Juicer question

J

James Shugg

I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get a
large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and when
I go back to London in April I would like to get one.

Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

Thanx, James

Compost is all I can think of.

Paul

"James Shugg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
> a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
> celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
> when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
>
> Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
> for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanx, James

James Shugg wrote:
>
> I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
> a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
> celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
> when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
>
> Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
> for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanx, James

No, but I suspect it would make very good garden soil amendment or compost ingredient.

gloria p

Puester wrote:

> James Shugg wrote:
>
>>I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you get
>>a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large root),
>>celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own juicers, and
>>when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
>>
>>Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
>>for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

Yes. I've used it in baking quick breads and cakes. Zucchini and carrots for cake. Ginger in
cookies. Herbs in sauces (and strained out).

Pastorio

>From: [email protected]

>Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer successfully
>for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?

I have a customer that uses her pulp to make "crackers" in the dehydrator. She's a raw foodist. They
are quite good actually. Flavored with different herbs and spices. I prefer the ones flavored with
chili and cumin.

Ellen

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Puester wrote:
>
> > James Shugg wrote:
> >
> >>I am currently in Sydney where the latest thing is fresh juice bars. For an exorbitant $A6 you
> >>get a large mix of whatever you want, my current favourite being beetroot (2), ginger (1 large
> >>root), celery (6 stalks) and carrot (6 large). Also friends in Sydney now have their own
> >>juicers, and when I go back to London in April I would like to get one.
> >>
> >>Question: has anyone used the pulp that comes out of the back of a centrifugal juicer
> >>successfully for anything? Maybe thickening stews or soups? Any other suggestions?
>
> Yes. I've used it in baking quick breads and cakes. Zucchini and carrots for cake. Ginger in
> cookies. Herbs in sauces (and strained out).
>
> Pastorio
>

Yep, I've done the same. Only thing is I think you need a little bit more moisture in the breads
(Zucchini bread for example). They come out a little tough. kilikini