Jumps off curbs...

jpkahoosbt

Guest
Hi guys. Just came in from a good ride, or -was- it?
Now i *can* ride off of a curb:D. BUT here's my problem:
I *CANNOT* get as high as i want or go as far as i want while i'm still
in the air. Any tips?

--
jpkahoosbt

:D If i'm not here, take me somewhere else :D
jpkahoosbt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11819

just do a rolling hop off it, you'll get better with practice, or if you
want more air just hit bigger drops

--
Radical Reed

'My Gallery has two vids in it'
(http://tinyurl.com/7of4d)
no body reads these any more
hurry up summer I miss MUni:(
011100100110010101100101011001000010000001101001011100110010000001110011011011110010000001100011011011110110111101101100
decode this'Here' (http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php)
Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

jpkahoosbt wrote:
> Hi guys. Just came in from a good ride, or -was- it?
> Now i *can* ride off of a curb:D. BUT here's my problem:
> I *CANNOT* get as high as i want or go as far as i want while i'm still
> in the air. Any tips?

Start small, then work your way up. You'll eventually be able to air
as big as you want, but you'll have to get there slowly... it took me
three months of practice to be able to rolling hop onto a bench, and I
still have a ways to go to get where I want to be...

You've made good progress with riding off a curb. Stick with that and
use that as your "measuring stick" of progress. Try hitting the curb
faster. See if you can clear both the curb and the gutter... try
taking off from the curb with your pedals in different orientations
(i.e. chocolate foot down, or at 3 o'clock, or try your opposite foot
down) and see what works best.

Once you find a pedal orientation that works (for me, it's with my
chocolate foot at about 4 or 5 o'clock), find out how to hit that
orientation repeatedly... ride at the curb at an angle then turn and
jump when the pedals are just right. Once you've got this dialed in
you don't have to worry about it anymore. After a few months of
practice you won't even think about it... you'll just "feel" when the
pedals are lined up.

Also work on lifting the unicycle when you hop... bend your knees, lift
your legs. Once you've got the lift down try tucking your body to get
even more lift. Try and get your knees up to your chest (even if you
don't, it's what you want to think about when jumping). Once you're
clearing the curb and gutter, try it backwards... try airing onto the
curb. Then find a small one or two stair set and go from there.

Good luck! Let us know how you progress...

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

maestro8 wrote:
> (i.e. chocolate foot down, .... (for me, it's with my chocolate foot at
> about 4 or 5 o'clock)

I must've missed something here...what the heck is "chocolate
foot?":confused: :confused:

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

its sometimes called your sweet foot, its when your feet are in the
correct position for hopping.

anyway, how good are you at doing rolling hops on flat? maybe you
should work on those, and getting them under control really well, and
try to go higher...then do it off curbs.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

mikael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*