junior rider (>15) wondering what equipment to buy

bobbyOCR

Aug 31, 2005
I am a junior rider in Aus and am wondering what kinds of things i need to buy (pump, tubes, clothing, what type of helmet....) and want is good to buy (cycling shoes, clipless pedals, racing wheels.....). I have a giant OCR.

Go for shorts and shoes / pedals first off. Make the interface between body and bike as comfortable as you can.

Try out different ones to find the ones that suit you best

Above all, enjoy being out there on that bike!

I started cycling at 14 and you have get to get is a pump, spare tubes and tire leavers. And cycling shorts. I wouldnt worry about racing wheel if you are just starting off cycling but clipless pedals are good to get.
Marie

bobbyOCR said:
I am a junior rider in Aus and am wondering what kinds of things i need to buy (pump, tubes, clothing, what type of helmet....) and want is good to buy (cycling shoes, clipless pedals, racing wheels.....). I have a giant OCR.
You need the pump, tubes, shorts, helmet ect. You also need to learn how to change tires properly. I didn't initally and had some troubles. Once you learn properly you are all good though. Shoes and pedals are also fairly important if you want to be any good. Once you use them you won't be able to ride withouth them.

I am a Junior Rider also ( check my sig.) and during my first season (this past year) I raced on an all-stock Trek 1500 in my first 8 or so races. Only recently did I get some Rolf Vector Pro's of Ebay. I have had a pretty good season with a lot of top 10's and a bronze at the state championship TT.

Don't worry about getting the lightest this and the lighest that just yet, and learn to adjust and fix your own bike, you will save a lot of money. Also, always buy new equipment at the beginning of a new season, never buy new stuff mid-season because it's always nice to start a new season with a new bike.

I can't wait till I get my CSK in five months