Juan Flecha Backs Simeoni

Paolo

Aug 28, 2005
Juan Antonio Flecha has backed Fillipo Simeonis version of events during the 2004 tour when Lance Armstrong chased him down.
Juan Flecha told police who interviewed him that lance intimidated simeoni because of his accusation of drugs against Michelle Ferrari.
Flecha also told police that lance told Simeoni to "shut up about doping"

Quoted from police in italian paper who interviewed Dimitri Fofonov and Juan as part of an investiagtion into witness intimidation in the Ferrari trial

Paolo said:
Juan Antonio Flecha has backed Fillipo Simeonis version of events during the 2004 tour when Lance Armstrong chased him down.
Juan Flecha told police who interviewed him that lance intimidated simeoni because of his accusation of drugs against Michelle Ferrari.

Quoted from police in italian paper who interviewed Dimitri Fofonov and Juan as part of an investiagtion into witness intimidation in the Ferrari trial
Bring some credence to the following:

"It would cost a million and a half dollars and a year of my life," he said. "I have a lot better things to do with the million and a half, and a lot better things I can do with my time." said Armstrong of the recent L'Equipe allegations.

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php...ug05/aug25news2)

- Funny here is what Armstrong told Filippo Simeoni during the 2004 Tour de France:

"You were wrong to testify against Michele Ferrari; you were wrong to sue me [for defamation of character]. I have lots of money and lots of time and I will destroy you. I’ll make you give up racing"

http://www.procycling.com/news_archive.aspx?ID=372

whiteboytrash said:
Bring some credence to the following:

"It would cost a million and a half dollars and a year of my life," he said. "I have a lot better things to do with the million and a half, and a lot better things I can do with my time." said Armstrong of the recent L'Equipe allegations.

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php...ug05/aug25news2)

- Funny here is what Armstrong told Filippo Simeoni during the 2004 Tour de France:

"You were wrong to testify against Michele Ferrari; you were wrong to sue me [for defamation of character]. I have lots of money and lots of time and I will destroy you. I’ll make you give up racing"

http://www.procycling.com/news_archive.aspx?ID=372
Damn!
And I was saying to myself that the "I have a lot better things to do with the million and a half, and a lot better things I can do with my time" quote was somehow familiar to my ears.
Not in the same way, though... :D

Simeoni alleged that the two of the USPS riders also spat at him when he made his way back to the group.
Ekimov was identified as one of the culprits.

limerickman said:
Simeoni alleged that the two of the USPS riders also spat at him when he made his way back to the group.
Disgusting but I wouldn't expect anymore from the USPS/Disco boys..... intimidation was one of there main tactics...... it funny how at the time I could never understand why Armstrong and other were so passionate about pursuing Simeoni in this fashion.... with the evidence we have now we know why there was such an effort to silence him....

Those Americans who spat at him have short memories of this: (yes I know Ekimov is Russian)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/oth...rts/1567222.stm

Filippo Simeoni
(born in Desio, province of Milan, August 17, 1971) is an Italian cyclist. His most important victories were the two stages he won in the Vuelta a España in 2001 and 2003.

More than for his prestations, Simeoni is known for his 'rebellious' actions. During the 18th stage win in the 2001 Vuelta he stopped just before the finish line and walked across the finish line with his bike in his hands. He did so as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Later the Union Cycliste Internationale fined him for this.

“I'm a thinker and I wanted to make people think again about the sport. I wanted to say that sport is an ideal activity for helping young people mature in life… The gesture of raising my bike above my head was also meant as a protest against the terrorists attacks in New York. Sport has to make peace gestures like this. We've had enough of war. Cyclists shouldn't have to feel distant from events that happen away from racing. I know a lot of cyclists who feel the same way that I do, but they don't say anything because the opportunity doesn't present itself. The important thing is that people understand that sport is a healthy thing to do.”

Are you trying to make us Americans feel guilty because LA punked Simeoni in the break? Is that why you keep posting this? Simieoni's gesture is admirable but it has nothing to do with Simeoni vs. LA. Do you find the German and Basque fans that spat on LA on Alpe d Huez disgusting? Or is it ok for LA to get spat on but not Simeoni? I know theres a difference(fans/team) but you and Lim are quick to judge just because Simeoni "alleged" that a USPS rider spat on him. If this indeed happened I would think that there would at least be a pic or video of it happening. Guess I'll have to get out the DVD just to see if this indeed did happen.

whiteboytrash said:
Disgusting but I wouldn't expect anymore from the USPS/Disco boys..... intimidation was one of there main tactics...... it funny how at the time I could never understand why Armstrong and other were so passionate about pursuing Simeoni in this fashion.... with the evidence we have now we know why there was such an effort to silence him....

Those Americans who spat at him have short memories of this: (yes I know Ekimov is Russian)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/oth...rts/1567222.stm

Filippo Simeoni
(born in Desio, province of Milan, August 17, 1971) is an Italian cyclist. His most important victories were the two stages he won in the Vuelta a España in 2001 and 2003.

More than for his prestations, Simeoni is known for his 'rebellious' actions. During the 18th stage win in the 2001 Vuelta he stopped just before the finish line and walked across the finish line with his bike in his hands. He did so as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Later the Union Cycliste Internationale fined him for this.

“I'm a thinker and I wanted to make people think again about the sport. I wanted to say that sport is an ideal activity for helping young people mature in life… The gesture of raising my bike above my head was also meant as a protest against the terrorists attacks in New York. Sport has to make peace gestures like this. We've had enough of war. Cyclists shouldn't have to feel distant from events that happen away from racing. I know a lot of cyclists who feel the same way that I do, but they don't say anything because the opportunity doesn't present itself. The important thing is that people understand that sport is a healthy thing to do.”

Paolo said:

I would be interested in the article if you have the reference.
I have doubts it is as you recount the story for several reasons.
First, Lance and Flecha are good freinds.
Secondly, it is quite possible that Flecha made a report saying in effect, everyone knows why Lance chased down Simeoni, its because Lance is angry about Simeoni's comments about Ferrari etc. without seeming to implicate Lance as some nefarious criminal.
It all depends on the emphasis.
Put up the original so we can all read and see.

As for spitting, it happens all the time in Italy when people are ****** and intend to insult someone, probably in Russia too. I think it is well known that Eki let one fly toward Simeoni. Simeoni desrved it for being a shitweasal. Big deal. Worse stuff happens every day in bike races. Ask Jens Voigt.

hombredesubaru said:
As for spitting, it happens all the time in Italy when people are ****** and intend to insult someone, probably in Russia too. I think it is well known that Eki let one fly toward Simeoni. Simeoni desrved it for being a shitweasal. Big deal. Worse stuff happens every day in bike races. Ask Jens Voigt.
I have never heard of Eki letting one fly toward Simeoni. Got a reference?

The Germans spat at Jens Voight as well.... it wasn't an American thing just the fact that CSC and USPS colluded together to make the race boring.... cycling fans do not like conspiracy’s.... race my friends, race !

thebluetrain said:
Are you trying to make us Americans feel guilty because LA punked Simeoni in the break? Is that why you keep posting this? Simieoni's gesture is admirable but it has nothing to do with Simeoni vs. LA. Do you find the German and Basque fans that spat on LA on Alpe d Huez disgusting? Or is it ok for LA to get spat on but not Simeoni? I know theres a difference(fans/team) but you and Lim are quick to judge just because Simeoni "alleged" that a USPS rider spat on him. If this indeed happened I would think that there would at least be a pic or video of it happening. Guess I'll have to get out the DVD just to see if this indeed did happen.

hombredesubaru said:
I would be interested in the article if you have the reference.
I have doubts it is as you recount the story for several reasons.
First, Lance and Flecha are good freinds.
Secondly, it is quite possible that Flecha made a report saying in effect, everyone knows why Lance chased down Simeoni, its because Lance is angry about Simeoni's comments about Ferrari etc. without seeming to implicate Lance as some nefarious criminal.

a friend read it to me over the phone,
the story was released by police sources who later confirmed it to the news paper.
Flecha friends with lance? - Since when
the police said flecha backed simeonis version of events and even quoted some of the conversation between the two.

the police also interviewed dimitri fofonov, but he claimed to have forgotten all about it and couldn't remember anything that was said between the two

Paolo said:
a friend read it to me over the phone,
the story was released by police sources who later confirmed it to the news paper.
Flecha friends with lance? - Since when
the police said flecha backed simeonis version of events and even quoted some of the conversation between the two.

the police also interviewed dimitri fofonov, but he claimed to have forgotten all about it and couldn't remember anything that was said between the two
Just because Flecha is friends with Lance(Assuming this is true, I dont know and Haven't read anything either way), doesn't mean he won't confirm it. Consider its a police investigation, he gave his honest account, friends or not. There were 5-6 others riders that could potential say that he did "intimidate" Simeoni, so how bad would this appear to the police if he contradicted the other riders. I wouldn't factor in friendships into what is said.

Capt.Injury said:
Just because Flecha is friends with Lance(Assuming this is true, I dont know and Haven't read anything either way), doesn't mean he won't confirm it. Consider its a police investigation, he gave his honest account, friends or not. There were 5-6 others riders that could potential say that he did "intimidate" Simeoni, so how bad would this appear to the police if he contradicted the other riders. I wouldn't factor in friendships into what is said.

I have a very hard time believing that Armstrong had any friends in the Peloton. Being an intimidated sycophant does not a friend make.

If a cyclist or team is powerful enough to chase people they don't like, take other normal race measures against people they chose to target for whatever reason, that is the race.

Nobody has an obligation to say why they may go on a breakaway (even if they are the maillot jaune), or why they might choose to return to the peloton. :p

hombredesubaru said:
everyone knows why Lance chased down Simeoni, its because Lance is angry about Simeoni's comments about Ferrari etc. without seeming to implicate Lance as some nefarious criminal.

Simeoni made his comments about Ferrari on court not on a paper. He paid enough because he was doped, but he NEVER claimed that ANY of Ferrari' s patients is a dope too. We have a proverb in Greece (about flies and who got them impossible to translate) :rolleyes: which means that instead you don't have a reason you don't bother about certain things (unless you DO care).

Anyway, the only thing you can't say for a person that confessed and faced the consequences is that he is a shitweasel.
And for God' s shake: attacking a honest man won't prove Lance innocent. It's a different thing, unless Lance knows something more that we don't know... ;)

musette said:
Nobody has an obligation to say why they may go on a breakaway (even if they are the maillot jaune), or why they might choose to return to the peloton. :p
And nobody should have to wait for the yellow jersey either if they crash. ;)

Ullefan said:
And nobody should have to wait for the yellow jersey either if they crash. ;)
Awesome return of serve Ulle..... there was only a white puff of smoke as the forehand winner hit the line and put you up 0-40....

whiteboytrash said:
Awesome return of serve Ulle..... there was only a white puff of smoke as the forehand winner hit the line and put you up 0-40....
You love Ullefan. I can see the chemistry. ;)

limerickman said:
It's really too bad Simeoni isnt riding the Vuelta so ha can win a stage and then cross the finish line holding his bike aloft in tribute to the victims of Huricane Katrina. He has such a way both with his words and with the meaningful public gesture.

Flecha seems a stand-up guy.Im inclined to believe what he says.

And spitting is bad period.If USPS spat at Simeoni they should have Pro Tour points taken away or something - as for the fans on Alpe D'Huez - they put football yobs to shame , utterly disgusting.

Lance must really regret chasing Simeoni down though, of all the dumb things he has said and done , thats up there with the worst of them.

ps
cycling fans do not like conspiracy’s.... race my friends, race !
Umm cycling is all about deals and 'conspiracys' , i dont know which cycling fans youre referring to but they arent particulary bright ones if they think a race is just a race.