Juicer question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by James Shugg, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get a
    large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
    celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and when
    I go back to London in April I would like to get one.

    Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
    for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

    Thanx, James

    Tags:

  2. Compost is all I can think of.

    Paul

    "James Shugg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
    > a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
    > celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
    > when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
    >
    > Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
    > for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanx, James

  3. Puester

    Puester Guest

    James Shugg wrote:

    > I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
    > a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
    > celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
    > when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
    >
    > Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
    > for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanx, James

    No, but I suspect it would make very good garden soil amendment or compost ingredient.

    gloria p

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Puester wrote:

    > James Shugg wrote:
    >
    >>I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
    >>a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
    >>celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
    >>when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
    >>
    >>Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
    >>for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

    Yes. I've used it in baking quick breads and cakes. Zucchini and carrots for cake. Ginger in
    cookies. Herbs in sauces (and strained out).

    Pastorio

  5. SportKite1

    SportKite1 Guest

    >From: [email protected]

    >Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
    >for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

    I have a customer that uses her pulp to make "crackers" in the dehydrator. She's a raw foodist. They
    are quite good actually. Flavored with different herbs and spices. I prefer the ones flavored with
    chili and cumin.

    Ellen

  6. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Puester wrote:
    >
    > > James Shugg wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you
    > >>get a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large
    > >>root), celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own
    > >>juicers, and when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
    > >>
    > >>Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer
    > >>successfully for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Yes. I've used it in baking quick breads and cakes. Zucchini and carrots for cake. Ginger in
    > cookies. Herbs in sauces (and strained out).
    >
    > Pastorio

    Yep, I've done the same. Only thing is I think you need a little bit more moisture in the breads
    (Zucchini bread for example). They come out a little tough. kilikini