Just a thought - Shimano Hollowtech II, Race Face® X-type, FSA® Mega EXO, Truvativ Giga X Pipe......

Wasatch5k

Guest
So let me get this right,

They integrate the headset to give the bike a sleeker look and hide those
ugly bearing cups. Then they take the bottom bracket with it's hidden
bearings and add headset style cups. IMHO things are not getting better,
just more expensive.

Nate

"Wasatch5k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So let me get this right,
>
> They integrate the headset to give the bike a sleeker look and hide those
> ugly bearing cups. Then they take the bottom bracket with it's hidden
> bearings and add headset style cups. IMHO things are not getting better,
> just more expensive.

Sort of.

The headset is integrated because the headset becomes a lot cheaper if they
don't have to make it look good.

The large pipe BB's were made so that they could use lighter materials to
make cranks and not break out at the BB interface.

The larger spindle forced the ball bearings to become so small that they
became unreliable. So they moved them out in order to make them larger and
better wearing.

Bicycles are a super example of balanced engineering. It is REALLY hard to
improve on the standard bicycle from 1990.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:37:12 -0600, "Wasatch5k" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>So let me get this right,
>
>They integrate the headset to give the bike a sleeker look and hide those
>ugly bearing cups. Then they take the bottom bracket with it's hidden
>bearings and add headset style cups. IMHO things are not getting better,
>just more expensive.
>
>Nate

For well rehearsed reasons, integrated headsets are a BAD THING.

Putting the BB bearings outboard of the BB shell is just a temporary
accommodation while we wait for a new BB shell standard which will
accommodate big bearings and big tubular spindles. We're a long way
from the practical limit of BB spindle diameter, 50mm wouldn't seem
too big.

Things don't necessarily get better, but change is required to drive
consumer spending.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts