junior AUS team pursuit

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan Connelly, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  3. brian roth

    brian roth Guest

    "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit
    > >
    > > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)
    > >
    > > Amazing...

    > Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference between
    > watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team) they
    > were fast, smooth and they were flying
    > Dave

    I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
    did about 4:17 at altitude.

    Some guy named Ekimov won the individual.

  4. "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

    > > > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)
    > > >
    > > > Amazing...

    > > Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference between
    > > watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team) they
    > > were fast, smooth and they were flying
    > > Dave

    Before I checked, I had thought the Aussie juniors had ridden 4:08. During
    my brief research, I didn't find anything to substantiate that, but I did
    see that the Russian juniors rode 4:07.7 in last year's worlds in Moscow.
    That _ is _ screaming _ FAST !

    > I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
    > did about 4:17 at altitude.

    This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At some
    point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
    Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders, the
    Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.

    > Some guy named Ekimov won the individual.

  5. >
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

    > > > Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference

    between
    > > > watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team)

    they
    > > > were fast, smooth and they were flying
    > > > Dave

    > Before I checked, I had thought the Aussie juniors had ridden 4:08. During
    > my brief research, I didn't find anything to substantiate that, but I did
    > see that the Russian juniors rode 4:07.7 in last year's worlds in Moscow.
    > That _ is _ screaming _ FAST !

    Further research shows the Aussie juniors first rode 4:10.10 on 30 December
    1995

    From cyclingnews.com:

    World Record Falls in Australia
    New Junior Mens U/19 4000m Teams Pursuit Worlds Record of 4 mins
    10.10 seconds.

    South Australian Riders Luke Roberts, Matthew Meaney, Luke Kuss and
    Tim Lyons shattered the 4:16.56 set earlier this year in Italy to
    ride 4:10.10. Fifth team member Matthew Sparnon and coach Ian
    McKenzie congratulated each other and the team after the successfull
    attempt. (see event 11 for splits)Event 11 Junior 4000m Team Pursuit
    "World Record Attempt"
    1K 2K 3K 4K
    World Record 1.07.38 2.10.84 3.14.26 4.16.59
    South Australia 1.05.08 2.05.92 3.08.02 4.10.10

  6. brian roth

    brian roth Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]
    > > > >

    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit
    > > > >

    > > I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
    > > did about 4:17 at altitude.

    > This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At some
    > point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
    > Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders, the
    > Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.

    At one point the Soviets were pitted against the E Germans, perhaps in the
    semifinals. It was quite a duel, until the Soviets had a complete meltdown.
    It was amazing to see how fast things could go from smooth precision to
    total chaos.

    I think it was the Czechs that pulled off that 4:13. Did the teams qualify
    alone on the track? It used to be (maybe still is) that world records had
    to be set solo on the track....

  7. "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech

    team
    > > > did about 4:17 at altitude.

    > > This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At

    some
    > > point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
    > > Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders,

    the
    > > Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.
    > >

    > At one point the Soviets were pitted against the E Germans, perhaps in the
    > semifinals. It was quite a duel, until the Soviets had a complete

    meltdown.
    > It was amazing to see how fast things could go from smooth precision to
    > total chaos.
    >
    > I think it was the Czechs that pulled off that 4:13. Did the teams

    qualify
    > alone on the track? It used to be (maybe still is) that world records had
    > to be set solo on the track....

    Due to a generally lower number of entrants, team pursuit does do the
    qualifying round with one team on the track at a time. Since seeding can
    make for some questionable pairings, riding alone on the track avoids some
    potentially chaotic passing situations.

    I don't think the one rider/team on the track to recognize world record
    stipulation is still on the books. It may have been rescinded when they
    started to do the kilo with two riders at a time, pursuit style.

  8. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

    > > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)

    > > Amazing....

    > Just goes to show what is possible when you synchronize
    > your pedals.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    Reminds me of a Steven Wright joke, "a lady comes up to me and tells
    me my socks don't match. I tell her I categorize them by thickness,
    they match perfectly"

    By synchronizing your pedals, you mean both of them right-side up,
    right? ;->

    How could you tell if your Speedplay's were synchronized?