Joychan Roberson, who promoted weight loss after shedding 600 pounds, dead at 50

Big Betty

Guest
Here's proof that dieting is deadly! Save yourself now.

Associated Press

LANCASTER, Calif. - Joychan Roberson, who dedicated herself to helping
others overcome morbid obesity after she lost 600 pounds, has died at age
50.

Roberson, of Lancaster in Los Angeles County, died Dec. 11 after suffering
from uterine cancer. A funeral was held Monday, the Los Angeles Times
reported.

Roberson once weighed 900 pounds and had to be hospitalized because her
lungs could no longer supply oxygen to her body.

"I'd eat because I was depressed and was depressed because I was fat," she
once said. "I earned every pound I carried. Most people have a time
separation between meals, but I ate all day long."

After being taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center in a U-Haul
truck, she was placed in a special oversized bed. Roberson told friends she
realized she needed to lose weight after hearing doctors indicate there was
little they could do to help her.

She began exercising by pulling herself up by a bar hanging over her
hospital bed. After returning home, she paced around her mother's porch and
took strolls through a local park.

In 18 months, she trimmed down to 720 pounds.

She later joined a gym and began working with a professional trainer,
dropping 200 pounds in a year through a regimen of walking, swimming and
other exercises.

"She called me Dr. Death and Dr. Pain," said her trainer, Cecil Pullum.
"But as much as she complained and whined, she was there every day, ready
to sweat."

After slimming down, she and her trainer held workshops and seminars to
help others struggling with morbid obesity. She started an organization,
Life's Forgotten Angels, and appeared on Oprah Winfrey's talk show.

"If I can do it, so can others," Roberson said. "I can give them hope and
encouragement, but the bottom line is that it's their choice whether to
fight and live."

Big Betty wrote:

> Here's proof that dieting is deadly! Save yourself now.

I know, I shouldn't feed trolls...

> Roberson, of Lancaster in Los Angeles County, died Dec. 11 after suffering
> from uterine cancer. A funeral was held Monday, the Los Angeles Times
> reported.

and shedding weight causes uterine cancer, which is proven by...?

> Roberson once weighed 900 pounds and had to be hospitalized because her
> lungs could no longer supply oxygen to her body.

And ths depletion of oxygen might as well have caused cancer. Weighing 900
pounds was probably healthy... *duh*.

Get a life. And stop crossposting such **** to support.diet-groups.

Petra in Hamburg, Germany

Petra Hildebrandt wrote:

> Big Betty wrote:
>

>>Here's proof that dieting is deadly! Save yourself now.

> I know, I shouldn't feed trolls...
>

>>Roberson, of Lancaster in Los Angeles County, died Dec. 11 after suffering
>>from uterine cancer. A funeral was held Monday, the Los Angeles Times
>>reported.

> and shedding weight causes uterine cancer, which is proven by...?
>

>>Roberson once weighed 900 pounds and had to be hospitalized because her
>>lungs could no longer supply oxygen to her body.

> And ths depletion of oxygen might as well have caused cancer. Weighing 900
> pounds was probably healthy... *duh*.
>
> Get a life. And stop crossposting such **** to support.diet-groups.
>
> Petra in Hamburg, Germany

------------

You're right, Petra. Too silly an idea to even bother with.

Sick puppies out there - always looking for any excuse to blame anything
but their own bad choices.

To much of any one thing is dangerous to the body. Yes, running is
dangerous if one does not know the limits of the one's own body. Over
the years, the body will become more enduring and stronger with rest
in-between. I would not run more than a mile before a big race, nor
would is eat extremely every day. There is a balance and know your
body is the only way you can gain more life. I once was a runner,
before my weight problem.
Running is an art of controling your breathing, your heart beat and
mediation as you run. Before running daily, I could not control my
heart. I was watching every hole and stone in my path. Later, I
learned to breath and started to run past obstacles with out looking at
them. Even later, I was in a sort of mediation, listening to my heart
and controlling it. This was when I realized that our heart is like an
boiler engine and you have to care for it the same way. Over
exercizing is dangerous and some times deadly, but we need it to
maintain a balance.
The other part of it is what we eat and taken. When I ran, I never
drank soda, alcohol, or ate candy, fast food. I knew that these would
make my performance sluggish and force my heart and kidneys to work
harder.
Now, I am overweight because I ignore my own knowledge, but I am
getting back to this balance.
It would be a mistake to say do not exercise. It is needed, but knowing
your limits is key. Personally, I go much further.... I know my
required Protein intake, Calorie intake, and Body Mass for my current
weight. I know what foods to eat and not. If I don't make it past 52
years, so be it. But I plan on passing this knowledge on to my siblings
and hope they are better than I.
Everett Tsosie
http://iphysicallyfit.com

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 21 Dec 2004 13:49:26 -0000, Big Betty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here's proof that dieting is deadly! Save yourself now.
>>

>So is running and being thin:
>
>http://www.halhigdon.com/Articles/Fixx.htm
>
>Jim Fixx died atage 52 from too much running.

Amen! Jim Fix would be alive today if he had not dieted. Fat also
protects against heart disease. Heart attacks are virtually unheard of in
people weighing several hundred pounds who have never dieted. Yo-yo
dieting is deadly.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Patricia <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sick puppies out there - always looking for any excuse to blame anything
>but their own bad choices.

Fat actually protects the body from cancer. Joychan Roberson lost 600
pounds of protection thanks to weight loss zealots like you. The safest
course of action is to eat what you want without deprivation, then let your
body find its natural weight. No one has ever died from obesity, just
yo-yo dieting.

RIP Joychan.

Hey Big Betty,

I don't understand the correlation between losing weight and the unfortunate
woman having uterine cancer. Are you saying that fat people have a lower
incidence of cancer than slim people? Cite your sources, and name some
studies that we can reference please.

Thanks, I'm fascinated by the way that schizophrenic minds work.
Peter

"Big Betty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's proof that dieting is deadly! Save yourself now.
>
> Associated Press
>
> LANCASTER, Calif. - Joychan Roberson, who dedicated herself to helping
> others overcome morbid obesity after she lost 600 pounds, has died at age
> 50.
>
> Roberson, of Lancaster in Los Angeles County, died Dec. 11 after suffering
> from uterine cancer. A funeral was held Monday, the Los Angeles Times
> reported.

People are born into their bodies. Nobody has a calling card on the way
they would like to be born.

And nobody has a right to look down on someone else because they were born
one way, and died another.

Just my thinking.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Lady Veteran <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is a troll. Please ignore.

STFU, you fat corn toothed bull dyke!

Yours in Christ,

Marty

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, "marengo" <marengo@ cox.net> wrote:

>Hey Big Betty,
>
>I don't understand the correlation between losing weight and the unfortunate
>woman having uterine cancer. Are you saying that fat people have a lower
>incidence of cancer than slim people?

Cancer is virtually unheard of in fat people who have never dieted.

>Cite your sources, and name some studies that we can reference please.

Http://www.naafa.org is only source of truthful health information about
fat related health issues.

--
Peter
270/219/180
"Big Betty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, "marengo" <marengo@ cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >Hey Big Betty,
> >
> >I don't understand the correlation between losing weight and the

unfortunate
> >woman having uterine cancer. Are you saying that fat people have a lower
> >incidence of cancer than slim people?

> Cancer is virtually unheard of in fat people who have never dieted.
>
> >Cite your sources, and name some studies that we can reference please.

> Http://www.naafa.org is only source of truthful health information about
> fat related health issues.

.... and they're totally unbiased of course, right?
;-)

Actually, "Mama" Cass Elliot died of a heart attack, not a ham sandwich in a
London hotel room her daughter verified this on a tv show. the ham sandwich
is merely an urban myth it was cardio-vascular.
"marengo" <marengo@ cox.net> wrote in message

> "Big Betty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Patricia <[email protected]> wrote:

> No one has ever died from obesity, ...>
> <snip>.
>
> Well, there was that sandwich that Mama Cass Elliot choked to death on

while

--
Peter
270/219/180
website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo
"merseyside lad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually, "Mama" Cass Elliot died of a heart attack, not a ham sandwich in

> London hotel room her daughter verified this on a tv show. the ham

sandwich
> is merely an urban myth it was cardio-vascular.

I know that ... I was just trying to reply to Big Betty on her own level.
Nothing she said had a grai of truth or rationale; in fact, it's just plain
silly. No sense casting pearls among swine ..

> --
> Peter
> 270/219/180
> website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo
> "merseyside lad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Actually, "Mama" Cass Elliot died of a heart attack, not a ham sandwich
>> in

>> London hotel

Maybe, but if Karen Carpenter had shared Elvis' last burger they both might
still be alive...

Karen Carpenter = An errant pecker.

Karen had a heart attack as well she could have had a happy meal and still
would have croaked. The trauma on her heart from barfing for twenty years
all added up. there was nothing that could have stopped that.
news:[email protected]...