Jumping the Quae

beauyboy

Jun 6, 2006
Ok I think it is time for the next Poll

This is when there is a line up of cars at a set of light and you right up past cars and jump in front of the Quae. I find this a rude thing to do other motorists even though i have just found it is legel which i am sure most motorist would not know.

Beauyboy

beauyboy said:
If I remember this is also illegal if I remember the road rules right.
This is when there is a line up of cars at a set of light and you right up past cars and jump in front of the Quae. I am fairly sure this is also illegal as well as being rude and dangerous.

Beauyboy
You're wrong on all counts, and can't spell queue. Doing well :)

Here in NSW a Highway Patrol cop gave me and me mates a talk about offensive riding and road rules (I was in a motorbike club at the time). He was a semi/mate (aquaintance) who was a motorbike cop and trained upcoming motorbike cops.

Anyhoo, he said that motorbikes and bicycles are allowed to zip up between traffic, only if they remain on the right hand side of the lane. If you cross over to the left side of the right lane, you are then deemed as 'Overtaking on the near side'.

Not sure if this road rule has changed, but I know that's the way it used to be.

The road rules allow for bicycles to overtake on the left hand side,

Rule 141, Para 1 "A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless...."

Para 2 however, prohibits the rider of a bicycle from overtaking on the left of a vehicle which is turning left.

However, just because you can overtake on the left and therefore filter to the front of the queue, does not mean you should do it all the time - like all these things, one should use one's judgement and common sense to determine if this is a sensible course of action.

fauxpas said:
Here in NSW a Highway Patrol cop gave me and me mates a talk about offensive riding and road rules (I was in a motorbike club at the time). He was a semi/mate (aquaintance) who was a motorbike cop and trained upcoming motorbike cops.

Anyhoo, he said that motorbikes and bicycles are allowed to zip up between traffic, only if they remain on the right hand side of the lane. If you cross over to the left side of the right lane, you are then deemed as 'Overtaking on the near side'.

Not sure if this road rule has changed, but I know that's the way it used to be.
Bicycles are only allowed to jump the queue on the far left, as far as I know. I'm not sure whether motorbicycles are given the same concession.
I'll do it if it is the only way of making sure that I get through the next change of lights, or a very long queue, otherwise I'll wait my turn at the end.

artemidorus said:
Bicycles are only allowed to jump the queue on the far left, as far as I know. I'm not sure whether motorbicycles are given the same concession.
I'll do it if it is the only way of making sure that I get through the next change of lights, or a very long queue, otherwise I'll wait my turn at the end.
Just watch for passengers hopping out of cars when you do zip up the inside, one woman got out of a car in front of me once, in her panic to get out of the car and shut the door before I got there she shut her coat in the door and tried to walk off with quite amusing consequences....

okay heres something .................................

ill admit im confused about some intersections could i get some help as to my actions i freely admit im doing the wrong thing but i have no idea what else to do ?

one

intersection of Great North Road and Lyons Road, Five Dock
turning right from Great North Road on to Lyons Road
multi - lane road

when i am in the far left approaching the traffic lights i merge into the right turn lane like i would if i was in a car.

do i stay behind the cars in the lane or do i make my way up to the front.

if i go up to the front where do i place myself?

Lochmaree Pde and Concord Road

another crazy place??

Rhodes Estate

okay im leaving the rhodes estate and making my up the pedestian ramp onto homebush bay drive and it enters on to a Harrison road a local road controlled by lights i get to the lights but once again im at the intersection where am i placed to to right ?

brewer street turning right into ian pde

has aybody found this interection confusing .................

once again im admitting that i have trouble with my actions but if ther was a better way i wnat to know about it ?

OK i am Disgraced, I was wrong and you are right.

I just found the rule taken from QT website

"Can I overtake to the left?
Bicycles can overtake to the left of a vehicle unless:

• The vehicle is signalling to turn left.
  • It is unsafe to do so.
A cyclist must give way to a vehicle that is signalling to turn left and driving in front of the cyclist.

Section 141(2) of the Queensland Road Rules http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/...2b0021c25b/$FILE/TrantOpRURR99_01E_030201.pdf(PDF, 2.87mb*) applies"
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Beauyboy

Jeytown said:
okay heres something .................................

ill admit im confused about some intersections could i get some help as to my actions i freely admit im doing the wrong thing but i have no idea what else to do ?

one

intersection of Great North Road and Lyons Road, Five Dock
turning right from Great North Road on to Lyons Road
multi - lane road

when i am in the far left approaching the traffic lights i merge into the right turn lane like i would if i was in a car.

do i stay behind the cars in the lane or do i make my way up to the front.

if i go up to the front where do i place myself?

Lochmaree Pde and Concord Road

another crazy place??

Rhodes Estate

okay im leaving the rhodes estate and making my up the pedestian ramp onto homebush bay drive and it enters on to a Harrison road a local road controlled by lights i get to the lights but once again im at the intersection where am i placed to to right ?

brewer street turning right into ian pde

has aybody found this interection confusing .................

once again im admitting that i have trouble with my actions but if ther was a better way i wnat to know about it ?
I don't know all of those places, but the ones I do know do carry some traffic. Jeytown, I would do whatever is saftest, no point in being right if you are dead right.

beauyboy said:

This is when there is a line up of cars at a set of light and you right up past cars and jump in front of the Quae. I find this a rude thing to do other motorists even though i have just found it is legel which i am sure most motorist would not know.

Beauyboy
On the whole, I'll overtake. However, if the traffic is light, and there are many traffic lights, I won't if it means the same cars will have to overtake me over and over again. (I explained that badly, but I think you should get the picture.)

Kinda halfway. Hell yes, I'll filter forwards, and will even "anticipate" the green if it gives me a shot at a clear lane eg turning right...but no, I won't lanesplit and hog :cool:

And for all those in W.A, Section 122 of the Road Traffic Code(2000) is one to remember. It reads almost the same as Queensland Road Rules above.

I'm in Merka, not Oz, so obviously I have NFI as to the regs there. The ones quoted sound a lot like the ones here in NYC and Florida. A problem here is that since this is the capital of the Car Culture, an officer will almost automatically regard you, the cyclist, as the culprit, so even if the statute specifically allows it, the copper will start writing you up. I've had to keep xeroxes of the relevant sections in my tire bag to show the officer.

As a practical matter, most drivers barely look out the windshield, much less the others, so I go right to the front so they have to take notice of me. I'm tired of the 'I didn't see him' excuse. Be a man (woman), and look me in the eye as you run me over.

I don't think it's as simple as a yes/no answer.

I'll go to the head of the queue if I think it's safe to do so but other times it's better to stay behind a queue of cars.

The real reason that I jump the queue is that I am safer that way. I can get across to the bike lane after the lights better that way and I don't have to fight for space. Cause in a fight with I car I would loose (captain obvious). What ever way is safest is what I do. If I am better off in the line then I wait but mostly head I to the front. However, my one and only crash has been heading to the front. I hit a blob of bitumen that had rippled up that I did not see. Went over the handlebars and flat on my face. 6 stiches and a concussion for my lack of observance. :D :eek: :confused: :mad:

"Can I overtake to the left?
Bicycles can overtake to the left of a vehicle unless:

• The vehicle is signalling to turn left.
  • It is unsafe to do so.
A cyclist must give way to a vehicle that is signalling to turn left and driving in front of the cyclist.
This applies here in south Africa as well, you are also permitted to move to the front between vehicles at the traffic light, (if you can pull away safely from there is your problem) about ten years ago they made this action illegal for motorcycles and even in rush hour the MB's had to follow behind a vehicle unless they could pass as a car would. This unfortunately cancelled the benefits of commuting with motorbike, and the law was scrapped.

It doesn't matter which state you come from in Oz, we ride under "the Australian Road Rules" now. There are specific 'rights' and regulations for bicycle traffic. One of them is passing on the left.

This rule, as written in the Australian Road Rules, is not specific about whether you need to be in the far left lane to pass traffic to get to the head of the queue. If you had a cop on your back and you were in the second or third lane then you might have a problem. If you had a solicitor worth their salt then you probably wouldn't.

The passing on the left rule is an antiquated rule that doesn't apply to all situations in modern-day traffic. As some have pointed out it is sometimes advantageous to not to pass on the left. It's up to cyclists to know when to pass on the left and when to gain an advantage by yielding.

It's simple stuff. Can we move on now?

hey mikebytes thanks

i thought i would bring the locations up so that peeps would say hey im there and i find it confusing but i agree with you

jock.c said:
It doesn't matter which state you come from in Oz, we ride under "the Australian Road Rules" now. There are specific 'rights' and regulations for bicycle traffic. One of them is passing on the left.

This rule, as written in the Australian Road Rules, is not specific about whether you need to be in the far left lane to pass traffic to get to the head of the queue. If you had a cop on your back and you were in the second or third lane then you might have a problem. If you had a solicitor worth their salt then you probably wouldn't.

The passing on the left rule is an antiquated rule that doesn't apply to all situations in modern-day traffic. As some have pointed out it is sometimes advantageous to not to pass on the left. It's up to cyclists to know when to pass on the left and when to gain an advantage by yielding.

It's simple stuff. Can we move on now?
sorry for posting oh mighty one