Junior Gears - now mandatory far all races

trackmomy

Dec 31, 2004
For those Juniors that do not have annual licenses yet, and plan to race next year
the rules have changed

You must ride junior gearing in all races, not just junior ones.

So yes, if you are a 17-year-old racing a pro 1/2 race, you will be required to race junior gears, and report to roll-out immediately after your race.

Some officials are talking about doing what is done at nationals - the bike is rolled out before the race and then corraled, meaning once its rolled out, you may have it only between the roll-out area and the start line.

The changes have been posted on the USA cycling web site.

Off to go change a couple of cassettes.

Got my new salsa 45T chainring. The only weakness i can see whe racing cat 5 etc. would be the sprint.

Jcyclist said:
Got my new salsa 45T chainring. The only weakness i can see whe racing cat 5 etc. would be the sprint.

No man not just the sprints. IF you are like in a break with strong guys and they are pushing a 11 you are in trouble. Its a stupit rule.

You guys realize that everyone, European Pros included, used to race with a 52-14 as their max gear? It'll teach you to spin and isn't that much different 99% of the time. I did pleanty of 1/2/3s RR on Jr gears with no issues. I doubt you need to be using a harder gear than a 14 in a sprint anyway.

Justin

I dont find it to be that much different, but I have averaged 107 rpm in a time tial anyway.

Jcyclist said:
Yea i just raced it today and it was fine
It's all right until you get into the pro 1,2 rankings. Are you going to tell me you will be all right in a 14 if some big guns are driving a break in a 11. If all you what to do is sit in then its fine, but if you what to win it's not that good.

Nathan Brown said:
It's all right until you get into the pro 1,2 rankings. Are you going to tell me you will be all right in a 14 if some big guns are driving a break in a 11. If all you what to do is sit in then its fine, but if you what to win it's not that good.
Learn how to spin

Hey man, I know How to spin. I went to Belguim and I had to race in a 52-16. So I know what it is to spin.

Nathan Brown said:
Hey man, I know How to spin. I went to Belguim and I had to race in a 52-16. So I know what it is to spin.
How much faster are the juniors in europe than those in the u.s

The races over there are not that much more faster. The thing is in every race you would ave around 80-150 riders and that was in the juniors 15-16, and sometimes you would have 2 or 3 races in that same day, So everyone was on the same playing field, because you had to race a 52-16, but over here to get the race experience you have to race in the senior men and with the new rule that you have to race in a 14 you are at a disadvantage. Thats my thoughts

If you are racing with the men dont worry about wining. Its a big deal if you can place 3rd in a senior field, thats what the teams are looking for.