Junior Cycling

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Eric22, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Eric22

Eric22 New Member

I was wondering if anyone is around my age (14) and are involved in competive junior road cycling. If so, I want to know what its like (distance per stage, average speeds, sprinting speeds, climbs, etc). Right now I'm training a lot (50-60 miles a day) on my Giant TCR 2 and practicing climbing and sprinting. Next year I will be 15 and I plan to ride competively in junior cycling so I'm wondering how it is.

Tags:

2. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I started racing when I was around your age and my bike at the time was a Raleigh Flyer, steel frame, wheels and most of the components were steel aswell! If you're doing 50-60 miles a day with a bike like that, you've nothing to worry about. If you join a local cycling club, some of them have racing sections and do regular training sessions which arn't much easier than the races themselves. That should give you some idea as to what to expect. Usually, a club will put you in the easiest race category when you start, and then you can work your way to the top when you're good enough. I think that info is right, although I haven't raced in years so things may have changed slightly. Your local club will be of more help. Good luck!

Bill.

3. BanditBoyDavid

BanditBoyDavid New Member

Hey there. I'm thirteen my self and I race very competivly and frequetly. Right now I'm doing long distance riding (50-60+ miles) At other times of the season I do sprinting training and other things.It sounds like you're doing just fine and just keep up the GREAT work.:)
    cya on the forums

4. Patrick88

Patrick88 New Member

Thats a lot of k's to be doing a day. Make sure you are not over doing it.

5. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

You should take at least two rest days a week.

Also, What is your Average speed

6. Eric22

Eric22 New Member

My average speed is around 22-25. By the way I do 1 rest day every week, and lower the intensity the last week of every month to ensure recovery.

7. mark higgins

mark higgins New Member

22-25 mph is pretty damn fast for a 14 year old!!!Given I race at that speed(time trials) are you sure your speedo is correct? Or are you the next wunderkind......or are you talking kph?

8. Eric22

Eric22 New Member

Lol... yea my response was correct of 22-25 mph. I thought it was slow at first, I read somewhere the peloton of the Tour goes 20 mph minimum and can go as high as like 40 mph. I have the body of a sprinter really, so I suck at climbing. The flats are for me :)

9. mark higgins

mark higgins New Member

If you can sustain this level at solo training( I can't manage that level and neither can most of the riders I know) then you should get yourself competing as soon as possible as you will clean up! I don't know which country you are in but join a club in your local area as soon as possible. Someone there should be able to keep you right. Sounds like you might have a bright future if you get in with a decent coach.

10. calldano

calldano New Member

You need to contact us. www.teamcolavita.com. Check out our Junior Racing Team webpage. You can email me from there.

Dan Coleman

11. macca1234

macca1234 New Member

25mph on 50-60 mile couses. You will win the club races easily and be the next superstar or you need to adjust youre speedo lmao. the second result is the obvious favourite lol. Are you riding downhill for 60 miles or something!!! i live in albury australia where all the terrain is rolling, 25mph even for the absolute best local riders is not possible solo. In a group obviously at the local races 25mph is crawling pace.

12. macca1234

macca1234 New Member

hmm i read ur pevious threads and you are 200 pounds!!! i guess you probably could ride 22-25 on flat. I wish i could do that and still be 120 pounds!!! on a 48km TT over hilly/rolling/flat terrain with a few stoplights etc i can go 33km/h dunno about a flat ride however?