Junior Gearing

Rwm

Guest
My ten year old son has been riding on the track but will now start doing some road races. This will
be the first time that I have to deal with the 26' rollout rule for junior gearing. His bike is a
9-speed shimano triple. Some races allow for block out screws but and others don't. Do I change the
size of the big ring, or look for a cassette with a 14 for the small gear? Suggestions welcomed.

>Subject: Junior Gearing From: "RWM" [email protected] Date: 7/24/03 7:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>My ten year old son has been riding on the track but will now start doing some road races. This
>will be the first time that I have to deal with the 26' rollout rule for junior gearing. His bike
>is a 9-speed shimano triple. Some races allow for block out screws but and others don't. Do I
>change the size of the big ring, or look for a cassette with a 14 for the small gear? Suggestions
>welcomed.

I'd recommend getting a cassette with the junior gears. That's what the juniors on my team do. It's
easier than messing around with the derailleurs all the time or putting on a different chainring.
Getting the cassette should just be a matter of ordering it from your favorite shop, as I believe
Shimano makes a cassette for junior gearing. Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California
Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com