Jtek Shiftmate review (Campy/Shimano compatability)

martin_j001

May 12, 2004
Not too long ago, I switched out my Shimano Dura Ace 9s shift levers for some 10s Campy Record levers (for both comfort, performance, and of course a little of the looks!! :D ). I tried the method of moving the rear derailleur cable, described at http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm, but that didn't work too well as the shifting was rough at one end of the cassette or the other, and the cable seemed to loosen up and twist after a ride or two (could possibly be fixed by locktite I guess). At this point I was thinking this may not work and that I may have to switch back to the Dura Ace levers--which I REALLY didn't want to do. :(

Anyways, after receiving some advice from boudreaux (thanks again!!), I decided to check out the Jtek Shiftmate (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm). This device helps to equalize the derailleur throw and shifter throw to give the proper indexing for whatever mix of components you are using (they have 4 different models available for just about any combination of shifters and drivetrain). I installed the Shiftmate in about 15-20 minutes time, and immediately noticed a difference. The shifting was back to being buttery smooth, with no extra noise or jumping or skipping at all. I did a workout on the trainer after that, and everything worked very well--just a few minor adjustments that needed to be made. After that, I hit the road with it and it performed exactly as expected. After several rides on road and on the trainer, the shifting is working just as smooth as if the whole drivetrain were the same group. In ordering the Shiftmate, I talked to Jay Guthrie, owner of Jtek Engineering, and he was great to deal with. Very fast, and willing to help out his customers. I definitely recommend this product to anyone looking to combine Campy and Shimano components. If anyone would like, I can post pictures of it mounted on my bike--just ask and I'll get them up tonight!!

martin_j001 said:
A picture of the Jtek Shiftmate mounted on the bike....

Interesting. It looks just like an Avid "Roll-A-Majig" (or whatever they were called). Is the pulley eccentric or elliptical or something to account for the different spacing/throw?

The pulley has two sides to it, one smaller and one large, with a flat section to go from one to the other. There is an "installation" pdf at the website that gives a little diagram of the pulley. Depending on the application (what shifters, derailleurs, cassette, etc), you can change the pulley so the cable goes from large to small or small to large, and then to the derraileur.

martin_j001 said:
The pulley has two sides to it, one smaller and one large, with a flat section to go from one to the other. There is an "installation" pdf at the website that gives a little diagram of the pulley. Depending on the application (what shifters, derailleurs, cassette, etc), you can change the pulley so the cable goes from large to small or small to large, and then to the derraileur.
Jtek will customize one for you if you need a combination not covered by the stock design. Did one for me to allow 9 speed shifters to work with an 8 speed cassette. Shifts perfectly, same price.