
>
> He looked pretty shitty on the podium, clenched teeth and hands,
> shaking all over. it was ugly.
>
> JP was done with 3 to go

Typical symptoms of going through severe withdrawl from "Pot Belge".
It is ugly to see a doper all wrecked up, looking to score their next
fix. Apparently, they announced drug testing for nationals on friday
for the winner, and a random. Suspicious, no?

crit PRO

In article <[email protected]>,
"crit PRO" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Typical symptoms of going through severe withdrawl from "Pot Belge".
> It is ugly to see a doper all wrecked up, looking to score their next
> fix. Apparently, they announced drug testing for nationals on friday
> for the winner, and a random. Suspicious, no?

No.

--
tanx,
Howard

The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "jerry in vermont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> Apparently he picked up food poisoning and spent a lot of time
> >> unloading and hence was dehydrated. So they were busy hydrating him
> >> back up again. Without sleep though it's pretty hard to do your best.

> > He and Cori, but luckily not little Emma, were in a really bad way
> > Friday. Just vomitting all over the place. Luckily, one of the
> > friends I was staying with in Providence is an ER doc, so she went into
> > work with them and tried to put him back together.
> >
> > In the end, he slept friday night, after they got back to the hotel at
> > about 10:30, but he really wasnt able to eat yet saturday. we kept
> > putting saltines and gingerale into him, but you could see he was just
> > empty.
> >
> > He looked pretty shitty on the podium, clenched teeth and hands,
> > shaking all over. it was ugly.
> >
> > As far as the race went, Todd looked really smooth and perfectly
> > "paced." I would have been great to see him and Page swapping attacks.
> > Ryan folded mentally, it appeared to me, with 2 to go, then decided to
> > start riding and closed a huge gap, but it was too little too late.
> > Made for an exciting finale.

> Remember I noted that Ryan was going to surprise?

Yeah, he was really solid. It looked like he'd been dropped for good
and it was over, but he pulled back a huge gap and made it at least
close. Nice job.
Bill C

That was a great looking Cervelo Jon was riding...seriously, though,
will Jon be riding in Liberty kit the rest of the year or will Cervelo
really give him some sponsorship?

CH

>or or will Cervelo really give him some sponsorship?

baahhahahaahhhaaahh.

um, no. they are just the bike sponsor silly.

He did tell me that they told him that "the bike was done and had been
ridden". Dont know by whom. Hope they liked it.

That said, he is under contract thru end of cross this winter, but is
contractually able/encouraged to pick up a title sponsor, like Liberty.

There is a broohahah going on at LS right now with Heras and the owner
resigning and all, so they had to zip back to spain and were
unavailable to talk to him after nats. I honestly dont know if they
are interested or anything like that, but the door is not closed
either.

My belief from what I have heard is that he is doing well enough this
year on his own merits (not just as the guy with a snazzy jersey) to
have attracted the attention of euro teams. He is pretty firmly at the
top of the "best of the rest" category. That being those not already
on a Palmans/Fidea/Rabo-esque program. Well, after Dlask. I dunno
what that guys problem is. Before you flame me for that comment,
remember that Gadret is off to AG2R (is Jatarzi hiring?), De Knegt is
back on Rabo (is AA drink hiring?), Dlask is too tall so people
ostracize him (are he and Ryan lovers?), all the miscellaneous eastern
euros whose name you can neither spell nor pronounce are not as high
profile and popular there as JP (and lately he has been beating them
anyway). So, an argument could be made that he is at or near the head
of the line for a mainstream sponsor.

J (next in line for the cervelo gig)