Just an FYI - Sigma bike computers are fragile.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I now have trashed my third Sigma BC 1909 HR unit. Performance wise, it's great. The problem is in the construction - thin fragile plastic case, fragile buttons which come off easily. I trashed 2 of the 3 in single falls where they impacted the ground or other surface.

At least you didnt lose it... My last Cateye unit got "ejected" a couple of times... At braking, slow speed impacts ect... On the last "ejection" I found out hours later so its gone...
sad.png

I haven't had that happen yet. The dumb part is, I bought one last spring, like the heart monitor feature better than the one on my Polar, so I bought 3 more, one for each bike, they were on sale about $35 off the regular price. Then, since I ride almost exclusively my hybrid, as I broke them I would just swap them out. When the last one dies, I think I will check out the HR monitors that work on Bluetooth with MapMyRide. One advantage of the cheaper wired units, I guess, they are hard wired to the bike frame.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

One advantage of the cheaper wired units, I guess, they are hard wired to the bike frame.
Yeah but the unit is still detachable. I lost the unit and then I had only the bracket and magnet sensors left, which I throwed away...
sad.png

This is not an inexpensive sport!
Which reminds me that I need to buy some 10euro chain lubricant again...
big-smile.png

That's about $15 American. I assume it's a high quality lubricant, since it's pricey. Friday or Saturday I'm taking the plunge on the road/tri bike. I am willing to go to a ridiculously high figure when it comes to price. I can try to rationalize it as buying quality, but I will be honest and call it what it is, buying a little happiness. I get down a lot, I know material things aren't the answer per se, but what I can do with that particular bike could help a lot. At least I hope so. Something to look forward to over a harsh winter here.

That's about $15 American. I assume it's a high quality lubricant, since it's pricey.
Its a non spray, teflon bottled one... Good for about just 15 lubrications...
sad.png

Quote:
Friday or Saturday I'm taking the plunge on the road/tri bike. I am willing to go to a ridiculously high figure when it comes to price. I can try to rationalize it as buying quality, but I will be honest and call it what it is, buying a little happiness. I get down a lot, I know material things aren't the answer per se, but what I can do with that particular bike could help a lot. At least I hope so. Something to look forward to over a harsh winter here.
What are ya getting then?
big-smile.png

I won't really know until I get there. They have a couple of models of Venge in stock, and a couple of Specialized Roubaix, several Tarmacs. But I am open, could do another brand entirely. I should stop on the way home from work one of these nights and check it out ahead of time, so I have a better idea of where I'm headed.

Well, I did some shopping on the way home, but I hadn't planned on it, and it wasn't for a bike. My car is acting up, I keep getting it repaired. Done with that, I stopped by a couple of dealers on the way home. So, I will be buying a new car and a new bike this weekend - they have incentives through the end of the month on various models.

I won't really know until I get there. They have a couple of models of Venge in stock, and a couple of Specialized Roubaix, several Tarmacs. But I am open, could do another brand entirely. I should stop on the way home from work one of these nights and check it out ahead of time, so I have a better idea of where I'm headed.
Mmmmm... Tarmacs....
love.png

So, I will be buying a new car and a new bike this weekend - they have incentives through the end of the month on various models.
End of the month is the only time to buy a car, the salesmen depend on their commish and will do crazy deals to get another sale.

Yeah, I'm doing pretty well. I get employee pricing through a relative, plus incentives and some credit points on my GM card. So about. 5 K off of a roughly 33K vehicle. Enough to pay for the bike!

So, I did stop at LBS last night on the way home. Talked to the owner, who coincidentally is a really good friend of the trainer who will be doing the triathlon program I signed up for. He is strongly recommending I go with a Roubaix as a good, versatile, comfortable all-purpose road bike. I am inclined to go with his suggestion.

So, I did stop at LBS last night on the way home. Talked to the owner, who coincidentally is a really good friend of the trainer who will be doing the triathlon program I signed up for. He is strongly recommending I go with a Roubaix as a good, versatile, comfortable all-purpose road bike. I am inclined to go with his suggestion.
Hmmm... I would road test a Tarmac first. Its triathlon and endurance bikes (even road bikes like the tarmac) are a bit no no...

But... If you "screw" the triathlon both of those are fine.

A Venge or Shiv are a bit more Triathlon... (probably)
big-smile.png

0.jpg

True, but ... Keep in mind, this is VERY amateur triathlon, and I wouldn't give a rat 's ass if I even finished. Just competing would be the victory, and I would expect to be passed by by virtually every other competitor. Especially the younger guys who aren't stopping to puke a couple of times during the run. What I should do is email the tri program coach and ask him what he thinks. Still thinking just a good all-around road bike might be best.

Still thinking just a good all-around road bike might be best.
A good all-around would be...

Eeeeehmmm I ment a tarmac:
big-smile.png

I would tell you other brands stuff but specialized is kinda heavy on the TT game...

If you wanna check some other brand TT bikes check also Fuji maybe. They got a model with "hidden" brake calipers for aerodynamic performance (full aero bike) and Look also makes a bike with some golf ball texture-like paint...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut:
big-smile.png

0.jpg

MotownBikeBoy said:
Well, I plan on road testing a couple at least.
The Roubaix is a much better all around bike than the Tarmac. The Tarmac is noted for having an uncompromising ride which some may find harsh.