junior racing pace?

whoawhoa said:
I've always passed with a 53x14
Exactly right.
But check first.
I took my son to Fitchburg and every junior had a 53X14, and those were the top USCF officials in the country. The year it was a world's qualifier.

orbearider1212 said:
The ref was wrong because I raced the whole year with a 45x11 and the officals even told me It was dead on. They rolled me out and it came to exactly 26 feet, which is the roll out length.
Ok, well, what do you know. With my 45x12, I have always just hit the edge of the line for roll-out. And by the wat Bobke, most juniors down here have 45s and 50s. And when I did have a 53 which was a while ago, I didn't pass with a 14, only a 45.

luv2ride said:
Ok, well, what do you know. With my 45x12, I have always just hit the edge of the line for roll-out. And by the wat Bobke, most juniors down here have 45s and 50s. And when I did have a 53 which was a while ago, I didn't pass with a 14, only a 45.
Then I suppose you need to realize that it will differ slightly based on tire size.

luv2ride said:
What manufacturer makes a 45 or 50 and is it compatible with regular Shimano stuff?

hombredesubaru said:
What manufacturer makes a 45 or 50 and is it compatible with regular Shimano stuff?
i use a salsa 45 big ring. Its compatible with Shimano and was made especailly for juniors.

luv2ride said:
i use a salsa 45 big ring. Its compatible with Shimano and was made especailly for juniors.
I am in australia. I race against professional european cyclists, scratch riders, awesome triathletes, ex pro's and fat ******* lol. You get all sorts here and most of the time I do fine but I am not looking forward to gear restrictions :(.

dm69 said:
I am in australia. I race against professional european cyclists, scratch riders, awesome triathletes, ex pro's and fat ******* lol. You get all sorts here and most of the time I do fine but I am not looking forward to gear restrictions :(.
By the way the pace is usually above 45km/h

dm69 said:
By the way the pace is usually above 45km/h
You don't have restrictions in Australia? Cool. No, the restrictions dont make that much of a difference, just when you are sprinting. But, you do learn to spin, and that is not a bad thing ;)

The best way to go is a 52/14. I use a 53/14 when I race in Tennessee but when I go to the big races I use a 52/14.

Nathan

I'm 15, live in northern Cal, ive only done one race which was a cat 5, ages 15-35. the ave. was around 23-27 mph in a crit. if your doing a crit stay towards the front and DON'T slow down during the turns.

I raced juniors races for 5 years and I never recalled a juniors gear ratio. I am from southern California originally. Most of the juniors I raced against the likes of joshia ng, raashan bahati, sterling magnel, and mike creed. These guys at the age of 16 were winning pro races and I cant imagine them restricting gearing there would be no way for them to out sprint pro’s with a 45. So that answers your question about racing in categorized races that it should be no problem. But do not upgrade your category by just winning junior races, I went to plenty races where I was the only one who showed. But take it from me, focus on the important stuff like school and keeping cycling fun. You don’t want to be a washed up 30 something year old mid pack pro still living with his parents with no skills except you know how to ride a bike. Get a degree/skill then focus riding your bike real competitively. I am sure your parents and coach tell you this and it does not hurt to hear it again, I have been there. Another peace of advice if you want to stay at home as long as possible do not let your parents(mostly your dad) see you eat food(mostly snacks), they will think your freeloading and food means money. Have fun.:D