Junk bikes

JoeBanks

Oct 4, 2014
Hi all
Anyone else like cutting up and tinkering with junk bikes?

I'm not a hard core cyclist I usually ride on roads. I often pick a nice hill and ride up as far as I can and then just let gravity carry my back to my car when I'm tired. I really like rusted out junk bikes, I like tearing them down, grinding off rust putting on some spray paint, new cables, greasing up the bearings etc. Mostly I like to tinker with them.

Originally Posted by JoeBanks
Hi all
Anyone else like cutting up and tinkering with junk bikes?

I'm not a hard core cyclist I usually ride on roads. I often pick a nice hill and ride up as far as I can and then just let gravity carry my back to my car when I'm tired. I really like rusted out junk bikes, I like tearing them down, grinding off rust putting on some spray paint, new cables, greasing up the bearings etc. Mostly I like to tinker with them.
I do. I have had a bunch of 'Frankenbikes' over the years. Odd too, I've noticed that as long as one uses a reputable frame, and at least somewhat decent components, cables, levers, forks, all kinds of stuff can be somewhat 'back-yarded' together (as long as one knows and understands the basic laws of mechanics, and physics). The things can last through the toughest of sh!t. Case in point... my 1998 KHS Descent FXT.
I was perusing Craig's List one night after my scaphoid reconstructive surgery, and I found this frame, for 50 bones. I thought to myself, 'I have the rest of the parts for that in the back room.' I called the guy... asked him, "50 bucks?". He said, "nah just bring me a six-pack of beer and she's yours." Done.
Anyhoo, now I have a KHS full sus with Araya RM-20 wheels, Tektro V-brakes, Marzocchi BAM 80 z3 forks (came with the frame and still dampen like mad!), Bontrager/Continental tires, Diamondback stem, Chris King headset, and a Bontrager seat. Including the Bell full-cable kit I bought at Wally World for 12 bucks, this thing has now cost me a total of 21 dollars. She's got the ol' three-speeds only setup where I only have a functional front derailleur, and the rear end is basically single-speed with the rear derailleur as the tensioner (I think it still had the rear d. functioning in the pic). This is more than enough gears for me.

Believe it or not...this thing is fantastic. Bomb proof so far, and I put it through the paces.

I have had this bike for a year now (18 y/o bike), and have not even changed the pivots or pivot bolts (although I do re-torque and re-grease them). Been downhilling in Jackson Hole, WY, 3 times now, and pretty aggressively, although I do keep waiting for it to *SNAP*.
The rear "ShockWorks" shock even still does a somewhat decent job. ANYWAY...not a bike review...

If you DO use "rusty bikes", just make sure you are using a frame with a patina rather than an overall rust problem so as the structural integrity of the bike is uncompromised. I like the chromoloys myself.

P.S.- I know this is not a road bike as it is the Road Cycling forum, but it IS the bike I use when not distance training on my Trek 1.1
cool.png

I am not that hardcore in terms of assembling and doing some serious work in a bike but I do disassemble and modify my bikes. I don’t have the skills to cut, paint or refurbish and I usually let someone do this for me in a bike shop that I go to. But if I have the chance to learn those things, then it would really be cool and helpful to me.

I wish I could show you a photo of my basement. Somehow I always end up with other people's bikes to fix or one's they don't want to invest any time in fixing & just get rid of. I'm like a cat lady for bikes around here. I have a Schwinn with a motor on it I'm working on currently.

I've never worked on bikes, but I am glad there are those who do. I've seen and heard about so many bikes that get old and end up just collecting dust in a basement or shed but could still me made useful again.

Have any of you tinkers ever made some good money selling bikes you have fixed up? I'm sure there are a lot of kids and college students who would be thrilled to get a restored older bike for a good price.

I know I would be one of them... While I am a bit older, I like my older $20 thrift store finds, and it's more fun for me to equip these the way I want, than to get a $500 shiny new bike I can't afford.

I know I would be one of them... While I am a bit older, I like my older $20 thrift store finds, and it's more fun for me to equip these the way I want, than to get a $500 shiny new bike I can't afford, and that I would be afraid to ride.

Yea I have a bunch of old bikes in the under ground basement of my house. I usually fix them up and maintain them just for my personal satistfaction, but to be honest it is kind of fun riding those old junky bikes in my opinion.

I've never chopped up old bikes and turned the parts into newer, more reliable bikes. I have taken small parts off one bike and swapped them onto another, but that's not exactly the same thing. I have used old bike frames for other projects to make certain things, and I have to say that it's pretty fun to "Frankenstein" something from a bunch of other devices and equipment, so i can completely see why you find it so enjoyable! :)

That sort of thing is a whole other sport for me. I enjoy that more with cars and furniture, though.

I love restoring old bikes. That's how I got my User Name. I restore old classic Schwinns. My newest bike that I own is over 20 years old. And I ride all of them...a lot.

An old bicycle may just be worth $10.00 or $20.00 to someone else, but to me, they are priceless. They are transportation, freedom, and a piece of history. I have only purchased one brand new bike in my life. That was in 1994, and I still have the bike. The rest are all from the 1990s, 1980s, and even 1970s. I am on the lookouit right now for a restorable 1960s Schwinn Varisty, World Tour, or Paramount. I am fond of old Raleighs as well.

Old bikes, when restored, are reliable transportation, and deserve a home. Bikes, like people, do not lose their usefulness just because they acquire a little age.

As kids we had a new bike every so often. Maybe one ever 3 to 4 years. That left us with a bunch of old bike between the 4 of us, so there were times where we made Frankenstien bikes out of old parts. That was the fun of being a kid and too much time on your hands. We would usually tradh thos e bikes and leave them out in the rain.

adfnio said:
As kids we had a new bike every so often. Maybe one ever 3 to 4 years. That left us with a bunch of old bike between the 4 of us, so there were times where we made Frankenstien bikes out of old parts. That was the fun of being a kid and too much time on your hands. We would usually tradh thos e bikes and leave them out in the rain.
That's pretty much the same thing that happened at my house. We just put together all sort of bike part to form a monstrosity. Not the best looking bike out there but we were kids.

My kids are lucky too because they get new bikes often enough. I can't complain either because I always had a bike as a kid too and never had to mess with them, eventually I would have learned something if I did.

I'm no expert but I like to take old bikes that no one wants and fix em up like new, and then give them away to people who want them as gifts.

I could never use junk bikes only because of how they ride after a period of given time, they are no longer useful to me once they start to get old. What i do is, pick up junk bikes and tend them to fix them up a little bit and donate them to people who are in need.

I use junk bikes as temporary bikes or as an extra one if my friends forget to bring their own. They may be junk, but it doesn't mean they are unusable! Better yet if you put the effort into preparing them and selling them off, you could make a quick buck or two.

I don't even like that expression! I have a really old bike, eventually 20 years old or more and I don't ride it often, but it's still in decent shape and can provide good moments.