Judgemental Prick

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. And I thought it only happened in the newsgroup.

    I'm standing in line at the post office with a Rock Shox box. The box is clearly repackaged and
    has an R.A. number scrawled on it. Some dude completes his transaction, walks past, glances at the
    box and says.

    "You should have gotten a Marzocchi"

    my reply?

    "It IS a Marzocchi."

    <Sigh>

    Bother. Singlespeed: gone. Dually: on blocks.

    I *have* to ride my hardtail now.

    When will this madness stop?

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

    Tags:

  2. Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > And I thought it only happened in the newsgroup.
    >
    > I'm standing in line at the post office with a Rock Shox box. The box is clearly repackaged and
    > has an R.A. number scrawled on it. Some dude completes his transaction, walks past, glances at the
    > box and says.
    >
    > "You should have gotten a Marzocchi"

    In the same situation I would have said the same thing.

    Unless I saw "Marzocchi" on the address label, then I would of said "Dude, that's harsh, how'd you
    manage to break a Marzocchi?"

    > my reply?
    >
    > "It IS a Marzocchi."

    Ohh? do tell!?!?!?!

    > Bother. Singlespeed: gone. Dually: on blocks.
    >
    > I *have* to ride my hardtail now.

    awe shucks.

    > When will this madness stop?

    can you say "spinning class"?-)

  3. ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    >
    >> And I thought it only happened in the newsgroup.
    >>
    >> I'm standing in line at the post office with a Rock Shox box. The box is clearly repackaged and
    >> has an R.A. number scrawled on it. Some dude completes his transaction, walks past, glances at
    >> the box and says.
    >>
    >> "You should have gotten a Marzocchi"
    >

    > In the same situation I would have said the same thing.
    >
    > Unless I saw "Marzocchi" on the address label, then I would of said "Dude, that's harsh, how'd you
    > manage to break a Marzocchi?"
    >

    >> my reply?
    >>
    >> "It IS a Marzocchi."
    >

    > Ohh? do tell!?!?!?!

    Marathon S 80

    It has never been right. There is some sort of disfunction having to do with the negative air
    cartridge. What happens is that the fork will "pack up" meaning that it won't fully extend. Oil is
    getting into the negative air chamber. How it pushes past 100 psi of air pressure, I do not know. I
    finally got sick of having to re-pressure the fork every so often (which always resulted in a
    festive geyser of foamy green fork oil shooting out of the negative chamber)and contacted Marzocchi.
    They sent a brand new negative air chamber, which promptly began to do the exact same thing. So
    today I called them again and told them I was sending the whole fork back.

    Sounds like some sort of valve issue.

    I have the exact same fork on the hardtail, and it has always been fine.

    I'd really like for them to just send a whole new fork.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  4. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    I have to say I've broken two Marzocchi's in the past two months. The first one, my bike went
    cartwheeling over me and landed on a rock, cracking the stanchion tube. Then yesterday, I
    inadvertently rode into Beaver Pond (remember that bridge that was in such crappy condition?
    Yesterday there was 4 inches of snow on it...) and when I retrieved my bike from the drink a layer
    of ice immediately formed on the slider tubes (it was 15 F out.) More ice formed when I accidently
    emptied my pogies on the fork. Upon further riding, the ice got wedged under the rubber seals. It
    worked okay for about 4 hours (after a ride back to the truck for a change of clothes), but when it
    thawed later at home the oil leaked. Time for new seals, I guess.

    On the plus side, my derailleur cables also froze up, so I got to experience riding a singlespeed
    with a more or less rigid fork back to the truck. I felt so cool! Retro-techno!

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > > And I thought it only happened in the newsgroup.
    > >
    > > I'm standing in line at the post office with a Rock Shox box. The box is clearly repackaged and
    > > has an R.A. number scrawled on it. Some dude completes his transaction, walks past, glances at
    > > the box and says.
    > >
    > > "You should have gotten a Marzocchi"
    >
    > In the same situation I would have said the same thing.
    >
    > Unless I saw "Marzocchi" on the address label, then I would of said "Dude, that's harsh, how'd you
    > manage to break a Marzocchi?"
    >

    > > my reply?
    > >
    > > "It IS a Marzocchi."
    >
    > Ohh? do tell!?!?!?!
    >
    > > Bother. Singlespeed: gone. Dually: on blocks.
    > >
    > > I *have* to ride my hardtail now.
    >
    > awe shucks.
    >
    > > When will this madness stop?
    >
    > can you say "spinning class"?-)

  5. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > Ohh? do tell!?!?!?!
    >
    > Marathon S 80
    >
    > It has never been right.

    Same here with my Flylight Air 2.5. One side was seeping oil on the day it was new. I asked the
    dealer about it; he said it was "normal". Then I said the other side must be defective because it
    didn't have the "normal" leak.

    Now both sides are as oily as a teenager in a fast food joint.

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>Ohh? do tell!?!?!?!
    >>
    >>Marathon S 80
    >>
    >>It has never been right. There is some sort of disfunction having to do with the negative air
    >>cartridge. What happens is that the fork will "pack up" meaning that it won't fully extend. Oil is
    >>getting into the negative air chamber. How it pushes past 100 psi of air pressure, I do not know.
    >>I finally got sick of having to re-pressure the fork every so often (which always resulted in a
    >>festive geyser of foamy green fork oil shooting out of the negative chamber)and contacted
    >>Marzocchi. They sent a brand new negative air chamber, which promptly began to do the exact same
    >>thing. So today I called them again and told them I was sending the whole fork back.
    >>
    >>Sounds like some sort of valve issue.
    >>
    >>I have the exact same fork on the hardtail, and it has always been fine.
    >>
    >>I'd really like for them to just send a whole new fork.

    > Hmmmm I have the same problem with my Marathon 100. It was stuck at 80mm and when I released the
    > pressure in the negative chamber it spewed oil all over my front disc caliper ruining the pads.
    > Keep me appraised of how it goes.

    As crappy as the Sid was for someone my size, the thing that worked well were the positive and
    negative air chambers. Everything else pretty much sucked, though.

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Michael Dart wrote:
    >

    >>>Hmmmm I have the same problem with my Marathon 100. It was stuck at
    >>
    > 80mm
    >
    >>>and when I released the pressure in the negative chamber it spewed oil
    >>
    > all
    >
    >>>over my front disc caliper ruining the pads. Keep me appraised of how
    >>
    > it
    >
    >>>goes.
    >>>

    >>As crappy as the Sid was for someone my size, the thing that worked well were the positive and
    >>negative air chambers. Everything else pretty much sucked, though.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >>

    > I have a 99 SID and am WAAAAYYYY happier with the Marathon even with this minor problem. The
    > damping cartridge on the SID never did a thing as far as I can tell though yeah it did hold air
    > ok. And stiff!, man, stiff as a wet noodle!

    Yep, the damping thingie did absolutely nothing (I had a '99, too, sold it for $50, wish I could
    find somebody to buy my Mars for $50). But, damn, you could dial in plushness to your heart's
    content with the negative chamber. I assume the same for a well-working Marathon.

    Greg
    --

  8. G.T. wrote:

    > But, damn, you could dial in plushness to your heart's content with the negative chamber. I
    > assume the same for a well-working Marathon.
    >
    > Greg

    Yes, marvelous adjustability. I'm always surprised by the amount of people running dual air forks
    who never take the time to *really* dial in their forks.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  9. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    Anthony Sloan wrote:

    > G.T. wrote:
    >
    >> But, damn, you could dial in plushness to your heart's content with
    >> the negative chamber. I assume the same for a well-working Marathon.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >

    > Yes, marvelous adjustability. I'm always surprised by the amount of people running dual air forks
    > who never take the time to *really* dial in their forks.

    I had some '00 SID Race forks that really had excellent suspension, even though travel was only
    63mm. Steering was terrible, but the dual air system worked fantastic. Now I run Duke Race forks,
    which have the same dual air system but actually steer as well as my old Atom Bomb...

    Miles ( I have to say, a RS Dual Air fan)

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

  11. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    JD wrote:

    >miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    ><snip propaganda>
    >
    >You sub-200 pounders are all alike...
    >
    >JD

    All the same in what way? Light?

    Miles

    ps a friend just went to Fruita to visit a college pal before Thanksgiving- he said the weather was
    perfect...