Judy Forks Springing Noise.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Watimena, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Just stripped and serviced (when I say service I mean I just cleaned it and replaced the oil) on
    my 2001 Judy XC. I also decided to switch the travel settings to 100 mm, just to see what it was
    like (incidentally it wasn't bad, handled the rough stuff better, but steering is not quite as
    sharp as before).

    Just one thing, when the fork compresses a lot, ie when I hit a big bump, I hear a springing noise
    from the left leg I think. I am assuming the left because it has a lot less oil sloshing around.

    When I bought this fork new, it did the same thing, and the bloke I bought it from fixed it. He said
    he coated the spring in grease. I noticed this when I was cleaning it. All the left internals had a
    lot of grease everywhere.....

    The noise doesn't bother me that much, however what do you think of covering the spring in grease?
    It is definitely not in the manfucturers service guide.

    I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork has been like this for the
    last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....

    Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?

    Jeremy

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I had a problem like yours when I swapped the elastomers for springs in a low line RS. So I greased
    the springs up and wamo it worked for years to come. But for less head pain or pain in the ass get
    rid of the RS. Now move on up to the other side of forks and stay away from RS.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just stripped and serviced (when I say service I mean I just cleaned it
    and
    > replaced the oil) on my 2001 Judy XC. I also decided to switch the travel settings to 100 mm, just
    > to see what it was like (incidentally it wasn't bad, handled the rough stuff better, but steering
    > is not quite as sharp as before).
    >
    > Just one thing, when the fork compresses a lot, ie when I hit a big bump,
    > hear a springing noise from the left leg I think. I am assuming the left because it has a lot less
    > oil sloshing around.
    >
    > When I bought this fork new, it did the same thing, and the bloke I bought it from fixed it. He
    > said he coated the spring in grease. I noticed this when I was cleaning it. All the left internals
    > had a lot of grease everywhere.....
    >
    > The noise doesn't bother me that much, however what do you think of
    covering
    > the spring in grease? It is definitely not in the manfucturers service guide.
    >
    > I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork
    has
    > been like this for the last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....
    >
    > Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
    >
    > Jeremy

    ISTR a top tip circulating around these parts a while ago was to chop up a road bike inner tube and
    stretch it over the spring, thus alleviating clanging noises.

    I don't have as low an opinion of the Judy as some around here but it's not really worthwhile
    spending lots of cash on it (i.e. Englund). I recently switched from a Judy C to a Bomber Z5 (air
    sprung) and whilst I don't think the bomber is as plush as the Judy, the steering is noticably more
    prescise now.

    Andy Chequer

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:06:50 +1100, "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
    >
    >Jeremy

    Jeremy, trash the Punch-N-Judy show and go rigid.

    :-]

  5. Andy Chequer wrote:

    > "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork
    > has
    > > been like this for the last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....
    > >
    > > Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
    > >
    > > Jeremy
    >
    > ISTR a top tip circulating around these parts a while ago was to chop up a road bike inner tube
    > and stretch it over the spring, thus alleviating clanging noises.
    >
    > I don't have as low an opinion of the Judy as some around here but it's not really worthwhile
    > spending lots of cash on it (i.e. Englund). I recently switched from a Judy C to a Bomber Z5 (air
    > sprung) and whilst I don't think the bomber is as plush as the Judy, the steering is noticably
    > more prescise now.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    This is good advice and the way that I'd recommend fixing it. Like you'd I'd be concerned about
    grease mixing with the oil. I've heard of others fixing it with rubber wrapped around the spring.

    Regarding the Englund cartridges, I'm not sure that this is an option on the open bath Judys. It
    worked on the old style cartridge Judys. In my opinion the Judy is a very plush fork (I have a 2000
    Race), nearly as plush as a Marzocchi Atom Race that I have, and more plush than a Marathon that I
    have. It also has very easy to control dampening, and the ability to be run at 63/80/100mm is a
    great option.. It's only weakness is it's not super stiff and does not track as well as some of the
    other forks on the market.