Julich Out, Front Der Problems

Richard Adams

Guest
Bobby Julich has just abandoned with front derailleur problems.

Anyone know if he was using that Biopace ring again?

Three minutes lost due to slow technical support? Screw the BioPace and get on a neutral support
bike for christ sake. Must be more to this story.

jc6239 wrote:

> Three minutes lost due to slow technical support? Screw the BioPace and get on a neutral support
> bike for christ sake. Must be more to this story.

There was a mention of a bike with 'Time pedals' what's up with that?

Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the race? Apparently they didn't
have a spare machine for Julich with Time pedals. I'll bet they have lots of Shimano pedaled
spare bikes.

Richard Adams <[email protected]> writes:

> jc6239 wrote:
>
>> Three minutes lost due to slow technical support? Screw the BioPace and get on a neutral support
>> bike for christ sake. Must be more to this story.
>>
> There was a mention of a bike with 'Time pedals' what's up with that?

He was on a Telekom bike with Time Pedals.

The US standard seems to be Look. The performance in the Pits was sorta comical. They asked him to
do another lap on the faulty bike but Bobby said ''F!rk It, this is the WC''
--
le vent a Dos

Davey Crockett

> Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the race? Apparently they didn't
> have a spare machine for Julich with Time pedals. I'll bet they have lots of Shimano pedaled
> spare bikes.

That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with 9
different machines for 1 race only.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:

>> Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the race? Apparently they didn't
>> have a spare machine for Julich with Time pedals. I'll bet they have lots of Shimano pedaled
>> spare bikes.
>

> That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with 9
> different machines for 1 race only.

Davey wonders how long it would have taken to switch pedals?

Or maybe they didn't have any 15mm wrenches?

--
le vent a Dos

Davey Crockett

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:87n0c68l58.fsf@cpe0050da66e294-cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com.. .
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the
race?
> >> Apparently they didn't have a spare machine for Julich with Time pedals. I'll bet they have
> >> lots of Shimano pedaled spare bikes.
> >

> > That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with
> > 9 different machines for 1 race only.
> >

> Davey wonders how long it would have taken to switch pedals?
>
> Or maybe they didn't have any 15mm wrenches?

Or pedals.

> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> .
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> race?
> > >

> > > That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders
> > > with 9 different machines for 1 race only.
> > >

> > Davey wonders how long it would have taken to switch pedals?
> >
> > Or maybe they didn't have any 15mm wrenches?
>

> Or pedals.

Likely both.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> writes:

>> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> .

>> race?
> pedals.

>> > Davey wonders how long it would have taken to switch pedals?
>> >
>> > Or maybe they didn't have any 15mm wrenches?
>>

>> Or pedals.
>
> Likely both.

Well it's easy to criticize when you ain't Johnny on The Spot.

But he didn't have a pedal problem, and I would have thought that a mechanic would have been able to
remove two pedals and install one in around 45 seconds which is what it would have taken - assuming
there were two mechanics available.

In any case it really doesn't take a mechanic to spin pedals off and on.

Or perhaps they forgot which one was the left hand thread?

--
le vent a Dos

Davey Crockett

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the
> race?
> > > Apparently they didn't have a spare machine for Julich with Time
pedals.
> > > I'll bet they have lots of Shimano pedaled spare bikes.
> >

> > That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with
> > 9 different machines for 1 race only.
>
> I agree. That is probably the most difficult race for them.
>
> Regarding the spare situation, I had thought that normally each rider
brings
> his race machine and a spare.

Each team gets 1 car in the caravan.

Can't put 9 bikes on top of that car - not in a way where all of them are easily and quickly
accessible.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>race?

> pedals.

>>>That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with
>>>9 different machines for 1 race only.
>>
>>I agree. That is probably the most difficult race for them.
>>
>>Regarding the spare situation, I had thought that normally each rider
>
> brings
>
>>his race machine and a spare.
>

> Each team gets 1 car in the caravan.
>
> Can't put 9 bikes on top of that car - not in a way where all of them are easily and quickly
> accessible.

it sounds like there is a pit area ala car raceing....

On 10/12/2003 10:46 AM, in article [email protected], "B.
Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> .

>> race?
> pedals.

>>> Davey wonders how long it would have taken to switch pedals?
>>>
>>> Or maybe they didn't have any 15mm wrenches?
>>

>> Or pedals.
>
> Likely both.

Can't remove Time pedals with a 15mm wrench ... Not unless they've changed 'em ... Gotta use a 6mm
allen key.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:BBAF0699.1067A%[email protected]...
| On 10/12/2003 10:46 AM, in article [email protected], "B.
|=20
writes:
| >> race?
| > pedals.
| >>=20 20
| >> Or pedals.
| >=20
| > Likely both.
| Can't remove Time pedals with a 15mm wrench ... Not unless they've =
changed
| 'em ... Gotta use a 6mm allen key.

Likewise for the SPD-L pedals. I find it a hell of a lot easier to swap = pedals with a pedal wrench
than having to poke at it from the back side. = I just swapped the Looks on my wife's bike for the
SPD-L's and , = naturally, I couldn't find the 6mm. Man, that still annoys me!

The Shimano neutral support at crit during the Canadian Nationals had bikes lined up, sans pedals,
and a LARGE selection of pedals on the ground ready to go.

Steve

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

>>Does the US team have mechanics who work on the machines before the race? Apparently they didn't
>>have a spare machine for Julich with Time pedals. I'll bet they have lots of Shimano pedaled
>>spare bikes.
>

> That's gotta be a weird situation for the mechanics, trying to provide support for 9 riders with 9
> different machines for 1 race only.

Duh! You must have your countries confused. That was Canadian Nationals and we're Americans! We do
things differently. I'm sure USAC had a plan...well at least they planned on having one.