Just another newbie who needs help with buying a bike

GSound

Dec 28, 2011
Hi All,

Basically, I'm buying my first bike in 20+ years and relearning how ride again. My lady (who got me back on a bike) recommended I get a hybrid as we mostly bike on pavement and gravel. No real offroad conditions, but some dust. I'm 39, in moderate shape and we plan on going on quick rides to the store or as long as 10-15 mile loops on paths and of course urban riding. She owns a Cannondale and a Bianchi bike.

I've been to about 6-7 stores and these are the options I like best. The prices reflect the price ranges I have found for the bikes.

• Public bike V7, $650
  • Trek Navigator 2.0, $395 - $450
  • Trek Navigator 3.0, $512 - $566
  • Breezer Greenway DX, $599 - $699
  • Breezer Uptown 3, $629 - $829

Any help or suggestions is appreciated as I'm super new to all of this...no assumption of my lack of knowledge is unplausable ;^P

Thanks again for any assistance,

Jon

Originally Posted by GSound .

Hi All,

Basically, I'm buying my first bike in 20+ years and relearning how ride again. My lady (who got me back on a bike) recommended I get a hybrid as we mostly bike on pavement and gravel. No real offroad conditions, but some dust. I'm 39, in moderate shape and we plan on going on quick rides to the store or as long as 10-15 mile loops on paths and of course urban riding. She owns a Cannondale and a Bianchi bike.

I've been to about 6-7 stores and these are the options I like best. The prices reflect the price ranges I have found for the bikes.

• Public bike V7, $650
  • Trek Navigator 2.0, $395 - $450
  • Trek Navigator 3.0, $512 - $566
  • Breezer Greenway DX, $599 - $699
  • Breezer Uptown 3, $629 - $829

Any help or suggestions is appreciated as I'm super new to all of this...no assumption of my lack of knowledge is unplausable ;^P

Thanks again for any assistance,

Jon
I'll try to help since I went through a similar process. The Public and Breezer bikes have frames suitable for add-ons such as racks, fenders, baskets. If this is important to you (trips to store), then I'd narrow my choices to these 3. If terrain (hilly) is an issue, the Breezer DX has more gears (21 speeds) the Public has only 7 speeds.
The Treks have no ability to add anything like racks, fenders or panniers...
If fitness is also a parameter, the Breezer DX is more of a road/commuter/fitness mix so you'll be able to ride longer distances. The Treks are heavier bikes and have suspension forks so you'll have a cushier ride at the expense of speed.
Make sure you get the correct size and that you are able to switch stems (longer, shorter, more rise, etc) for the first few weeks of use until you get comfortable OR just make them put an adjustable stem. You can negotiate these issues at purchase.
Keep in mind: the more you ride, the faster you'll want to go. As fitness improves, the longer you'll want to ride. The longer you ride, the more terrain variation you'll find...
Hope this helps

http://www.cyclingforums.com/forums/threads/full_editor/posttype/reply/fullpageid/488470

Thanks so much for this advice! This is exactly what i was looking for. My lady, an experienced rider, was pushing for the Public, but I think she forgot to factor in the hills. While the Trek would have been more affordable, she does tend to be pretty speedy whether we run, kayak, etc and I'm sure biking will be no different and the speed will help. So it's looking like the Breezer is the winner here, which oddly was a gut instinct (plus it's made by a local company!). Thanks again for the help! Happy riding in 2012!

Originally Posted by GSound .

Thanks so much for this advice! This is exactly what i was looking for. My lady, an experienced rider, was pushing for the Public, but I think she forgot to factor in the hills. While the Trek would have been more affordable, she does tend to be pretty speedy whether we run, kayak, etc and I'm sure biking will be no different and the speed will help. So it's looking like the Breezer is the winner here, which oddly was a gut instinct (plus it's made by a local company!). Thanks again for the help! Happy riding in 2012!
you may also want to look at the Giant Transit series; Escape 0, 1, or 2; typically VERY good value for less money:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape/8910/48611/
OR the Rapid series

Fantastic! I found a store nearby that also has this bike. I'll definitely take look. Thanks again, so much...