Joshua G. has not posted for 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alpha Beta

Hmm.. No report. ... Being a test pilot is a risky businesses. You lose one every once in a while.

Hope he had the thrill of a life time just before he lost it.

aaaaah someone cares, the rest of U hoped I did lose it/ The ride was pretty boring...uneventful,
although I did discover that working brakes would have really come in handy for the Red Traffic
Light I sailed through. The Electric brakes worked fine, the Caliper brakes did not work at all.
Plan 2 will be a cinder block with a rope for an emergency brake...hopefully I'll remember to tie
one end of the rope to the trike. Monday I begin riding the tadpole everyday on my 16 mile daily
commute. Anyone in Toronto is advised to avoid Spadina/Adelaide/Church between 11:00 am and 7:00 pm.
I'll post pics of the trike by Friday...assuming the trike survives till I get the pics taken. This
is the prototype, so it ain't pretty and it is...well (different).

This trike will be the model I'll take into limited production 2nd, the other one is still in the
jig making stage. My goal was to do a prototype for under $1K and I achieved my target $2K ago and
it ain't finished yet....oy did I miscalculate.

I still want to get a trike out there for under $1200. and this will be that trike, hopefully once I
figure out what I am doing wrong I'll stop doing it and get costs on track.

The killer cost of this trike was the engineering team and then shipping, the shipping alone
was $700.00.

And for **** Ryan...U were right, seems using Taiwan for a frame may NOT be such a bad idea
afterall. My own fault though, when I said I wanted a frame that could withstand being hit by an
SUV, I DIDN'T mean they should over build it. This trike could be dropped from a 747 into the Grand
Canyon and still be ridden.

This will (eventually) become a USV "Urban Survival Vehicle", downside is it will take another $1K
(at least) to get it right/ the fun stuff like the ass end from a Dragonflyer design, dual disc
brakes, a Cobra Hardshell. I got the Cobra, but cannot figure out the mounts..curses.

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hmm.. No report. ... Being a test pilot is a risky businesses. You lose one every once in a while.
>
> Hope he had the thrill of a life time just before he lost it.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The ride was pretty boring...uneventful, although I did discover that working brakes would have
> really come in handy for the Red Traffic Light I sailed through.
>
> >

I would offer to send up my S&B to law enforcement since it has a siren; but Wile e. Coyote might
run! :) Glad it was "boring and uneventul" , something good to say about that. If I want something
to REALLY screw up - I just drop the uneventful ride.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

The one observation I can make about going over to tadpole riding is that my riding style has to be
more civil (hate that). The trike is sooo long and wide I can no longer fit between parked cars at
the meter and the parked cars (waiting) for the Red Traffic Light to turn Green. There was always
just enuff room for me to drive fult tilt up to the intersection to be the 1st away when the light
changed and some of these lines can be 100 cars long. NOW I have to sit parked, sucking in exhaust
and playing with my toes...waiting with all the cars for the light to turn green. Am going to either
wear a Walkman or install stereo system with some Cerwin-Vegas, maybe a reading lamp too. Some of
these traffic lines U sit 20 minutes and then you move up 30 cars and the light goes red again. Am
starting to understand why road rage happens....with my luck I'll be stuck in traffic with all the
cars I have hammered over the years (Karma).....hmmm Brad Nailer (never leave home without it).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
"Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > The ride was pretty boring...uneventful, although I did discover that working brakes would have
> > really come in handy for the Red Traffic Light I sailed through.
> >
> > >
>
> I would offer to send up my S&B to law enforcement since it has a siren; but Wile e. Coyote might
> run! :) Glad it was "boring and uneventul" , something good to say about that. If I want
> something to REALLY screw up - I just drop the uneventful ride.
>
> Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

You know, I have read your posts cheering cyclists that were bashing an illegaly parked car, then
this post appeared:

>"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a
>narrow street
and
>she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn again just as I rode passed the
>back of her car. Odd feeling getting whacked from the side, usually I just get hit from the front
>or rear ... I am an
excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who >are lost in space....

and finally this post today: "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The one observation I can make about going over to tadpole riding is that
my
> riding style has to be more civil (hate that). The trike is sooo long and wide I can no longer fit
> between parked cars at the meter and the parked cars (waiting) for the Red Traffic Light to turn
> Green. There was always just enuff room for me to drive fult tilt up to the intersection to be the
> 1st away when the light changed and some of these lines can be 100 cars long.

What was that again about "I am an excellent cyclist"??

Jo

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>
> The one observation I can make about going over to tadpole riding is that my riding style has to
> be more civil (hate that). The trike is sooo long and wide I can no longer fit between parked cars
> at the meter and the parked cars (waiting) for the Red Traffic Light to turn Green. There was
> always just enuff room for me to drive fult tilt up to the intersection to be the 1st away when
> the light changed and some of these lines can be 100 cars long. NOW I have to sit parked, sucking
> in exhaust and playing with my toes...waiting with all the cars for the light to turn green. Am
> going to either wear a Walkman or install stereo system with some Cerwin-Vegas, maybe a reading
> lamp too. Some of these traffic lines U sit 20 minutes and then you move up 30 cars and the light
> goes red again. Am starting to understand why road rage happens....with my luck I'll be stuck in
> traffic with all the cars I have hammered over the years (Karma).....hmmm Brad Nailer (never leave
> home without it).

I was in Toronto today, and I did not have to wait behind a single car at the 4-way stop in the
center of town. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

You're okay -- darn it. I was inquiring because I was hoping to go down to the police pound and pick
up some usable trike parts after the police finished prying your body out of the roll cage.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> aaaaah someone cares, the rest of U hoped I did lose it/

nah....only the rollbar is up, this design has the side crash bars built into the frame...no harness
yet. I went for a short ride tonite and a CLWB Bent passed me...I whistled and almost gave chase,
but declined...I was going West, he was going north and this trike does not do U-turns easily with
the trailer. Nice to see another bent rider out riding in this gawd awful frigid weather.

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You're okay -- darn it. I was inquiring because I was hoping to go down to the police pound and
pick
> up some usable trike parts after the police finished prying your body out
of
> the roll cage.
>
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > aaaaah someone cares, the rest of U hoped I did lose it/

Tom...this is Sunday, try Monday and see what happens. Sunday in Toronto is the only quiet day
because the city core is virtually dead. I live on Spadina Road...a 6 lane street with 2 bike lanes,
plus a Subway beneath, on Sunday there is hardly any traffic at all, come Monday the street becomes
an Expressway.
------------------------------
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> >
> > The one observation I can make about going over to tadpole riding is
that my
> > riding style has to be more civil (hate that). The trike is sooo long
and
> > wide I can no longer fit between parked cars at the meter and the parked cars (waiting) for the
> > Red Traffic Light to turn Green. There was always just enuff room for me to drive fult tilt up
> > to the intersection to be
the
> > 1st away when the light changed and some of these lines can be 100 cars long. NOW I have to sit
> > parked, sucking in exhaust and playing with my toes...waiting with all the cars for the light to
> > turn green. Am going
to
> > either wear a Walkman or install stereo system with some Cerwin-Vegas,
maybe
> > a reading lamp too. Some of these traffic lines U sit 20 minutes and
then
> > you move up 30 cars and the light goes red again. Am starting to
understand
> > why road rage happens....with my luck I'll be stuck in traffic with all
the
> > cars I have hammered over the years (Karma).....hmmm Brad Nailer (never leave home without it).
>
> I was in Toronto today, and I did not have to wait behind a single car at the 4-way stop in the
> center of town. ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>
> Tom...this is Sunday, try Monday and see what happens. Sunday in Toronto is the only quiet day
> because the city core is virtually dead. I live on Spadina Road...a 6 lane street with 2 bike
> lanes, plus a Subway beneath, on Sunday there is hardly any traffic at all, come Monday the street
> becomes an Expressway.

Joshua,

I was referring to Toronto, Iowa. By my rough visual estimate, there are as many beef cattle as
people living within city limits. The streets may well be worse than those of Toronto, Canada for
cycling, as most are not even paved.

Feel free to check out my Toronto (the Canadian one). Might be nice to have U stop in Toronto
enroute to Trikefest in early August. "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> >
> > Tom...this is Sunday, try Monday and see what happens. Sunday in Toronto
is
> > the only quiet day because the city core is virtually dead. I live on Spadina Road...a 6 lane
> > street with 2 bike lanes, plus a
Subway
> > beneath, on Sunday there is hardly any traffic at all, come Monday the street becomes an
> > Expressway.
>
> Joshua,
>
> I was referring to Toronto, Iowa. By my rough visual estimate, there are as many beef cattle as
> people living within city limits. The streets may well be worse than those of Toronto, Canada for
> cycling, as most are not even paved.
>

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>
> Feel free to check out my Toronto (the Canadian one). Might be nice to have U stop in Toronto
> enroute to Trikefest in early August.

Joshua,

You just want me to come so you have an opportunity to steal my Dragonflyer! ;)

If there were a maglev rail terminal nearby offering service to Toronto, Canada that would
accommodate recumbent trikes, I would probably attend with my Dragonflyer. Unfortunately, such
service does not exist [1] at this time. August is also a very busy time at work. [2]

As for checking out Toronto, Iowa, it is very similar to most other small towns of less the 200
people located in the upper (US) Midwest.

[1] Insert long rant about the US Government having subsidies for fossil fuels, highways, airlines,
and SUV's over 8000 pounds gross weight, but not for high-speed rail.
[2] This year everything is up in the air, due to the possible US invasion of Iraq and the
unpredictable consequences (economic and otherwise) if the invasion does take place.

Don't worry about it, the way the weather has been going they'll probably cancel Trikefest due to
the Snow drifts in August.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> >
> > Feel free to check out my Toronto (the Canadian one). Might be nice to
have
> > U stop in Toronto enroute to Trikefest in early August.
>
> Joshua,
>
> You just want me to come so you have an opportunity to steal my Dragonflyer! ;)
>
> If there were a maglev rail terminal nearby offering service to Toronto, Canada that would
> accommodate recumbent trikes, I would probably attend with my Dragonflyer. Unfortunately, such
> service does not exist [1] at this time. August is also a very busy time at work. [2]
>
> As for checking out Toronto, Iowa, it is very similar to most other small towns of less the 200
> people located in the upper (US) Midwest.
>
> [1] Insert long rant about the US Government having subsidies for fossil fuels, highways,
> airlines, and SUV's over 8000 pounds gross weight, but not for high-speed rail.
> [2] This year everything is up in the air, due to the possible US invasion of Iraq and the
> unpredictable consequences (economic and otherwise) if the invasion does take place.
>

Jo Smith wrote:
> You know, I have read your posts cheering cyclists that were bashing an illegaly parked car, then
> this post appeared:
>
>
>>"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a
>>narrow street and she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn again just as
>>I rode passed the back of her car.
>>
IMHO Josh is full of himself. Trying to ride past someone who is in the middle of doing a Y-turn
ranks right up there with the guy (NOT Josh) who rode between the curb and the stopped bus, then was
surprised when a passenger stepped off right in front of him! Duh! Apparently riding a bicycle makes
him too morally superior to follow safe cycling practices if they inconvenience him. (Even where
passing on the right is allowed,[1] it's almost never safe.) My flame suit is on, because I'm sure
he has a few vitriolic words for anyone who would dare to challenge his rationalizations. For
myself, I'm glad he's there and I'm here.

[1] Oh no, I'm doing footnotes, too! This applies only to places with right-side driving.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

U-Turn, not a Y-turn Picture this...I am driving south on the West side of the street and a car is
parked (facing south) on the East side of the street. The car acts as though it is going to drive
South (same direction I am going), this car is about 100 feet ahead of me. As I get closer and the
car has pulled out to travel South in the West bound lane (my lane), the car begins to do a 180
degree turn. At this point I am facing the front of the car which is now in MY west side Southbound
lane again. Then the car stops and goes into reverse (going South backwards), turns her car, so the
front is now facing SE and stops...then goes into reverse again in a NW direction just as I am going
South (behind her car). This is all being done slowly...maybe 20 mph. All I could figure was she
realized with cars parked on the E and W sides and a narrow street, she would not have enough room
to do her U-Turn. She did not see me, but because her car had stopped going backwards...I figured
she was aware I was there and was stopped to let me pass. I was wrong and the corner of her car hit
me and because I was sandwiched into a parked car, my full weight hit the back corner of the car and
the side of my CLWB smashed in her tail lights.

There was only one option available, I stop and try to figure out what this moron is trying to
do....she would have hit me whether or not I was moving. I clearly had the right of way here.
Drivers are not supposed to be doing stupid car tricks on narrow streets. When I am the one at fault
I always admit my error...fortunately I am Never in error (IMHO).
--------------------------
"John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jo Smith wrote:
> > You know, I have read your posts cheering cyclists that were bashing an illegaly parked car,
> > then this post appeared:
> >
> >
> >>"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a
> >>narrow street and she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn
> >> again just as I rode passed the back of her car.
> >>
> IMHO Josh is full of himself. Trying to ride past someone who is in the middle of doing a Y-turn
> ranks right up there with the guy (NOT Josh) who rode between the curb and the stopped bus, then
> was surprised when a passenger stepped off right in front of him! Duh! Apparently riding a bicycle
> makes him too morally superior to follow safe cycling practices if they inconvenience him. (Even
> where passing on the right is allowed,[1] it's almost never safe.) My flame suit is on, because
> I'm sure he has a few vitriolic words for anyone who would dare to challenge his rationalizations.
> For myself, I'm glad he's there and I'm here.
>
> [1] Oh no, I'm doing footnotes, too! This applies only to places with right-side driving.
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Status
Not open for further replies.