junior AUS team pursuit

"Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit
> >
> > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)
> >
> > Amazing...

> Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference between
> watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team) they
> were fast, smooth and they were flying
> Dave

I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
did about 4:17 at altitude.

Some guy named Ekimov won the individual.

"brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

> > > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)
> > >
> > > Amazing...

> > Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference between
> > watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team) they
> > were fast, smooth and they were flying
> > Dave

Before I checked, I had thought the Aussie juniors had ridden 4:08. During
my brief research, I didn't find anything to substantiate that, but I did
see that the Russian juniors rode 4:07.7 in last year's worlds in Moscow.
That _ is _ screaming _ FAST !

> I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
> did about 4:17 at altitude.

This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At some
point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders, the
Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.

> Some guy named Ekimov won the individual.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

> > > Even more amzing to watch firsthand, there isn't much difference

between
> > > watching them perform and their counterparts (the elite Oz TP team)

they
> > > were fast, smooth and they were flying
> > > Dave

> Before I checked, I had thought the Aussie juniors had ridden 4:08. During
> my brief research, I didn't find anything to substantiate that, but I did
> see that the Russian juniors rode 4:07.7 in last year's worlds in Moscow.
> That _ is _ screaming _ FAST !

Further research shows the Aussie juniors first rode 4:10.10 on 30 December
1995

From cyclingnews.com:

World Record Falls in Australia
New Junior Mens U/19 4000m Teams Pursuit Worlds Record of 4 mins
10.10 seconds.

South Australian Riders Luke Roberts, Matthew Meaney, Luke Kuss and
Tim Lyons shattered the 4:16.56 set earlier this year in Italy to
ride 4:10.10. Fifth team member Matthew Sparnon and coach Ian
McKenzie congratulated each other and the team after the successfull
attempt. (see event 11 for splits)Event 11 Junior 4000m Team Pursuit
"World Record Attempt"
1K 2K 3K 4K
World Record 1.07.38 2.10.84 3.14.26 4.16.59
South Australia 1.05.08 2.05.92 3.08.02 4.10.10

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit
> > > >

> > I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech team
> > did about 4:17 at altitude.

> This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At some
> point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
> Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders, the
> Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.

At one point the Soviets were pitted against the E Germans, perhaps in the
semifinals. It was quite a duel, until the Soviets had a complete meltdown.
It was amazing to see how fast things could go from smooth precision to
total chaos.

I think it was the Czechs that pulled off that 4:13. Did the teams qualify
alone on the track? It used to be (maybe still is) that world records had
to be set solo on the track....

"brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > I went to the 86 worlds in Colo Springs. I think the winning Czech

team
> > > did about 4:17 at altitude.

> > This was also in the cowhorn handlebar and spoked front wheel era. At

some
> > point in the competition, a 4:13 was ridden, either by the Czechs, E
> > Germans, or USSR team. Despite having some incredibly talented riders,

the
> > Soviet team detonated fairly regularly.
> >

> At one point the Soviets were pitted against the E Germans, perhaps in the
> semifinals. It was quite a duel, until the Soviets had a complete

meltdown.
> It was amazing to see how fast things could go from smooth precision to
> total chaos.
>
> I think it was the Czechs that pulled off that 4:13. Did the teams

qualify
> alone on the track? It used to be (maybe still is) that world records had
> to be set solo on the track....

Due to a generally lower number of entrants, team pursuit does do the
qualifying round with one team on the track at a time. Since seeding can
make for some questionable pairings, riding alone on the track avoids some
potentially chaotic passing situations.

I don't think the one rider/team on the track to recognize world record
stipulation is still on the books. It may have been rescinded when they
started to do the kilo with two riders at a time, pursuit style.

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2004/jul04/juniorworlds04/?id=men_team_pursuit

> > 1 Australia 4:10.439 (57.499 km/h)

> > Amazing....

> Just goes to show what is possible when you synchronize
> your pedals.
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

Reminds me of a Steven Wright joke, "a lady comes up to me and tells
me my socks don't match. I tell her I categorize them by thickness,
they match perfectly"

By synchronizing your pedals, you mean both of them right-side up,
right? ;->

How could you tell if your Speedplay's were synchronized?