Judy Forks Springing Noise.

Watimena

Guest
Just stripped and serviced (when I say service I mean I just cleaned it and replaced the oil) on
my 2001 Judy XC. I also decided to switch the travel settings to 100 mm, just to see what it was
like (incidentally it wasn't bad, handled the rough stuff better, but steering is not quite as
sharp as before).

Just one thing, when the fork compresses a lot, ie when I hit a big bump, I hear a springing noise
from the left leg I think. I am assuming the left because it has a lot less oil sloshing around.

When I bought this fork new, it did the same thing, and the bloke I bought it from fixed it. He said
he coated the spring in grease. I noticed this when I was cleaning it. All the left internals had a
lot of grease everywhere.....

The noise doesn't bother me that much, however what do you think of covering the spring in grease?
It is definitely not in the manfucturers service guide.

I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork has been like this for the
last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....

Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?

Jeremy

I had a problem like yours when I swapped the elastomers for springs in a low line RS. So I greased
the springs up and wamo it worked for years to come. But for less head pain or pain in the ass get
rid of the RS. Now move on up to the other side of forks and stay away from RS.

Fire up MTB 03

"Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just stripped and serviced (when I say service I mean I just cleaned it
and
> replaced the oil) on my 2001 Judy XC. I also decided to switch the travel settings to 100 mm, just
> to see what it was like (incidentally it wasn't bad, handled the rough stuff better, but steering
> is not quite as sharp as before).
>
> Just one thing, when the fork compresses a lot, ie when I hit a big bump,
> hear a springing noise from the left leg I think. I am assuming the left because it has a lot less
> oil sloshing around.
>
> When I bought this fork new, it did the same thing, and the bloke I bought it from fixed it. He
> said he coated the spring in grease. I noticed this when I was cleaning it. All the left internals
> had a lot of grease everywhere.....
>
> The noise doesn't bother me that much, however what do you think of
covering
> the spring in grease? It is definitely not in the manfucturers service guide.
>
> I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork
has
> been like this for the last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....
>
> Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
>
> Jeremy

ISTR a top tip circulating around these parts a while ago was to chop up a road bike inner tube and
stretch it over the spring, thus alleviating clanging noises.

I don't have as low an opinion of the Judy as some around here but it's not really worthwhile
spending lots of cash on it (i.e. Englund). I recently switched from a Judy C to a Bomber Z5 (air
sprung) and whilst I don't think the bomber is as plush as the Judy, the steering is noticably more
prescise now.

Andy Chequer

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:06:50 +1100, "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
>
>Jeremy

Jeremy, trash the Punch-N-Judy show and go rigid.

:-]

Andy Chequer wrote:

> "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I am concerned about the grease mixing with the oil. However, the fork
> has
> > been like this for the last 2 and a half years, and I have ridden on it a lot.....
> >
> > Grateful for any advice...... Also has anyone tried the Englund Air Cartridges in Judys?
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> ISTR a top tip circulating around these parts a while ago was to chop up a road bike inner tube
> and stretch it over the spring, thus alleviating clanging noises.
>
> I don't have as low an opinion of the Judy as some around here but it's not really worthwhile
> spending lots of cash on it (i.e. Englund). I recently switched from a Judy C to a Bomber Z5 (air
> sprung) and whilst I don't think the bomber is as plush as the Judy, the steering is noticably
> more prescise now.
>
> Andy Chequer

This is good advice and the way that I'd recommend fixing it. Like you'd I'd be concerned about
grease mixing with the oil. I've heard of others fixing it with rubber wrapped around the spring.

Regarding the Englund cartridges, I'm not sure that this is an option on the open bath Judys. It
worked on the old style cartridge Judys. In my opinion the Judy is a very plush fork (I have a 2000
Race), nearly as plush as a Marzocchi Atom Race that I have, and more plush than a Marathon that I
have. It also has very easy to control dampening, and the ability to be run at 63/80/100mm is a
great option.. It's only weakness is it's not super stiff and does not track as well as some of the
other forks on the market.