Jumping back in the pool

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Chuck Miller, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Chuck Miller

    Chuck Miller Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I've been lurking for a week or two while rereading the Atkins/Eades books
    that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years, and I can see that some
    of the things about low-carbing that I "remember" being true really aren't,
    so between the re-reads and this group, I think I'm starting out on the
    right track. I low-carbed in '99, losing 37 pounds and feeling better than
    I had in a long time, but like many people, I let temptation over-rule
    reason and gained it all back over the next couple years.
    I found out I had a couple bulging disks in my back recently, and quickly
    realized that this was a true wake-up call to lose the extra weight, (as if
    being very, very out of shape wasn't enough!) so I started in earnest on
    4/04/2006.
    I just bought a recumbent trike and sold my road and mountain bikes (darn
    herniated disks) and have just started cycling again as well, so between the
    two, and some light weight lifiting - I think this is going to be a pretty
    great thing. Nice meeting you all, and thanks for the information!

    204/198/160 ( I think I did that right!)

    Chuck

    Tags:

  2. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    Hi, Chuck! Welcome back! I was at a charity ride last Saturday and saw a
    couple of trikes. Both were tadpoles. What did you get--and why? I don't
    mean 'why the bike?', I mean why the tadpole or the delta....did you get
    USS? As you can tell, I am somewhat fascinated by these trikes.

    Pat in TX

  3. Jbuch

    Jbuch Guest

    Chuck Miller wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I've been lurking for a week or two while rereading the Atkins/Eades books
    > that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years, and I can see that some
    > of the things about low-carbing that I "remember" being true really aren't,

    Amazing, isn't it, how the book actually changed from what it was when
    you read it years ago.

    When you leave a book on the shelf for a long time, I think that the
    books change themselves in order to become more interesting should you
    ever pick them up to read again.

    You made a great start.... rereading.

    Keep it up.

    Jim

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  4. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I've been lurking for a week or two while rereading the Atkins/Eades books
    > that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years, and I can see that some
    > of the things about low-carbing that I "remember" being true really aren't,
    > so between the re-reads and this group, I think I'm starting out on the
    > right track. I low-carbed in '99, losing 37 pounds and feeling better than
    > I had in a long time, but like many people, I let temptation over-rule
    > reason and gained it all back over the next couple years.
    > I found out I had a couple bulging disks in my back recently, and quickly
    > realized that this was a true wake-up call to lose the extra weight, (as if
    > being very, very out of shape wasn't enough!) so I started in earnest on
    > 4/04/2006.
    > I just bought a recumbent trike and sold my road and mountain bikes (darn
    > herniated disks) and have just started cycling again as well, so between the
    > two, and some light weight lifiting - I think this is going to be a pretty
    > great thing. Nice meeting you all, and thanks for the information!
    >
    > 204/198/160 ( I think I did that right!)

    Hi Chuck, welcome to the group!

    --
    Saffire
    205/140/135-140 (aka JUST RIGHT!)

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  5. Chuck Miller

    Chuck Miller Guest

    Hi Pat,

    Thanks! I got a tadpole - an HP Velotechnik Scorpion with USS. The main
    consideration was seat comfort, since I messed up my back, and it felt the
    best out of the 4 or 5 I tried. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, with
    recumbents the seat are all proprietary, so even though I liked the
    componentry on a different model it didn't have as supportive of a seat so I
    bought the HP Velo. As far as tadpole v. Delta, I really liked the
    steering as well as the lower riding position of the tadpoles. I initially
    was just going to get a 2 wheel recumbent, but I couldn't get the bike
    handling down to feel safe in traffic.
    I'm debating about taking it out right now in fact. It's a sunny and 40F w/
    a clear blue sky in Chicago, but this is my first week back on the plan so
    my legs are a little sore from a long walk I took yesterday, and my hands
    are cold. Too make matters worse my wife is battling pneumonia at the
    moment, so I don't know how many more stresses I want to throw at my own
    immune system :)
    I've read your and Roger Zoul's posts on rbm, so I know it's possible to
    ride and eat low-carb, despite what people who haven't tried it say! I'm
    looking forward to the day when I can wear lycra shorts and see all of the
    elastic band on top :)

    Chuck

    "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, Chuck! Welcome back! I was at a charity ride last Saturday and saw a
    > couple of trikes. Both were tadpoles. What did you get--and why? I don't
    > mean 'why the bike?', I mean why the tadpole or the delta....did you get
    > USS? As you can tell, I am somewhat fascinated by these trikes.
    >
    > Pat in TX

  6. Chuck Miller

    Chuck Miller Guest

    Thanks Jim! That's an amusing concept re. books - I've always been
    intrigued by the new and oftentimes contrary ideas and feelings I get from
    reading something multiple times over many years.
    I sometimes wonder why in the world I ever thought this or that was
    interesting, and other times I can't believe that I didn't get past the
    first chapter the first time I approached it.

    Chuck

    "Jbuch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Chuck Miller wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I've been lurking for a week or two while rereading the Atkins/Eades
    >> books that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years, and I can see
    >> that some of the things about low-carbing that I "remember" being true
    >> really aren't,

    > Amazing, isn't it, how the book actually changed from what it was when you
    > read it years ago.
    >
    > When you leave a book on the shelf for a long time, I think that the books
    > change themselves in order to become more interesting should you ever pick
    > them up to read again.
    >

    > You made a great start.... rereading.
    >
    > Keep it up.
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > --
    > 1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    > 2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
    > 3) Don't Diet Without Supplemental Nutrients... Chapter 23 title, Atkins
    > book
    > 4) A sensible eating plan, and follow it. (Atkins, Self Made or Other)

  7. Chuck Miller

    Chuck Miller Guest

    Thanks Saffire!

    Chuck

  8. Jbuch wrote:
    > Amazing, isn't it, how the book actually changed from what it was when
    > you read it years ago.
    >
    > When you leave a book on the shelf for a long time, I think that the
    > books change themselves in order to become more interesting should you
    > ever pick them up to read again.

    They breed too. You organize your books into 4 bookshelves, and then
    when you mvoe them, it turns out you need another book shelf. And this
    continues, even though you lend books out and give them away... they
    just breed and breed and breed. Like rabbits.

  9. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    Here's a suggestion: for a mid-ride snack, take some of those mozzarella
    sticks in the individual wraps. In the summer, I stick them in my Hydropak
    next to the water bladder. I always fill the bladder up with ice cubes and
    then top it off with water. That's why I use a 100 ml pack--because I wind
    up with about 70 ml water after all the ice has been put in.

    I know you'll like the trike!

    Pat in TX

  10. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:18:09 -0500, "Chuck Miller" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    |Hi Pat,
    |
    |Thanks! I got a tadpole - an HP Velotechnik Scorpion with USS. The main
    |consideration was seat comfort, since I messed up my back, and it felt the
    |best out of the 4 or 5 I tried. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, with
    |recumbents the seat are all proprietary, so even though I liked the
    |componentry on a different model it didn't have as supportive of a seat so I
    |bought the HP Velo. As far as tadpole v. Delta, I really liked the
    |steering as well as the lower riding position of the tadpoles. I initially
    |was just going to get a 2 wheel recumbent, but I couldn't get the bike
    |handling down to feel safe in traffic.
    |I'm debating about taking it out right now in fact. It's a sunny and 40F w/
    |a clear blue sky in Chicago, but this is my first week back on the plan so
    |my legs are a little sore from a long walk I took yesterday, and my hands
    |are cold. Too make matters worse my wife is battling pneumonia at the
    |moment, so I don't know how many more stresses I want to throw at my own
    |immune system :)
    |I've read your and Roger Zoul's posts on rbm, so I know it's possible to
    |ride and eat low-carb, despite what people who haven't tried it say! I'm
    |looking forward to the day when I can wear lycra shorts and see all of the
    |elastic band on top :)
    |
    |Chuck

    I'd be very interested in knowing how the recumbent trike works out
    for you, since I've been considering buying one. I have a disability
    that prevents me from walking any considerable distance and makes
    balancing on a tw0-wheel bike impossible. I'm thinking that a
    recumbent tricycle might be exactly what I need to help me get back
    into an exercise regimen that I can do.
    --

    Peter

  11. [email protected] writes:

    > They breed too. You organize your books into 4 bookshelves, and
    > then when you mvoe them, it turns out you need another book shelf.
    > And this continues, even though you lend books out and give them
    > away... they just breed and breed and breed. Like rabbits.

    Especially when you give them a room of their own, they'll start
    overflowing into piles on the floor and other surfaces. They also
    attract other books from a distance; if you go to auctions or garage
    sales, other books will sneak into your vehicle to get to yours.

    --
    Aaron -- [email protected] -- 285/240/200
    http://www.myspace.com/aaronbaugher

  12. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

  13. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    >> They breed too. You organize your books into 4 bookshelves, and
    >> then when you mvoe them, it turns out you need another book shelf.
    >> And this continues, even though you lend books out and give them
    >> away... they just breed and breed and breed. Like rabbits.

    > Especially when you give them a room of their own, they'll start
    > overflowing into piles on the floor and other surfaces. They also
    > attract other books from a distance; if you go to auctions or garage
    > sales, other books will sneak into your vehicle to get to yours.

    Yes, all of that is true---but you haven't touched upon a vital issue: old
    books! What do you do with the books you got your son to look into colleges
    (and he went to college in 1991)? What do you do with the old copies of
    books on drugs and health matters? And what about those books on Windows 3.1
    and Windows 98? I feel as if I am doing something shameful when I try to get
    rid of books.

    Pat in TX

  14. Chuck Miller

    Chuck Miller Guest

    Hi Peter,

    The link that Pat pasted in his response is a good one. That's a very
    reputable shop and the people are great to deal with there. I've included a
    link to a more generic recumbent site, and on that site, under the message
    board/specialty, there is a lot of info about trikes.
    In my case, the seat was the driver for the whole purchase, since my back
    necesitated the best support I could get. Try riding a few of them - I
    think they are less alike than bicycles are alike since the seats vary quite
    a bit, from hard shell plastics to mesh webbing. I'm looking forward to
    putting a lot of miles on it this summer.

    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    Chuck

    "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:18:09 -0500, "Chuck Miller" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |Hi Pat,
    > |
    > |Thanks! I got a tadpole - an HP Velotechnik Scorpion with USS. The
    > main
    > |consideration was seat comfort, since I messed up my back, and it felt
    > the
    > |best out of the 4 or 5 I tried. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know,
    > with
    > |recumbents the seat are all proprietary, so even though I liked the
    > |componentry on a different model it didn't have as supportive of a seat
    > so I
    > |bought the HP Velo. As far as tadpole v. Delta, I really liked the
    > |steering as well as the lower riding position of the tadpoles. I
    > initially
    > |was just going to get a 2 wheel recumbent, but I couldn't get the bike
    > |handling down to feel safe in traffic.
    > |I'm debating about taking it out right now in fact. It's a sunny and 40F
    > w/
    > |a clear blue sky in Chicago, but this is my first week back on the plan
    > so
    > |my legs are a little sore from a long walk I took yesterday, and my hands
    > |are cold. Too make matters worse my wife is battling pneumonia at the
    > |moment, so I don't know how many more stresses I want to throw at my own
    > |immune system :)
    > |I've read your and Roger Zoul's posts on rbm, so I know it's possible to
    > |ride and eat low-carb, despite what people who haven't tried it say! I'm
    > |looking forward to the day when I can wear lycra shorts and see all of
    > the
    > |elastic band on top :)
    > |
    > |Chuck
    >
    > I'd be very interested in knowing how the recumbent trike works out
    > for you, since I've been considering buying one. I have a disability
    > that prevents me from walking any considerable distance and makes
    > balancing on a tw0-wheel bike impossible. I'm thinking that a
    > recumbent tricycle might be exactly what I need to help me get back
    > into an exercise regimen that I can do.
    > --
    >
    > Peter

  15. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    > I'd be very interested in knowing how the recumbent trike works out
    > for you, since I've been considering buying one. I have a disability
    > that prevents me from walking any considerable distance and makes
    > balancing on a tw0-wheel bike impossible. I'm thinking that a
    > recumbent tricycle might be exactly what I need to help me get back
    > into an exercise regimen that I can do.
    > --
    >
    > Peter

    http://actionbent.com/TWTRIKE.html